Troika
80sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 47m 9s
Overall Rank = 17/178
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

this race was meant as a tool to gauge ironman fitness. i raced troika last year, and accomplished my goal of sub 5 hours, and this year, i wanted to repeat that goal, only with a less effort...for example, ride the bike like its a 112 mile ride, and see if i can put down a solid run leg (which i have yet to accomplish in 4 HIMs)
Event warmup:

ate a bagel w/ pb and banana at 4 (T minus 3 hours)
1/2 jet blackberry gu 15 til start
swam for about 200 yards
ready to go
Swim
  • 27m 56s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

my swimming has been down a LOT from last year, mainly due to a new job across the state, but regardless, as soon as i got in the water in the wetsuit, i knew it was gonna be a good swim.

got a fair start and was able to hang with the big boys for about 1/2 of the way out the bouy line. i was sighting pretty much perfectly, but it seemed that those around me were ziggin all over the place...b/c of this, i didn't get any drafting done, i figured id be better off swimming straight with no draft rather than all over the damn place with some feet.
What would you do differently?:

not a thing, fastest HIM swim for me by 1:40
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

looking back:
pros: use body glide again on the ankles
cons: put shoes on pedals for this race, it was a toss up before the race, but should ahve ran barefooted

i wasn't too slow in this tho, usually i am a LOT slower than the competition in T1, not today

shoes on pedals
Bike
  • 2h 41m 45s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.77 mile/hr
Comments:

not sure on AG ranking, b/c the timing results dont sort the results that way...STUPID

anyway, like i said earlier, the goal was to race this as an ironman, smooth calm and calculated. i think i accomplished that. i was 3rd outta the water, so it sucked having ppl FLY past me on the bike, but i was at peace with that, i just kept smiling at the spectators, and enjoying the ride. very little effort was used on this ride, overall was very very happy with my effort and my bike fitness

not much, i biked well for my goals
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

slipped on the kinvaras and my thin socks....yes socks with a sockless shoe, but during my test run, i noticed a blister on my little toe, the socks worked great and i was blister free

get the rock outta my shoe first
Run
  • 1h 35m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

pretty much the best run ive had at a HIM (almost beat my open half time actually, even though ive only run 1 open half)

started with a comfortable pace (haha, or so i thought) 1st mile was 645. 2nd 630, 3rd 635, 4th 635 5th 635!! it was awesome tho, felt great up to this point

i was passing dudes left and right, except for 2..they hung about 10 feet behind me for miles 3-6. right around 6 i needed to slow up and get some aid station goodies. so i walked and got some water, felt much better, but the guys were not in front of me. at the turn around i saw that i was in the middle of nowhere. faster guys in front, and holding pace, the fast women were behind, making me nervous! haha

last couple of miles were a ton of fun, haha, not really! just tried to hold onto the sub 8 pace. i think i accomplished that...i was right at 70:45 on the 10 miler and ran a 25 last 5k, so not too bad...

not a thing...love my gel taking stagety...i used to get stomach issues whenever i took a gel, even if i knew i needed it (like mile 7 of a 1/2 mary) i never really thought about it, i just knew ppl took gels in about 30 seconds.

well, after talking with a buddy, she mentioned taking the gel over several minutes/miles. BINGO this worked like a charm, and while my calories were a little low on the run, i still mananged to get through with no stomach issues. THANKS LORI!
Post race
Warm down:

i stopped moving, it was beyond excellent

What limited your ability to perform faster:

a relaxed bike split

Event comments:

Its getting better...but for a race that has been a staple of the NW for 30 years, the growing pains for a new RD is getting a little old.

congrats to NW boys michael gordon and ben greenfield...amazing athletes!

Last updated: 2010-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:56 | 2112 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 3/178
Performance: Good
Suit: xterrra v3 full
Course: straight out the bouy line, then angled right turns on the way back, 1 loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:17
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:41:45 | 56 miles | 20.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/178
Wind: Little
Course: slight change due to chip seal...medical lake to downtown spokane
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:35:12 | 13.1 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 15/178
Performance:
Course: out and back, exposed, uphill on the way out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes