United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 58s
Overall Rank = 35/176
Age Group = M35-30
Age Group Rank = 8/17
Event warmup:

As hot as it was, just standing around was a bit of a warm up. Chatted with 2Goggs and then met Cheri (NRG) (HI CHERI!!!), in Transition, which was cool.

2goggs and I got in the water and swam about 100 or so. It was some WARM water. Ugh.

No wetsuit didn't bother me, but it definitely was bothering some others.
Swim
  • 10m 3s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

I knew I wanted to get up to the front of the group as it was going to be a washing machine and it definitely lived up to the billing. Had to Tarzan swim the first 25-50 meters because I was trying NOT to get kicked in the face. It was probably the best action I had gotten all week. Unfortunately, it was from a bunch of dudes. ;)

After the first 100 meters, it thinned out quickly and I sited a few times and saw that I was at the front of a small group that was behind a lead group that was really parting the waters. I was all alone in the front of that group for almost the entire swim. 2 guys finally caught me in the last 25-50 meters but other than that, I'm ok with the time. I think, mainly, because there was also a LONG run up to T1 where the timing mat was, so I'm figuring that it was at least another 50-60 seconds to that mat.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It was hot and wet. And that was BEFORE I got in the water. :)
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Transition was set up pretty funky. I was fortunately right at the swim in, which also was run out. Changed out relatively quickly, got the shoes on and off I went.

Nothing. 6th in AG and 26th over all. Not bad.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 32s
  • 26.08 miles
  • 20.45 mile/hr
Comments:

I did MUCH better here than I expected. 20.4 MPH was pretty good for me on such a long course. I knew there was a headwind on the outbound so I tried to keep it above 19mph (just like QC triathlon) knowing I would have a tail wind on the way back in.

This is a VERY LONG ride for a Sprint course. Pretty flat, although I did hear some folks complaining about the hills. Hope those folks never do Galena. :)

Anyway, I tucked into aero the entire ride except sharp turns and it really paid off. So has the training with Mark. I did this ride and still had stuff in the tank. At least I thought I did. More on that later.

Probably drink more. I did almost drain both bottles, but I found out later it wasn't enough.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Again, right close to Run out so I didn't have far to go. Still having issues with the racing belt and number though. I'm really going to have to figure something out about that because it is annoying and gets me out of my rythym going into the hardest part of the triathlon.

Also probably body glide the shoes. I blistered and tore the hell out of my feet on this run. More about that in a minute. 6th in AG and 23rd overall. Again, not bad. I'll take it.
Run
  • 27m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

AND the wheels fell off the bus again. 1/5 mile in and I feel a blister already rubbing on my right achilles. And it was H.O.T. I knew it was going to be hard, but I thought, it is only a 5k, you wuss, push through it. Made it out of the park, onto the main road and into the full sun and ooff this was NOT going to be fun.

Hit the first water station just past the 1 mile mark and took some water and drank it and poured it over my head. I felt for the Oly folks. Talk about a suffer fest. Turned the corner, saw the turn around and realized I was ready for the 1/2 way mark.

Made the turn around and then started to feel the blister forming under my left ankle. I get this one almost all the time, and usually about this point so I just suffered through.

A big guy passed me. We went through the water station at mile 2 (same as mile 1), wash, rinse, repeat as with the first time.

Down a very small hill, and as we were rounding the curve, I saw him pull up holding his hammy. Not good. He started to come back onto the road to run again. "Don't do it if is a pull, just walk it in" I yelled. "Only a cramp" he said. God help him, he kept pushing on.

Into the park, ahhhhhh shade!! and towards the finish. I knew this was going to be a very bad run, but at this point, I just wanted it over. I knew I was getting over heated and just didn't want to risk it.

Into the finish chute, heard Beth hollering at me, big smile for the camera, over the line aaaaand I'm done!!!

Train more in heat to get acclimated to it.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line, grabbed 2 water bottles and headed to the shade. Shed both shoes immediately. The insides of both were a bloody mess and so were my feet. Oh well. Next race isn't until August 13th so I have plenty of time.

Then just stayed in the shade till Beth came over. We both started to get a bit worried about 2Goggs cause he wasn't in yet. Walked around a bit, I went back into transition, got some more water (I downed the first two in record time and wound up downing 7 total before we left the park)and started to talk back to my rack. Then I saw Tony. PHEW. He had a nightmare of a bike leg. Check his RR out to see why.

He went on his way and Beth and I got all my stuff together and got it out of transition. They were pretty nice to let us do it, but they had a pretty good security system set up. Overall a well run race.

Side note: I did come across one guy in the food tent that was on the ground with his hand over his head. I've seen this in some people and you can tell if they are faking it. He wasn't. He was in trouble.
"You ok?" I asked.
"No".
"You need a med?"
"Just point me in the direction and I'll go there"
"UMMMmmmmm... no. Let me get one"
Fortunately, a volunteer heard us and went to get one. Long story short, he had downed 3 bottles of water, and was suffering from some pretty severe hit distress. I don't think he was at the heat stroke level yet. While we were waiting for the Paramedics to get there, I put my ice cold water bottle under his neck and just talked to him for a bit. The meds got there and I left. I came back a few minutes later and he was gone so I'm assuming he checked out ok.
Moral of the story: pay attention to those around you. At least 5-6 people just walked around him without even looking at him. Who knows what could have happened if nobody did anything. Glad he was ok.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT.

HEAT.

HEAT.

Event comments:

This is a VERY well run race. TONS of volunteers. Thinking I might come back next year and do the Oly instead. Just a good race. Wonder, though, if they should consider moving up the start time an hour if the heat is typical. Will have to do more research. Either way. It was good.

Last updated: 2010-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:03 | 500 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 28/176
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Straight out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:32 | 26.08 miles | 20.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/17
Overall: 44/176
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:03 | 03.11 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 67/176
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back on road in park
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-22 3:51 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: Evergreen Lake Sprint Triathlon

2010-07-22 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2998613

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Evergreen Lake Sprint Triathlon
How can I not love a HOT WET experience???? And btw, you not wearing a wetsuit would not bother me AT ALL.

Super, super, super execution. Tough to be fast in a washing-machine sprint swim, but you did it. Super bike, and way to gut it out on the 5K, which under the best of circumstances would suck.

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!
2010-07-22 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
great job crowny pushing through that heat.  It was so freakin hot!  I assume that you were talking to Cheri and Tony when i walked up to say hi to them and i apologize that i didnt introduce myself.  I was the volunteer checking for wetsuits at the start line.

2010-07-23 7:09 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Not a bad race Crowny.  A very hot day from what I've heard/read.  Your feet issues don't sound like fun.  I really wish I could have gone to this race, a ton of people I knew where there.
2010-07-23 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2999473

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Good race, crowny. Sounds exactly like my race last weekend...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed