Ironman North America
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 12h 56m 53s
Overall Rank = 1372/3088
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 222/472???
Pre-race routine:

A year before the cannon went off for my first Ironman I sent a text message to my Coach, asking what do ya think about me doing Lake Placid… He said “ Good Luck, its like trying to get into a rock concert” (saying that it sells out very fast) well I got in… I guess I was very lucky and as the year followed I have had the great fortune of a lot of great things… My journey to this day has been one heck of a time, my wife Casandra and I decided to make this our vacation so we arrived in Lake Placid on Wednesday before the event. Family and friends joined up on Thursday, Fri, Sat, it was awesome to be with everyone.

Thursday, I went to register and check in, all normal stuff, fun stuff too, the setting and the atmosphere is incredible up here, this place is made for an Ironman event. Friday comes and I am planning on going to Athlete dinner with my wife and Keith and his girlfriend Cara, well guess what… sold out no more tickets for guests, so Keith and I went… What an evening it was, Mike Reilly the “Ironman MC” was so energenic it was cool. So then they start talking about if anyone has loss some weight, well you know I did, and I was the BIGGEST LOOSER, it was a thrill I was asked about the journey in front of the entire crowd which was HUGE!!! Mike asked me why I did it and I told him my wife and I wanted to start a family, and between her and I we lost over 300 lbs. but the best part of it, we are expecting our first child!!! He was floored…….. He gave me a bag of stuff like you wouldn’t believe… plus a FREE entry into an Ironman event next year!!!!! I am coming back to Lake Placid!!!

Saturday… I pack up bags for transition and bring the green machine to check in very uneventfull and it was starting to get very busy and excitement growing… had to get out of there and go rest so that what I did….

Sunday RACE DAY… Awake at 4:00 am… slept well, got up made my coffee and bagel with peanut butter… gathered all items and out door by 4:55 got ride from Karen down to special needs drop off and walked from there with Cassie and saw Keith and Cara and hung with them till start which was awesome… went to check on bike and all was good had 5 hour energy drink @ 6:30 wetsuit on, and Steve (he was everywhere) brought me my cliff bar that I forgot then off to swim start…

Swim
  • 1h 24m 23s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim… swam 20 feet to loosen up then back to standing area to wait till cannon went off… waited 10 seconds let the fast people go then I started my day… My swim I was expecting maybe 2 hours maybe 1:45 if I was lucky…I stayed nice and steady, breathed every stroke heart rate low and stayed near cable line not sure how that happen and realized I was passing a lot of people, first loop I saw the clock it said 51 minutes, I said oh crap my watch said 41 what happened??? No biggie feeling good got back in water as this is a 2 loop swim, again very uneventful till about 300 yards in and BAM I got an elbow in the eye… took a couple breathes and was ok readjusted goggles and kept swimming till someone grabbed my wrist and hit some buttons, hahahaha that was funny then it was beeping and stuff then I hit a button and went back to normal. I see my time at turn around and I am happy holy cow I am doing this, I swam the last half mile or so in and was very comfy. Swim time was great for me
What would you do differently?:

NOT A THING
Transition 1
  • 07m 53s
Comments:

I see a familiar face, its Lois (JSTC) she rips off wetsuit and and off I go (thanks Lois) long run to t1 tent and I see a lot of familiar faces along the way family and friends which was awesome. I didn’t need to change except added my bike shorts over tri shorts, no socks on with shoes helmet and glasses and was on my way

