Team Magic
88F / 31C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 47m 53s
Overall Rank = 340/642
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/27
Pre-race routine:

SUBRO, Erin and I cheerfully awoke at 5:00 a.m.. Had a 1/2 cup of coffee, and a Cliff bar. Loaded bikes onto the elevator and rode 1 mile to the race site. Set up transition area, got chip and body marked. There were 3 shifts of buses taking us to the swim start. My bus loaded at 6:55 to depart at 7:05. Chatted with the B'ham folks and loaded up. Apparently the first bus loaded at 6:20, thank goodness I wasn't on that bus! We all had to get to the swim start before the first swimmer started. I took a gel on the bus and really should have waited to take it until later, but all was well.
Event warmup:

Rode bike 1 mile. :)
Swim
  • 23m 23s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

AWESOME!! Nothing like swimming down hill!
Memphis swim time was 34:08, Chattanooga swim time 23:23
What would you do differently?:

start breathing on a 2 count sooner!
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Ok, but still could be faster!!
Bike
  • 1h 18m 52s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Gosh, people were passing me the whole time. I've got to get faster on the bike. I pushed, I really did, but some folks are just hosses on the bike, or at least that is what I think. I liked seeing people along the way and with having to do the loop 2x, you had the opportunity to do that.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I PUT MY SOCKS ON!!!
Run
  • 1h 01m 42s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

people complained about the steps. I found the course interesting and a nice diversion.
What would you do differently?:

next year i will run 'stadiums' as part of my training for this race. Even running down them was tough at the end because I was tired and not sure I was in complete control of my legs. Make sense?
Post race
Warm down:

Ate watermelon and drank water. Still haven't acquired the taste for beer immediately after a race.
Mary, my swim coach dogged me about beating her on the swim. She was about 45 seconds behind me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough run time.

Event comments:

I don't have a lot of other races to compare this one to, but I will be back. It beat Memphis in May by a mile!! It was also the first year of this event being the USAT SE Intermediate Distance Tri Regional Championships. It sold out this year, so I will register early for next year! The Chattanooga downtown area has seen tremendous revitalization and is top notch. Great restaurants, shopping, and cultural event. Lots of fun all around.

Last updated: 2005-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:23 | 1640 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 310/642
Performance: Good
Entry and exit were smooth!! I was concerned about that. Entry was a gentle ease into the water and line up holding on to a pier. There was time to adjust goggles and take care of business. We turned the corner of the pier and then every 3 seconds were told to go. The EXIT...there are no steps and no ladder and no walking out. They had a plastic floating pier and about 5 big, strong guys set up to get you out of the water. One guy grabbed my arms/shoulders while the other scooped my butt and lifted. I didn't even notice!! I only remembered afterwards when SUBRO asked me about it. She was our cheerleader and said she got a kick out of watching that guy.
Suit: na
Course: Point to point in the Tennessee River. WOW, what a current! I really couldn't feel it, but knew it was there. Breathing heavy at first on a 3 count bilateral, then after having to breast stroke to catch my breath I realized something needed to change. I then started breathing on a 2 count on right side only. No real navigation problems, just glanced to make sure I was on course. NO women in may age group passed me on the swim, but I only passed maybe 3 in my group. We were arranged based on swim time and that worked well. YES, yellow caps (men) in my age group did pass me.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:52 | 24.8 miles | 18.87 mile/hr
Overall: 353/642
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 2 loop course, mainly flat, but 3 hills that were long. This was my first experience with folks being injured biking. There were 3 sets of paramedics helping bikers. After the first loop, while approaching the turnaround, the guy in front of me just falls over. Guess he wasn't comfortable making a sharp left-hand turn and fell over. I manuevered around him safely, THANKFULLY!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:01:42 | 06.2 miles | 09m 57s  min/mile
Overall: 345/642
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back. OMGosh!! There were TONS of concrete steps!! The new Chattanooga Waterfront is GORGEOUS, but full of steps. Then there were two hills that reminded me of San Francisco. They were short, but STEEP. I did not walk!! People were walking all along the course. Beautiful run. We ran along the TN River, on boardwalks, through parks and the art district. Very nice. Lot of water stops, music with an announcer. Too bad I wasn't faster. I will have to run more to improve this aspect of my race.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 7:53 AM

Veteran
Alabama
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront

2005-07-18 8:11 AM
in reply to: #200744

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront
Awesome job. You were flying!
2005-07-18 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Excellent work Kristi! Solid race all the way around, but just as important it sounds like you really enjoyed yourself too. When you're having fun, nothing seems to hurt! I'd love to swim with a current someday - kind of like a friendley tail wind on the bike. Again, great job!  

Edited by triman50 2005-07-18 8:21 AM
2005-07-18 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida

great race Kristi....I can not get over the speed in the water....I guess the current pushing you along really helps...great effort on the bike and run also the course sounded really cool with the revilaized waterfront area in Chattanooga...

again awesome race congrats....

2005-07-18 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Great race Kristi.  Glad to see you were smart enought to don the socks this time.  Chattanooga is a fun town.  I will definitely do it next year if I transfer to Memphis.
2005-07-18 5:43 PM

User image

Regular
Baton Rouge
Kick butt! THose Hosses are a pain aren't they.

By the way, 18 almost 19 mph, pretty good don't sweat it.

You da woman.

Kona is right around the corner for you.

Chris

2005-07-18 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
WOO HOO!! What an awesome race Kristi!! You did a fabulous job!!
2005-07-18 8:45 PM

User image

Regular
King George, VA

Hey Kristi, great race - what a swim (and exit)!!  Just a suggestion: on my only OWS, I breathed every 2 for a number of strokes then after sighting, switched to breathing on the other side - not quite bilateral, but gives both sides a break.

After reading your MIM report, I've been practicing riding w/o socks - got to do something to cut the T1 time down!   But I've learned from your experience and have still be wearing socks for the run.

Well it really sounds like you had a wonderful time at this race!  That's what it's all about - Congratulations!!!

jlk

2005-07-18 8:46 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Well, well, seems our BT Kristi is something of a little speedster.  Very impressive numbers you posted there, lady.  Very nice.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Rss Feed