Ironman North America
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 05m 33s
Overall Rank = 1893/2611
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 92/109
Pre-race routine:

Got to LP Friday afternoon, checked in and found dinner, (I wouldn't recommend Rosarita's in Wilmington, if they are still open next year. But that's another story) Dropped off bike and bags on Saturday. We had to make an extra trip back to camp because we didn't think we needed to drop of the bags the night before. Wake up at 3. Bagel and Fruit with OJ. Drive to LP, find a nice parking spot, pee, air up the tires, drop off the nutrition, etc. Pee again, wetsuit on, drop off eye glasses at swim exit and wade in behind the pros.
Event warmup:

A few strokes to get in position for swim
Swim
  • 1h 29m 7s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started towards left, about 15yds from the line. It was a scrum by the time I got to the line. No major hits, but plenty of physical contact. Spent much of the first leg rubbing shoulders with my neighbors. Made the first turn buoy much faster than I thought. On the return leg, I did get elbowed in the goggles, letting in some water. It hurt a bit, but I didn't even bother breaking my stroke. I must have got disoriented though, because before long I realized I was swimming all by myself, and was way out by the kayakers. Finished the first loop in 50 minutes and prepared myself for another 50 in the water.

Second loop was less eventful than the first, and I focused on staying close to the buoys, which was easy as most of the crowd had thinned out. As I approached the beach, I started to make out the time clock and to my disbelief, it still hadn't registered 1h30m. Reignited, I started digging, time seemed to drag on for awhile, but I eventually got to my feet and crossed the mat at just over 1h29m
What would you do differently?:

Not trust others to do my sighting for me.
Transition 1
  • 09m 2s
Comments:

Everything went fairly smooth. Gametime decision between sunglasses and eyeglasses, I brought both, and was glad I did.
Bike
  • 6h 32m 4s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I probably went too hard on the first lap, but I really felt like I was saving my energy. Spun up the first climb out of town, in the rain, eating my cliff bar. Coasted into Keene as things dried up, settled into a rhythm on the flats all the way to AuSable Forks and back to Jay, and hit the climb to Wilmington. Everything was going off without a hitch up to this point. I was drinking regularly, had taken 3 endurolytes and gooed twice, in addition to my first cliff bar. Saw my brother and his GF just after Wilmington and was still feeling great. I don't know exactly where things started to tighten up, but I know things started to drag after going past the campground down to the 3 bears. It was somewhere in this stretch that my pill bottle fell out of my jersey. I wasn't too concerned, just meant I would have to drink more Perform, easy adjustment. I got some energy back going up the bear, the crowd there was awesome as I did my best to "dance on my pedals" all the way up. Kept the energy solid all the way through town. Grabbed my second cliff bar out of special needs. Reminded myself to store that energy from the crowds in town for later.

Ate my second Cliff bar after getting out of town, but by this point my legs were feeling pretty weak. By the time I hit the turn in Keene my neck was so stiff I couldn't turn to check my shoulders, so I became very cautious when passing people. I was still drinking plenty and was beginning to take bananas at each aid station. Also took a couple powerbars, which seemed to keep the legs from burning for a few minutes, but I really wanted my endurolytes. The flats were a drag as I struggled to keep a respectable cadence. So, I was happy to hit the climb out of Jay and going uphill really seemed to give me some more fuel for awhile. And that is how it went the rest of the way back to LP. Struggle with keeping the cadence on the flats or false flats and then stretch the legs on the climbs. Passed people on the climbs, but got passed by many more on the flats.

Stuck my pills in my bento box instead of my jersey, so they wouldn't have fallen out. More bike miles, more long rides.

Transition 2
  • 05m 38s
Comments:

Forgot to take my bike shorts off, realized it in the portajohn, went back and found my bag where I left it... quick fix.
Run
  • 5h 49m 44s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Settled into a nice rhythm right out of transition, but of course, it's all downhill. Just after the second aid station is when I got caught by Sandy, a 7-time LP finisher and former Kona Qualifier. She was a bit of a local celebrity, and seemed to know everybody on the run course. We chatted away the first 4 miles at a pretty comfortable pace. But she began moving much faster than me after mile 4 and we parted ways. I continued shuffling to the next aid station, which is where the wheels came off my race, completely.