not much
Bike
  • 6h 33m 43s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.07 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a little cluster at the mount area getting out of transition but not a biggie, off I went and started my ride, plan here was 7:00 just spin up the hills. About 2-3 miles in I loose my salt tablets I hit a bump by river road and bottle went flying, things are gonna happen out there I was told…. That was one of them. Then as we start the first major incline I just stuck to plan and spun up the best I could and contolled my breathing it starts raining, make it through and now its raining very hard to the decent into Keene which is very steep down, I hit 40 mph in the rain and was scared crap brakes on ( I put new pads on before I left Jersey) made it down and made the left on 9, then I got my nutrition in and was feeling pretty good except worried a little about the salt. Made to first out and back in 1:30 at mile 30 and was thinking not bad then went into the rode into Wilmington (I struggled in training on this road big time) but I spun ok up the hills and was on my way to second out and back and saw Keith he was ahead of me all day, great to see a familiar face. Came back and got water at every aid station from all the GREAT VOLUNTEERS!!!! Then headed to the bears past Whiteface, which is where my day almost ended… there was a female rider in front of me about a good 25 ft or so no one else around us then all of a sudden her bike goes head first into guard rail she went flying over rail head first and bike bounces off and right in front of me, I ride over her bike her rear wheel and I hear pop pop not sure how I stayed on bike, I look back and she is jumping over rail and and asking if I am ok, I was and was concerned about her she said she was fine,, her tires popped not mine, come to find out later she didn’t continue and she was banged up, I hope she is ok I am told she was… So I continue and see Steve, he rode down to bottom of Papa Bear to root me on and talk as he is running what a guy, up papa bear I went and right on Northwoods to mirror lake where I saw the family, wow that was cool then started second loop, saw my salt on River Rd and was like oh man that stunk… headed up the first incline again and started talking to a guy about salt and he gave me some, wow that was great. This loop no rain and let it go a little faster down hill to 43 mph and was scared very long way down…. Rest of ride un eventful, kept my numbers in check the whole day and stuck to the plan… till I grabbed a banana at an aid station and it was warm and just not good, LOL… got about mile 104 and bam my chain pops, my bad had a brain fart same spot where the little incident happen on first loop… no problem fix it and go… head up bears and can say that I did well on those and into town and wow that was awesome with all the people out there… hand off bike to volunteer and I said “now you want me to run a marathon”

not get into accident and secure salt pills no stop at special needs
Transition 2
  • 08m 28s
Comments:

Again uneventful took my time, volunteers were great and out I went into an awesome feeling of the Main st crowd

put nutrition belt on as i left and moved a little quicker
Run
  • 4h 40m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

As I left the tent it was awesome you leave the transition area and you run out on the street with all these people and I was like wow this is cool…Saw Casandra as I exited and got give her a kiss and that was what I needed…Go out in first mile way to fast like 8:37 or something and I am like oh boy slow down, so I do and feeling great get to River Rd and before the Bridge I see Mike G. he is going to aid station and was rooting me on very cool, I go to aid next aid station and grab water forcing myself to slowdown… see all the posters on River Rd, wow that’s awesome… then I get to Monica and Dannie aid station and they were going crazy for me, and I actually got to throw water on Monica for a little payback for saying it was a flat run course, hahaha.. continiue on my way till I see Jen and Denise walking and they too were like holy cow its Derek, yuppers it was Jen was taking pics as Denise ran with me for a while till her aid station, very cool. Got to the 10 mile mark and I see Steve he was all over the course he was my savior out there he ran with me for a while for support, more than we will mention… I got to the big hill going into town and my sister(Dawn) was there and she said I am running up this thing with you, I was elated and emotionial (we were both crying) and it was a highlight I will never forget, wow that was awesome, get to top of the hill and see Casandra give her a kiss and see mom and giver her a hug and she was crying in cheers watching the video and pics of Dawn and I running up that hill was priceless. Very cool crowds in town and all over, go to out and back and see my Dad and Nancy they are cheering me on stop for a second and give hugs and at special needs refuel and move on quickly… thinking I have 2 hrs and 35-45 minutes or so to break 13 hours holy crap ( I was just hoping to finish) I can do this, I run out of town and see everyone again I see my nephew Ty and Karen give a kiss and was told YOU CAN AND WILL DO THIS!!! About a mile or so I see Steve and off we go he was all over the place not sure how he did that… then got to mile 16-18 and the wheels are falling off, saw Monica again and she gave me a good ass wooping in my ear as I said I was done (my dark moment of the day) she then slapped my butt and off I went and remember crack kills… got to mile 18 and saw Denise and she ran me to the brighter spots again because I wasn’t looking good… got some chix broth and wow was I feeling better she said DeGutis you are gonna be an Ironman this crap isn’t easy now goes finish strong!!! Got up the last 2 hills and told Steve see ya at finish and he said When you are an Ironman…that was cool, I round the corner to the out and back and Dawn is there yelling “RUN FOREST RUN you can break 13 HURRY UP” she is awesome… I knew I could do but I was starting to get very sore in the legs and wanted this to end, hit the 25 mile mark and was like wow I am doing this that’s when it really hit me, coming back to the Oval I got to stay right in the finish arrows and Dawn was there yelling to hurry up again… I broke down as I entered the arena tears were flowing and I was on my way… got my self together and looked back to see if anyone was behind me and there wasn’t, I took it all in, I crossed the finish line and was told Derek DeGutis, You are an IONMAN!!!!

