UBC Rec
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 47s
Overall Rank = 18/56
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Had an absolutely TERRIBLE sleep the night before, and woke up feeling so overtired that I almost felt drunk. I also didn't really feel up to eating anything (and didn't really have any dinner the night before due to feeling pretty icky), so I had a cliff bar and some water around 6:30 or so and that was about it.... not a great way to start the day!

It was then that I realized that I hadn't packed my knapsack the night before, so I had to scramble to find everything... tri suit, check... running shoes, check... goggles, check... and eventually out the door I go. Only to have to turn around and come back in because I forgot my helmet. Back out the door! Wheee - ready to go!... Nope. Back inside as I had forgotten my water bottle. Okay... 3rd time out the door, really, I swear this time I'm ready to go! Nope (again)... it might help if I had my bike shoes with me. Sigh. I'm FINALLY ready to leave - open the door to the shed so that I can get my bike, and I'm promptly chased out by bees. Yep, that's right - I shrieked like a little school girl and ran out of there. I swear these were no ordinary bees... they're bees on steroids! Big-assed suckers that decided not only to start a nest right beside where I keep my bike, but they also took exception to me wanting to get my bike out! Damn those things were ORNERY! There was finally a little lull in the action, so I grabbed my bike out of the obviously perilous and dangerous location it was in and was on my way :)

Because the race is so close to my place, I just rode there - took me all of about 10 minutes to ride there, and then 45 minutes to figure out what the hell was going on. I got sent into the aquatic center to fill out my waiver and get my wet bag which was no problem... then back out to the transition area as that's where I was told to go. Nope, I had to do the pre-race bike check which past the sign-in area - so I dropped my stuff where I wanted to put my bike and headed out again, almost at the bike check when I realize that I forgot my helmet. Arrrrggghhh!!! Back to transition I go to get it(check my watch to make sure I've still got time) and then back over I go. The bike check goes smoothly - so I'm thinking that my luck has finally turned around for the day! That impression was short-lived as I get back to the transition area to find that some kind person has decided to move my things and put his bike ON my stuff. He didn't move my shoes, my race number, or my wet bag... he just put his bike ON my stuff, but moved my knapsack off to the end of the bike rack as it was "in his way". Nice. So after a few words with him, and thinking that my glare from behind my sunglasses was sufficient enough for him to feel the wrath that was being sent his way, I found another spot to rack my bike and headed in to get my timing chip and get marked.
Event warmup:

As I rode my bike from my place to the race site, I didn't really feel the need to warm-up so much.
Swim
  • 14m 27s
  • 766 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Right from the first stroke with my right arm I knew it was going to be bad. My arm STILL isn't healed from almost 2 weeks ago, and my bicep was screaming at me right from the beginning. I had FINALLY put myself in the proper speed group, only to not be able to swim my race because of my stupid arm. Frustrating to say the least.
What would you do differently?:

Not have some stupid lab-tech nick an artery in my arm 2 weeks previously?
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition was a breeze - dried off the feet a little, into the bike shoes, helmet on, race number on, sunglasses on - and I was good to go!

Nada, it was pretty smooth... about the only things that went well for me today were the transitions.
Bike
  • 48m 23s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I HATE WIND!!! I don't think I can really say that often enough... WIND SUCKS!!! Hmmm... that almost made me feel better - but not quite. I knew from riding out to the race that it wasn't going to be fun, but I was hoping that at least there would be a tailwind for part of it. Nope. My arm was already sore & pretty gassed after the swim as I had to use my legs more than I wanted (stupid arm!) and once I got on the bike, it was either my arm giving me huge grief with holding me up, or my right knee being angry at being used at all. Then put the wind on top of that, and it was nothing but a torturous ride for me. Did I mention that I hate wind? Good, I didn't want to forget about that!

Too many to mention, but mostly - ride more?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

See the above note about the transitions being the smoothest part of my day... sad, I know.

Nope, this went well too :)
Run
  • 29m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

And here's where it all really fell apart. Right from the first few steps off the bike, I knew my knee and I were going to be fighting the whole way. The first road part wasn't too bad, getting my breathing under control and getting my legs used to running was fine... my right knee just didn't want to do it, so we fought for a while and I beat it into submission for a little bit even though I knew my knee was going to rain karma down on my ass in a big bad way later. I wanted to see if I could push it a little. Nope. I was fine for most of the trail running part (I love running trails!) until I side-stepped to avoid some roots. Those evil, evil roots being in the middle of the running path totally did me in - I took a little sidestep to the left, and the action of pushing sideways with the right leg was all it took to make me start to say numerous bad words (some in my head, but mostly out loud) and start limping... and getting passed... which I hate! Grrrrr!!! Stopping to rub my knee a little, I also got to look down at my ankle chip to realize that it was digging into my skin, making it bleed. Sweet. I start running again and get about 100m before taking another side-step that sent me into another dazzling display of profanity. I had no idea I even knew that many (or that creative) curse phrases! I made it out of the trails and onto the road, only 2.5km to go at this point. My knee SHOULD be better on a flat surface, right? HA! I should have known that this was when that evil karma was going to come back and bite me. I hobbled/limped/ran the rest of the 2.5 with several people asking me if I was okay in passing, all I could do was wave them on feeling more and more angry, frustrated and disappointed.

Finally, the finish line is just ahead! Yay! I actually might have sort of looked like I was running (will have to wait for the finish-line picture for confirmation though!) as I crossed over it to the announcer butchering my name (seriously? mac-cl-ee-ood?) and head straight to the first aid tent to get some ice for my knee.

Thank god my parents were there... not to see the debacle that was my race, I'm pretty embarrassed about that... but to drive my sorry ass home and then take me for brunch. Thanks guys!

Um... everything?

Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a banana & a bagel, met my parents, tried not to cry, went for brunch & now I'm gonna go an lie on the beach. Forget it, I'm done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

What, didn't you read the race report?

Event comments:

Yeah... we're gonna just move on to the next race...

Last updated: 2010-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:27 | 766 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 32/56
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sugoi tri-suit (pure awesomeness!)
Course: Zig-zag through the outdoor pool at UBC - 50m lengths
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:23 | 12.43 miles | 15.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 39/56
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: 2 laps out and back among some of the UBC endowment lands.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:58 | 03.11 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 75/56
Course: Part trail and part road race again through the UBC endowment lands
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-07-26 1:11 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: 2010 Point Grey Triathlon

2010-07-26 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3005101

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: 2010 Point Grey Triathlon
I have at least one crappy race a season where nothing goes right, or I just don;t have it!  You did the right thing by heading to the beach!  Nice job in finishing though!
2010-07-26 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Ha!  Couldn't get me to the ocean fast enough (thank god it only takes about 7 minutes from my place) after having brunch with the parents... I pretty much just grabbed my bikini, jumped on the motorcycle and headed to the beach! 

Came home after to my landlord having a bbq that evening, and I had entirely too many drinks passed my way in congratulations for doing the race... work today might be tough for more than one reason Wink
2010-07-26 4:00 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
well, even with a off-day you still managed 3rd in your AG...congrats!  And nice job hanging in there!  I'm just reading your pre-race routine. 
2010-07-26 5:50 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Thanks - though I'm not sure that the pre-race "routine" from Sunday is something I want to repeat ever again... and I'm still having to deal with the jacked-up on super steroids bees that have taken over the shed! 
2010-07-26 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3005864

User image

Austin, Texas
Way to go Monica!

2010-07-26 6:50 PM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"

Well at least you didn't lose your pants.

Good job on surviving the race.

2010-07-26 10:52 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Hey now... I didn't lose my pants - the volunteers did!

But it definitely helped me discover that there's much LESS of a chance that your pants will get lost when wearing a trisuit!
2010-07-27 2:33 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Ha! Beat you by a whopping 17 seconds! :-)
What swim heat were you in? Didn't see you speed past me in the pool like everyone else was doing.
Got a few nasty bug bites through the trail run, been scratching my arm off ever since.
2010-07-28 12:08 AM
in reply to: #3006520

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Riel - 2010-07-27 2:33 AM Ha! Beat you by a whopping 17 seconds! :-) What swim heat were you in? Didn't see you speed past me in the pool like everyone else was doing. Got a few nasty bug bites through the trail run, been scratching my arm off ever since.

I was in heat 1c... and pretty much floundered the whole way after the total disaster of a start - yeah, I know how to make mom & dad proud!

You just wait for next time mister, I'll give you a run for your money! 
2010-07-28 7:48 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-07-29 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3011097

Champion
Austin, Texas
DrLeah - 2010-07-28 7:48 PM

I love reading your RR's.  So entertaining.

And great job on the race, especially considering everything you had to go thru!!

Thanks Leah!  Laughing

Now I'm just hoping everything will work out a whole lot better for Labour Day... or at least less terrible? 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 Point Grey Triathlon Rss Feed