General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Logan International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Logan International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canton, North Carolina
United States
Set-Up, Inc
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 05m 14s
Overall Rank = 107/146
Age Group = 40-44 F
Age Group Rank = 21/31
Pre-race routine:

Checked out the site on Friday and did a short swim in the lake.

Got up at 4:00 and had and English muffin with peanut butter and a banana. Left the house at 4:15. Drank plenty of water en route. My family and I were renting a house in Dillsboro and it took 40-45 minutes to get there. We were there a little earlier than I liked. Got an excellent parking spot!

Set up transition area. Walked from the swim out to my transition spot and visualized it.
Event warmup:

Short swim. Visualization.
Swim
  • 47m 41s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 55s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim faster! I've been working on it. Continue efforts in this direction
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Dropped goggles on run to T1.

Not drop goggles, get wetsuit off faster.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 3s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Two fig newtons towards the beginning of the bike -- once the initial hills was completed and two more towards the end of the bike. 1 bottle of Nuun and a little under 1/2 bottle of water on the bike. The temperature was in the high 60s to low 70s so this was enough.

Nothing, bike was good.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No timing data for T2.

Nothing, T2 went smoothly.
Run
  • 57m 33s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was good.

Push harder. I think that there is some room for improvement here.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around some. Got some post race food. Drank quite two bottles of water and a soda. It was not hot out but I must have needed the liquids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim. This is not news to me. I have been working on the swim and I need to continue to do so. I think that it is time to find someone else to work with. I felt better in the water than I did during my first triathlon but I did not see any improvement in terms of speed. I don't know if I should find someone else to work with now or wait until the off season do that.

Event comments:

Needed more volunteers on Friday check in. Race day volunteers were plentiful.

Buoy drift -- what, you can't keep a buoy tether for 45 minutes in a still lake?

There was also a timing situation where a lot of participants (1/3 or so) did not get any timing info for the bike or T2.

That being said, the event site was very good and the course was pleasant. I would do this event again.

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:41 | 1640 yards | 02m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/31
Overall: 144/146
Performance:
Swim for my wave was long. The route went orange buoy, orange buoy, yellow buoy, turn, yellow buoy, turn. Then three more orange buoys, under the bridge and out. For my wave, the first yellow buoy was drifting off course -- of course not in but out. I'm guessing it was 100 yards more from the second orange to the first yellow. When the rest of the BOP swimmers and I got there, there was a man in a canoe who said, sorry...
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction John
Course: Start in water off dock. Rectangular in lake and then under bridge to mouth of creek. Climb ladder out (volunteers to help). Long run on grass to transition (1/3 mile?)
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:03 | 24.85 miles | 19.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/31
Overall: 53/146
Performance:
They had no timing data for the bike for a lot of the participants. I don't know what happened with their timing equipment. I recall hearing a beep when I entered and exited T1. I remember thinking something like, "Good! The chip works!" I got 1:14:13, that does not include the run in or the run out. That's about 18.7 mph.
Wind: None
Course: Lollypop shaped course. We went out on Lake Logan road and made a loop, returning on Lake Logan road. The first and last 2 miles had a steepish hill. The rest of the course had some rollers but nothing significant, even by Raleigh standards.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:33 | 06.21 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/31
Overall: 91/146
Performance: Good
Course: Three miles of gradual uphill and then three miles of gradual downhill. Five drink stations on the course. Most but not entirely shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-08 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: Lake Logan International Triathlon

2010-08-08 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3030246

Subject: RE: Lake Logan International Triathlon
I did this race too. Lake Logan is awesome. It's just an amazing setting and a great swim. I didn't notice any buoy drift, so that's interesting to know.

Set-Up will get your bike and T2 splits fixed by tomorrow (see their website).  

Congrats on your race. 
2010-08-08 6:47 PM

I was also in the last swim wave and experienced the longer swim due to buoy drift.  Not sure how much time or distance that added, but I am guessing at least 100 yds.  Why couldn't the guy in the boat be where we were supposed to turn?  Why did they let us keep chasing that buoy??  Otherwise, the tri was really well organized and a really great experience.  Beautiful course!
2010-08-12 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3030258

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
I got a nice call back from the folks at Setup Events.  They said the buoy came loose during the sixth wave.  He said that he does not know how the knot came undone.  He apologized profusely and suggested that someone in an earlier wave tried to hang off it.

Yes, Lake Logan is a great site!  I enjoyed it very much!
2010-08-12 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3030589

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
I think that the guy in the canoe didn't know what to do in the event that the buoy "escaped."  He was probably told to keep us from drowning, not to keep the buoy in place.  I too wish that he'd kept the buoy in place or at least in the general area!
2010-08-17 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Nice Job!!

Gotta love chasing that buoy, same thing happened to me last week.  Everytime you sight, you're like what? Really?

2010-08-17 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3047851

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Thanks!

RE: Chasing the buoy, yeah, I felt like I was swimming upstream or something -- not getting much closer!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Logan International Triathlon Rss Feed