General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TI Swimming and whether to continue swimming laps... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-14 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: TI Swimming and whether to continue swimming laps...
Newbie question here - but I need to perfect my swimming (doesn't everyone) - so I got the TI book and hit the pool yesterday for lesson one - ok - honesty here - this method is going to take awhile for me to catch on I think. I came home and ordered the dvd - which probably won't be here for awhile. So...in the mean time...

1) should I plug along with the lessons in the book - only advancing when I feel ease with the postition - and skip all other lap swimming.

2) Should I plug along with the lessons - but still work in some laps?? Just to keep my fitness in the pool where it is?

3) Should I skip the TI lessons and just swim laps until my dvd video gets here and I can be assured I'm doing it right?

HELP!

Carrie

2005-07-14 8:23 AM
in reply to: #197860

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: TI Swimming and whether to continue swimming laps...
Is there a master's league you could swim with?  I didn't even mess with the swim books and videos.  I signed up wto swim with a mater's league- it's great.  There's a coach there to help me with my technique and gives us swim workouts and everything.  I would recommend swiming with a master's league, but that's just my personal preference. 
2005-07-14 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

I had the same initial problem when I first got the TI book last year.  I worked on the basic drills, and did some 'regular' laps while waiting on the DVD.  When I did laps, I would concentrate on the points that the drills try to make: glide through the water, rotating your hips when rolling, stay long and thin, etc.  In a short time, I went from barely makgin 500 yards, to 2000 (and much stronger), and from 2:15/100 to 1:45/100 (the other day - a new PB for me!)

I suggest doing some drills as part of your warmup, or pre-set, to build the muscle-memory before you do your regular workout.  It'll all come together.

2005-07-14 9:18 AM
in reply to: #197896

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
The onlty problem I have with the masters league in my home town is you must be able to swim a mile without stopping and I am not there yet!! I am not sure if the OP is there yet or if they even have those restrictions elsewhere (I am proud and pleased to say I am almost there).

Right now just perfect your Freestyle stroke and do drills that will help that, such as Zippers.
2005-07-14 10:29 AM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Do you have a race coming up?

I started TI in February and completely ditched my old stroke.  Then I spent about ten weeks doing nothing but TI.  After that, I spent another ten weeks building up my endurance before my first race last week.

So I'd say, if you have a race coming up make sure that your working on the endurance for it.  Then if you have more time in your session, work on drills.  Might be best to do the drills first so that you have muscle memory going into your swim workout.

If your race is a ways away, I'd say just concentrate on the drills until you put your new stroke together.  It's worth the effort.

When this season is over, I plan on splitting my sessions with roughtly 1/2 being devoted to drills (including backstroke) and 1/2 to swimming.
2005-07-14 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
I'm training for my first triathlon and am a total rookie in the swimming department.  I started training on June 5 for my first tri which will be on August 14 - so that gave me roughly 10 weeks to get it together.  I signed up for two private lessons and took the first one....it was a waste of money.  The instructor clearly had little experience and what experience she had was most likely with kids.  I figured I'd try it alone and struggled for a couple weeks never being able to swim more than 1 length without hugging the wall and gasping for breath.  About 2 weeks ago I got the TI book and DVD - thankfully!  I definitely recommend the DVD because it brings the drills to life and gives you a mental image of how you should look and feel in the water.  For the last two weeks, I have been in the pool 4 days per week for 1 hour each session doing nothing but the drills - absolutely no swimming at all and it's made such a huge difference I can't even tell you.  It truly is about form and efficiency - not strength or endurance.  I've begun ending my sessions with about 15 minutes of actual swimming and breathing practice and the lifeguard where I swim said the difference is amazing.  I could swim my race distance (1/2 mile) easily today, but I still need work on my balance when I breath to the left.  TI works, but you have to dedicate most of your time for the next few weeks to nothing but drills.  I'm thankful I have! 

2005-07-14 12:07 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
When I got the book (never did get the dvd), I started out by doing a few sessions of just drills. Then half drills and half lap swimming too. Eventually I only did the drills as my warmup.

And I've been really happy with my results.
2005-07-14 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I didn't swim over the winter due to a rotator cuff injury from swimming incorrectly.

In March, I took a TI class at an expo and a fellow BTer gave me the name and number of a TI coach who lives near me and actually belongs to my YMCA. I took private lessons about every 2-3 weeks. I did nothing but TI drills for more than 8 weeks...worked on balance and timing. My Tri coach and my TI coach both encouraged me not to do regular swimming since it confuses my muscle memory. Doing drills is trying to teach me new ways...mixing in my crappy old swimming defeats the purpose. Turth is most people won't or don't stop doing freestyle while learning TI..so they may not transform their stroke as much.

My old stroke was horrible and I wanted to relearn how to swim. In my first Tri in late May my swimming hadn't really come together, nor in my second. I did drills mixed with swimming. By late June I could swim the TI method...much more comfortable, efficient with a  much lower stroke count plus I'm 30-60 seconds faster per 100 yards than before.. Now I can swim for 45 minutes and probably could keep swimming longer. It took me longer to get the swimming from drills than most people...but I finally got it.

I encourage anyone wanting to learn the TI method to look on the website and also call TI to see if there is a coach near you. Some offer group classes on their own or offer private lessons. I think I have spent less than $250 but it has helped me and imporved my enjoyment of Tris so much. Many TI coaches are not listed on the website since the website was geared for full time coaches. The TI clinics put all the learning and practice into a weekend. I felt I'd learn and retain better learning then practicing for 5-10 hours and then learning more. My coach has most people learn the TI method in 3 lessons...for me very good use of money. Anyone in the RI/SE MA area, want to know about my coach go to www.bigdreamfitness.com

It is harder to change your swimming in the middle of the summer when you have Tris. I think I'd work on drills and also do freestyle practice, but once your Tris are over drop doing freestyle until you have mastered all the drills.

2005-07-14 12:37 PM
in reply to: #198199

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

I too did nothing but TI drills for two months after my TI workshop and before I started "swimming".  I had such a surge in my confidence in my swimming ability after the clinic, that I trusted my TI instructors and followed the practices that they gave us. Oftentimes, I wore fins so that I could get through the drills faste.

I'm such a beleiver in the TI method because it took me from zero to swimming without drowning in very little time.

2005-07-14 12:42 PM
in reply to: #197961

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

nliedel - 2005-07-14 9:18 AM The onlty problem I have with the masters league in my home town is you must be able to swim a mile without stopping and I am not there yet!! I am not sure if the OP is there yet or if they even have those restrictions elsewhere (I am proud and pleased to say I am almost there). Right now just perfect your Freestyle stroke and do drills that will help that, such as Zippers.

I'm glad that's not the case for the Master's league in Augusta.  I started out only being able to swim 50 yards at one time- that's all I could handle.  Luckily they didn't have restrictions like that or else I would have had to resort to private lessons or that dvd.

2005-07-14 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Thanks everyone!! My first tri is Sept 11th - so I have about 2 months. Hmmm...what to do...what to do.

I'll probably do the drills first - and then keep my endurance with my swimming - and then after the tri - spend the winter perfecting the TI stroke.

Hopefully - it will all work out in the end.

Carrie

2005-07-14 4:56 PM
in reply to: #198252

User image

Champion
MA

workoutbunny - 2005-07-14 1:02 PM I'll probably do the drills first - and then keep my endurance with my swimming - and then after the tri - spend the winter perfecting the TI stroke. Hopefully - it will all work out in the end. Carrie

My TI coach did an Ironman practicing mostly 25 yds at a time. She told me you build endurance doing the drills. Not sure the distance you are doing...but if you do drills for 30-45 minutes at a time 3 times a week you'll be building endurance. Since you have two months, consider taking say 2 weeks and only do drills.

I copy the book or my workouts and put them in a gallon ziplock and bring them to the pool to do.

2005-07-14 5:25 PM
in reply to: #198591

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

****consider taking say 2 weeks and only do drills.****

Ok....I'll do that :-) Will I be able to learn them in two weeks? Ok...stupid question - I know that depends. Now...if my DVD would just get here - it will be sweet.

Carrie

Edited by workoutbunny 2005-07-14 5:26 PM
2005-07-14 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
I did it the hard way... still haven't watched a single dvd or even had a master swimming participation... I'd like to and this blog makes me want to go buy one now... I definitely need some better structure and drills...  I started swimming (for the first time basically .. I was just a casual floater before ...) last September.  I started with a breast stroke and free style mix and averaged about 20 minutes doing less then 1/2 a mile... and I was totally exhausted... Couldn't do more then 3 or 4 lengths of free style... total weakling I guess...  Its been 9 months now... and I suppose I could have done lessons and watch the dvds... I log all my times and have since improved to doing 2.5 miles so far as my longest distance and I can do a mile (in the pool at least) doing free style the whole way.. .with little or no breaks...  I have done 1.5 free style as my max...  the free style was tough for me... I just kept going to the pool and spending 1/2 hour to 1 hour ... getting my mileage and getting my form to work for me... now I finish a mile in 30-35 minutes...  Its funny now, I can 'feel' it when I am swimming right...I just glide... other times ... I feel like I am sinking and flooping and turning to much...    Of course I am still a slow poke by race standards... but I am getting there... another year (next summer) and I should be above average.... at least thats my hope anyhow...  I gotta get one of those dvds..!   
2005-07-14 9:02 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Use a swim coach and a tri coach who both utilize the TI technique, somewhat. TI is great for swimming alone but there are some minor changes to use while racing. Just things like drafting, sighting, collisions,
I will say that the TI technique makes swimming very comfortable and enjoyable.
2005-07-15 8:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis, MN

If you check the free video clips on this site, you can at least get a visual before your DVD arrives.

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

What worked for me was spending half my workout on drills and half on laps.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TI Swimming and whether to continue swimming laps... Rss Feed