Monticello, Iowa
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 38s
Overall Rank = 11/177
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Flatbread with pb/honey at 4 freekin AM. Mug of coffee on the way to the race. 1 homemade granola bar as I settled into transition.
Event warmup:

Biked out of the park and along the first bit of the route, as much of an incline as there was, I felt strong on the warmup.

A run up and out of the park (although not the run course) got the legs firing, they felt good as well, I properly rested before this race and was looking for a solid showing.

Bit of a swim following meeting up with my family, felt good, water was warm, but I moved pretty well in the water.
Swim
  • 08m 6s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was person 16 to start (by estimated swim time) Not much drafting, a few guys made a big lead early on and it spread out quickly. I made some horrible lines, and swam a lot of extra, will be interesting to see the Garmin plot. The turn angles were odd, so getting back on target was a bit of a challenge, some turns were greater than 90 degrees.

I moved up quickly and then settled in at the front of the 2nd pack of people. I probably let up a bit too much in the middle section, and could have pushed harder on the final stretch to come in, but my lines were so bad that I could have hurt myself more by doing that.

The 1:38 non wetsuit pace was very welcomed, Fairly good run to the timing mat, I was out of the water in less than 8 minutes (goal time)
What would you do differently?:

Work on sighting more often, especially when you can hardly see bubbles from swimmers ahead (which there were not many)
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

My shifters got bumped and the chain fell partially to the small ring not allowing me to backpedal and get the pedal where I wanted it to clip in.

Everything else went well.

Maybe start in the small ring?
Bike
  • 43m 45s
  • 16.73 miles
  • 22.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was awesome, roads were eh in places, lots of patches make for a bumpy ride. 3 sets of rumble strips, took the first set of 3 head on, then started to avoid them, it is not quite like a vibrating massage chair.

I passed a few people on the climb out of the park and found myself at the back of 6 other riders. It took nearly 8 miles until a final stretch where I finally saw the leader and a small group of three other riders. I held on during the first 5 miles through some rough roads/hills, slowly making ground on the string of guys ahead of me. I passed a few between 5-7 and then played leap frog with a guy in my AG about 8 times. He would often get me on hills, but I made some big ground on the flats.

Wattage was low low low for what I wanted, 204 I think, but I ended with a 22.9 MPH average, I cannot even imagine what 240 would have gotten me. Bike split right in line with what I wanted.

Giving a Good average, due to results, not due to performance, I think I need to recalculate my LTP, 240 is beginning to seem like a fable right now.

HTFU

Something felt off with my fit, my seat looked angled way down (to the tune of 7 degrees negative which made me feel like my leg was not extending enough. I will look at it this week, although I felt very comfortable (no sliding forward etc, I wonder if this is why my power was a bit low?)
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Funny, all ratings above are good, yet it was a bad transition. Why? Because I forgot my race belt, long skinny T2 and I was nearly out of the area before forgetting that my number was still hanging on the rack. I had to run back for it. This was easily 10 seconds, if not 15 additional that I should not have lost.

Mental fitness - don't make stupid mistakes.
Run
  • 22m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt rough starting out, I did good taking in liquid on the bike, but it was hot out. The T2 blunder left me wanting more, but my legs would not get into the run. I felt clunky a majority of the run, and my 7:15 pace, felt like it should have been good for a 6:30 pace. I was struggling, mostly took water and used it for cooling my head/body, but it was steamy with no wind.

I know I can run faster, and mentally I tried, even the last stretch where I normally pick up the pace, I was struggling to get much below 7 minute miles. Chalk this one up to the heat and keep working on speed.

I don't know there is much that I could have done differently.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out, took in lots of liquids

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My legs were working hard on the bike, quads let me know that. The run was limited by heat. I may need to tweak some workouts especially on the bike, need some longer hard efforts to sustain higher wattage.

Event comments:

First annual race, this will become a regular. Amazing organization, great cause, very well run, I would be shocked if it isn't double the size next year. The course was a blast, one of my favorite bike courses yet.

Last updated: 2010-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:06 | 500 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 13/177
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Umm 3 sided, kinda triangle shape, good number of buoys, just odd turn angles. Water was far from clear, I think I saw 1 arm the whole time, because we were making contact swimming next to each other.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:45 | 16.73 miles | 22.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 8/177
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Awesome course, had rolling hills, flats, corners, technically it was fun.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:21 | 03.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 18/177
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back, pavement, no wind, hot sun.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-02 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Camp Courageous Sprint Triathlon

2010-08-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3017957

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: Camp Courageous Sprint Triathlon
Nice race...great bike split.  200 watts at almost 23 mph?  Wow.  
2010-08-02 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Nice job on another podium Jeff!  You are having a great season so far.  Keep it up!
2010-08-02 10:15 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Nice race, Speedy!

LT tests are FUN!  Do IT!!!   
2010-08-02 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3018145

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job Jeff, speedy splits, congrats on the podium.
2010-08-02 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3018285

User image

Great race, Jeff! Awesome bike split. You'll get the run you're after next time. And, I bet you'll never forget your race belt again!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Courageous Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed