General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 Whirlpool Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2010 Whirlpool Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
Steelhead
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 39m 15s
Overall Rank = 861/2282
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 25/84
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am and laid in bed deciding whether I really wanted to do this or not. I'd been apathetic about the race and worried about my training since I didn't follow a plan this year.

Had coffee, bagel & PB, banana. Got dropped off at the race site at 5:15 and Dan found a spot to hang out out of the rain while I fiddled around in transition and ran to the bathroom a couple times.

Pouring rain. Was cold - so wore wetsuit around.
Event warmup:

Walked in the sand to the start line (1.2 mi) then jumped in the water, took a couple strokes, got my head under water, cursed the fact that I had chosen green goggles for an overcast day with green buoys... *laughing*
Swim
  • 33m 10s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

I probably should have gone harder - I just never know how the day is going to go and I was worried that I didn't have enough miles in for the past couple weeks - didn't want to screw everything on the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push a little more...
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

I'll have to look up the times - but apparently my transition time for this year is exactly the same as for last year. *laughing*

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 58m 38s
  • 90.12 kms
  • 30.27 km/hr
Comments:

Rained for the first 15 mins or so - so it was wet and I took my time. Used hills efficiently and no problems passing. Still feel this course is really congested and it makes drafting a constant concern. Worried that I went too hard on the bike - was planning to try to hold 27km/hr but was way over that. Derailleur was skipping gears ... not sure what's up there. Did have to stop to pee. Considered peeing on the bike - but decided that I would rather pee in a toilet than all over myself.

Nothing. Went well. Thought I went too hard but it all worked out.
Transition 2
  • 04m 28s
Comments:

I didn't take my feet out of my shoes because of the congestion as I was coming into transition. There were 5 guys ahead/behind me and I decided that I would just cruise in with them and worry about my shoes. I had to get my runners out of the plastic bag they were in anyway.

Swore to my BF on the way out of transition that I would never do this again. *laughing*
Run
  • 1h 59m 48s
  • 21.08 kms
  • 05m 41s  min/km
Comments:

Had a great run. I was watching my pace and tried to keep it in the mid 5mins/k. Had to pee 1.5 miles in but other than that it went well. Had a bit of a side stitch at the beginning - banana and some gatorade solved that problem. Walked through all aid stations and up the hill at the Whirlpool lot. (HUGE hill.) Felt AWESOME the second loop.

I obviously trained better for this portion of the event this year. However, I would have liked to not have a side stitch at the beginning...
Post race
Warm down:

Got water, Gatorade and a plum. Stretched and relaxed. Felt quite nauseous about 20 mins after ... so got some pizza and breadsticks which totally did the trick.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know - I PR-ed by 25 minutes - so I can't complain about that at all. Plus I got a new PR for the 1/2 Marathon. I'm a happy kid!

Oooh - maybe not having to use the loo twice?

Event comments:

I find the larger races a little crazy to be honest. I don't like the scene at kit pick up with everyone all "twitchy" and then at the event itself where some are snapping, snarling and generally just really intense. I'm sure these people exist at smaller events - but there are simply fewer of them. This is my personal viewpoint and I'm comfortable knowing that I like smaller events. This being said - I met some phenomenal people this year.

Other than the initial mess at kit pick up (had to fill out a form which backed up the registration process) this race impresses me. It's well organized, the volunteers are wonderful and it's definitely worth doing. Nice t-shirts this year!!

Last updated: 2010-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:10 | 2000 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/84
Overall: 0/2282
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: Straight line with the current into the swim finish area.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:58:38 | 90.12 kms | 30.27 km/hr
Age Group: 30/84
Average HR: 150
Wind: Some
Course: Course is a large square. Some of the sections had been newly paved. Some sections were a MESS.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 04:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:59:48 | 21.08 kms | 05m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 25/84
Average HR: 166
Course: Lollypop course with two loops through the Whirlpool headquarters.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-01 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: 2010 Whirlpool Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Triathlon

2010-08-01 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3017034

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2010 Whirlpool Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Triathlon
Congrats on the PR yesterday! We worked the finish line food (the fresh fruit and drinks just after they removed your timing chip).
2010-08-02 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

Great race Stef, Congratulations!

2010-08-02 9:17 PM

Veteran

Thanks for the report Steph- Congrats- Great Race!!!!!!!!

2010-08-03 6:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Congrats on a great race!  You had one hell of a run there - great job pacing yourself on the bike, even if you didn't think you held yourself back enough, you seem to have done just fine being able to put in a sub 2hr time.  Awesome job!
2010-08-06 1:07 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Nice write up. I am very happy for you. You are an insperation. Great Job.

that and I get to say I train with an Ironman (woman) which makes me sound cool Laughing

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 Whirlpool Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Triathlon Rss Feed