I wanted to take some extra nutrition so I started walking and doubled up on water and powerade with some oranges and a banana. As I went to pick up the shuffle again, I realized my left ankle was beginning to tweak out a bit, at that point I just took note. But by the time I got to the next aid station there was a fairly constant scream coming from my ankle, and so I resigned myself to walk much and run little. Not even half way done with the first lap, I was now in preserve mode.

This was a dark period for me, I really had to come to terms with the idea that something had gone wrong which necessitated adjusted expectations. I fought with the idea of pushing through the pain, since I felt like I had plenty of strength and my pulse was not even a consideration. I held back, though, because I wanted to finish. I knew I could walk to the finish, I didn't know if I could run with way my ankle was feeling, and so walk I did. For hours I would pick short milestones, run to the light pole, walk to the driveway, run the rest of the way to the aid station, etc.

The worse part of the day was walking through town, even downhill. I tried to run down the hill from the Brewery to start my second lap, and realized that was no good for me, and so I walked. Second lap went much the same as the first. Shortly after the first aid station, a guy offered me a piece of chewing gum which I gladly accepted and we ran together for the next couple of miles, until my ankle's screaming out drowned out the chewing gum euphoria. And then I walked.

I hit 10k to go with about an hour of daylight left, and started to think I might be able to push it back by dark. The sunset was awesome on the way back past the ski jumps and horse grounds, but I wasn't going to be racing it today, like I had so many times in training. I resolved myself to run the last mile, and that is what I did, but of course, it was downhill. The energy coming back through town was great, and for the last quarter mile, I was able to forget my pain and disappointment. As Mike Reilly read my name, I pumped my fists in my best attempt at a strong statement of "Hell yeah." But all the pictures seem to show a look on my face that says something more like "Finally, it's over."

dunno on this one, probably could have done better on nutrition, but that didn't really get tested.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate a sandwich, drank a couple bottles of water. Changed out of my race gear. And went back to the finish area to wait for Eddie to finish. Found a warm spot next to a generator with a good view of jumbotron to watch people coming in. Oh yeah, went to the medical tent with a body catcher right after the race to get some ice for my ankle, so I was icing that as I waited in the finish area. Greeted Eddie and got some pizza with her. Cleaned up transition and waited for the roads to open so we could get to our special needs bags. Finished the night off with a half dazed drive back to camp, getting to bed just a bit after 1am.

Had to drive back to DC on Monday, so we left early. The plan was to leave by 6am to make it back in time for class, but that got derailed as soon as the alarm went off at 5. Instead we got up and took our time, found a dinner and got steak and eggs. Finally rolled down 87 at around 9.

The ankle didn't really start swelling until Tuesday, but Monday was interesting as Eddie and I gimped our way back to DC.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike fitness, ankle pain.

Last updated: 2009-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:29:07 | 3862 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 101/109
Overall: 2196/2611
Performance: Good
Suit: T1 Black Pearl
Course: Long rectangle 2 loops
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 09:02
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:32:04 | 112 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 70/109
Overall: 1337/2611
BIKE SPLIT 1: 30 mi. 30 mi. (1:23:57) 21.44 mph BIKE SPLIT 2: 56 mi. 26 mi. (1:39:36) 15.66 mph BIKE SPLIT 3: 86 mi. 30 mi. (1:33:28) 19.26 mph BIKE SPLIT 4: 112 mi. 26 mi. (1:55:02) 13.56 mph
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
05:49:44 | 26.2 miles | 13m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 96/109
Overall: 2135/2611
Performance: Bad
RUN SPLIT 1: 5.7 5.7 mi. (59:46) 10:29/mile RUN SPLIT 2: 11.9 mi 6.2 mi. (1:31:12) 14:42/mile RUN SPLIT 3: 26.2 mi 14.3 mi. (3:18:45) 13:53/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-02 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2010-08-02 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3018261

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Great job Shane!  Way to work through it and finish.

2010-08-02 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Nice work, Ironman!!  Way to grit it out with the ankle pain. 

2010-08-02 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Way to push through the dark period and flush the demons! Great job IronMan!
2010-08-02 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
Bummer on the ankle pain - but you pushed through!!! Awesome Job Ironman! 
2010-08-04 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Dang Shane - that's brutal on the ankle and having a marathon to think about it.  I applaud you for doing what you could to tough it out.

The most brutal thing you did, however, was drive home on monday morning.  That must have just plain old sucked!!!!!

Glad I got to see you up there, if only for a minute or two. 

2010-09-10 6:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome accomplishment!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed