United States
RAM Racing
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 08m 8s
Overall Rank = 111/430
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 31/69
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 (went to bed at 12:30...friends from out of town staying with us...don't ask haha). I actually was walking around the condo like a zombie and didn't even realize that it was pouring down rain until I went outside and got wet. Luckily I packed the car last night!
Event warmup:

I didn't really warm up because it was chilly out and didn't really stop raining until right before the swim. I did swim around in the lake for about 5 minutes though. Basically just wandered around transition trying to figure out how to keep things dry just in case it stopped raining before I biked and ran.
Swim
  • 08m 55s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

We were told by a race official that because the water was so shallow that we would walk across the timing mat on the beach and out the approx 50M to the rectangle and he would then sound the horn and our official time would start. My wave basically runs out...some start swimming while others wait. There is no horn so we just start "swimming." I say "swimming" because my hands were touching the bottom and about 2/3 of my wave were water jogging. I guess I should stop being annoyed with the senior citizens at my pool for water jogging. If I would have joined them these past few months, I would have been the first person out of the water.

I could not find a good swim pattern because I kept running into people that were bobbing up and down and trying to run. Overall swim time also included an approx 100m run to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Started out at the very front and farther outside to try to actually swim and pass the water joggers.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

They didn't not break out T1 times (included in bike) but I emailed to get the info from them.

This is the first time that I got my wetsuit stuck on my heels and my timing chip flew off. I could not find my personal timing chip strap before I left the house so I had to use the one provided at the race...the velcro was basically worn out.
Bike
  • 31m 22s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 21.42 mile/hr
Comments:

There was not a "glass option" for road surface haha. I saw quite a few people with flat tires. Overall I felt pretty good though. My bike computer sensor got pushed around and I tried to reach down while riding and re-adjust. It didn't work and I didn't want to stop to try to fix it so I had no idea how fast I was going but felt pretty good overall.

On the return trip, as I approached the transition area I had one race volunteer waving me in while the one on the other side of the street was waving that I needed to go past the T area. Hmmmm...I started to follow the first one and the other guy started yelling at me that I had to continue past for about 1/2 mile and then come back to finish the bike segment. Grrrrrr!

Nothing really because this is almost 2mph faster than my bike split at my tri last summer.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Overall was good. Not very many bikes near me when I came into transition so that helped a lot!

I ran without socks. They were dry but my feet was still damp from my wet bike shoes so I didn't feel like struggling with them. I have never run without socks before but it wasn't too bad and thankfully no blisters.

I really, really had to go to the bathroom and would have stopped. But the port-a-potties were on the other side of transition and they wouldn't let me run over there without being DQed...WTF! The lady told me to just run really fast and I could pee when I was done. Again...grrrrr!!!
Run
  • 24m 38s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't really have any comments on the run. This was a pretty good overall run time for me but unfortunately many others in my age group ran it in 20 min or less. I could have used some water in the middle of the run but they put water right at T2 and at the very end of the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and met up with some people from BT and chatted with them for quite some time. The sun came out so I decided to try to dry off some before getting back into my car and heading home. It was good being with friends out there.

I think meeting up with friends made this race for me. Otherwise it would have been a complete disappointment.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and inconsistency in July. The crazy-fast people in my age group. There were 5 men that finished in under an hour.

Event comments:

The organization and communication was a disaster. There were volunteers and some were helpful but others had no idea what was going on. I didn't hear of an awards ceremony or annoucement on winning time. Post-race food only consisted of a banana and bagel unless I missed a table somewhere.

They messed up posting my times on the site and they are still not accurate. I emailed them and shockingly received a reply with my actual times. I didn't break out my rankings for swimming, biking, and running because I couldn't sort by category on the race results webpage.

Last updated: 2010-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:55 | 500 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 46/69
Overall: 0/430
Performance: Below average
Suit: full Zoot
Course: I am not even sure how to explain this swim. It was supposed to be a beach start with a run/dolphin dive out about 50m to a rectangle swim with a run/dolphhin dive back to the beach for a total of 750m. There is no way that this course was 750m...I am guessing around 500m.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:22 | 11.2 miles | 21.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/69
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back and relatively flat. Trickery at the end
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:38 | 03.1 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/69
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-08-02 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: South Shore Tri

2010-08-02 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3018097

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: South Shore Tri
Oh, Ryan! I'm so sorry. However, that comment on water jogging was priceless. You didn't mention your cough; maybe the race was so bad you just didn't notice? (now that would be one good thing about it being so bad)

Super job on getting in there and killin' it despite the shyt-o race, lack of sleep, etc. etc.

P.S. Pee in your pants. If they're already wet from rain/swim water/sweat, nobody will notice.
2010-08-02 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I saw your missing times on the results and was sad that they goofed up but I'm glad they were able to dig them out for you.  Being the utter geek that I am, I copied my AG results into a spreadsheet so I could break out my places for each segment.  If they get back to you with your transition times let me know so I can pester them for mine.  Thanks for talking me into doing it!
2010-08-02 10:48 AM

User image

Regular
Way to go, Ryan!!!!
2010-08-02 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

I'm glad you did this one, Ryan. If you can do this w/out training, really and being sick and no sleep, et al, imagine what you can do when you're really prepared and rested and healthy. Nice work on everything and those volunteers mean well, but.....

congrats!

2010-08-02 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Oh Ryan,

the others said it all, what a terribly run race...funny thing is everyone complains about Frank Dobbs's races, but after this debacle Lake Geneva will actually seem like a well oiled machine to you.  Sigh.

Great job handling all the curve balls.  

2010-08-04 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Nice job, despite everything! I also saw a bunch of people with flat tires. I've only done a few races but this was the first time I've seen so many.

As for the banana and bagel. I had a hot dog. Even though it was 9:30 am. haha.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Shore Tri Rss Feed