General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for pedaling....normal pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-26 5:05 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Advice for pedaling....normal pedals
I will not be going clipless until next summer.  Until then, how can I become more efficient with my pedaling strokes?  Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Shelly

2010-07-26 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3005785

User image

Subject: RE: Advice for pedaling....normal pedals
Toe clips.
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4055763&...

Oh, those are platform pedals. To me, clipless pedals are "normal pedals"
2010-07-26 6:15 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Why are you waiting? Your tag line has one race left in August.  Switch over and try to adapt to clipless before the race.  Or wait till after the Presque Isle Tri and then switch over.  I don't think it makes any sense to buy toe clips and then in 6-8 months buy clipless pedals.
2010-07-26 6:38 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Do you have a bike computer that shows cadence? One simple drill that can help your pedaling is to get in an easier gear and try turning your pedals over faster for a short distance. You can work on spinning up to a high cadence sometimes even without a readout, but it helps to see the numbers. I used to do that all the time on my mountain bike with flat pedals. Try to keep the pedaling action smooth and ease off a bit if you start rocking or bouncing on the seat. When spinning fast, it might help to think about pulling back at the bottom and pushing forward at the top instead of pushing down in front.
2010-07-26 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3005904

User image

Regular
gearboy - 2010-07-26 6:15 PM Why are you waiting? Your tag line has one race left in August.  Switch over and try to adapt to clipless before the race.  Or wait till after the Presque Isle Tri and then switch over.  I don't think it makes any sense to buy toe clips and then in 6-8 months buy clipless pedals.

Unfortunately, I'm out of triathlon money for the year.  Our budget has suffered a bit . . .
darn, huh?
2010-07-26 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3005951

User image

Regular
Micawber - 2010-07-26 6:38 PM Do you have a bike computer that shows cadence? One simple drill that can help your pedaling is to get in an easier gear and try turning your pedals over faster for a short distance. You can work on spinning up to a high cadence sometimes even without a readout, but it helps to see the numbers. I used to do that all the time on my mountain bike with flat pedals. Try to keep the pedaling action smooth and ease off a bit if you start rocking or bouncing on the seat. When spinning fast, it might help to think about pulling back at the bottom and pushing forward at the top instead of pushing down in front.

So push and pull instead of stepping down?  I'll give your advice a try on tomorrow's ride!  Thank you!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for pedaling....normal pedals Rss Feed