NOT a THING
Post race
Warm down:

After I finished…
A great Volunteer walked me through everything, All I can say to ALL THE VOLUNTEERS,,,, THANK YOU…

I see my family & friends and it was well…… I will leave that to us, it was very special!!! Went back to Condo where we were staying and showered shared everything with everyone about the day then went back down to the finish at 11:30, that was awesome!!!! Congrats to everyone.

To everyone back home watching the computer and all the well wishes, thank you… Thank you to all my training buddies, you know who you are, and will be in IMLP next year and NO Drafting allowed. The Lacey Crew, you guys are amazing!!! Kenny, you are a life saver, always there, thanks bud you are awesome. Steve, thanks for being everywhere out there… Dave and Joe @ BPC I freakin did it!!! I had a blast thanks guys for all your help and putting up with my crap and pushing me to limits I didn’t think I had… Roger for fixing me every week! JSTC, awesome and proud to be part of it… CC, I did it man… My family, you all know what this meant to me and seeing you all at the finish was/is our special time!!! Casandra, this was an amazing journey, but our journey is only beginning as our family is GROWING, this race is dedicated to YOU and our baby will be in just 7 more short months…

Make sure you are HAVING FUN!!!!! I DID!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

NOT a THING It was a MAGICAL DAY!!!!!!

Event comments:

Awesome

Last updated: 2010-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:23 | 4224 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/472???
Overall: 0/3088
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: 2 loops
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:33:43 | 112 miles | 17.07 mile/hr
Wind: Cross-winds
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:28
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:40:26 | 26.2 miles | 10m 42s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-29 3:37 PM

Jersey Shore
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2010-07-29 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3012883

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-07-29 4:53 PM

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
LOVE IT! Congrats Iron Dad!
2010-07-29 5:25 PM

You captured more than a moment...you got your fitness and your life back! What a great way to celebrate that, Ironman!
2010-07-30 1:35 PM

Regular
York
AWESOME JOB! Great to be ahead of all your projected times too....makes the day fun.
2010-07-30 2:06 PM

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Congratulations on your weight loss and your rock solid time.

2010-07-30 11:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Congrats Ironman!
2010-08-02 10:42 PM

Regular
NYC
Congratulations! Great RR. Wasn't the late night finish line unbelievable? I volunteered this year and still was not sure about really signing up until I experienced the finish line for the last 1 1/2 hrs.See you next year!
2010-08-04 2:02 PM

Master
Millersville, MD
Really like reading your story after having my interest piqued at the athlete dinner.  Congrats on all your success - you deserve that free IM entry.  Backing it up with the time you had shows that you were damn serious about it too.  I tip my hat to you, ironman. 

If you lose 10 more pounds for next year's race, no hogging the biggest loser category again, okay?

- distruntled (not really) 66 pounds lost fellow racer,
Josh
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed