General Discussion Race Reports! » Oshkosh Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oshkosh Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winneconne, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 45m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/30
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep too well with thunder and lightning all night.. got up and still bad outside. Ate, loaded car, bike and drove in the pouring rain.
Event warmup:

Rode bike to set up. Needed windshield wipers for my glasses! LOL Put out my stuff and drank some of my coffee I had brought. Waited in a long line for body marking but the Sharpie would not take to my soaking wet skin. Put on my garbage bag to stay warm and hung out (I was in the LAST wave). The Gods parted the clouds and the rain stopped. Just as we were herding ourselves down to the start, I came across Jim Eeeawww Donk. I'd met him before but only was sure it was him from seeing that big Cheshire Cat grin as he chatted with folks. Good seeing a fellow donk.
Swim
  • 12m 30s
  • 481 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started outside and wide and was ok until I came upon a big pack of peeps doing back stroke and side stroke. Then my breathing went haywire. Eventually got round the bouy and battled past some peeps and found a nice groove getting my face in the h20 and really finding a nice long stroke/pull.
What would you do differently?:

start in front.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Problem was deciding on whether to wear my socks now or at the run. too wet to get on so bagged 'em for the time being.

more forethought on how my socks would play into t1
Bike
  • 59m 40s
  • 16 miles
  • 16.09 mile/hr
Comments:

was a bit cautious with turns due to puddles but it was the wind that did me in. at one point going up a hill, i started to crack jokes to a chick i passed (we passed each other back and forth for a while). I think she thought I was some crackpot middle aged chick out there. LOL

train more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

funny dismount - big mushy puddle you had to sort of jump over. Well, I didn't clear it so my foot went in to about ankle deep. Just as that happened I yelled "Gross" and looked up to see a bunch of spectators laughing as they witnessed it. One of them yelled, "At least you didn't fall!" then I cracked up. Then the sock saga returned... finally got them on only to realize that one was all bunched up in my sneaker so had to take that one off and re do.

skip the socks all together and just run with the shoe inserts and not my orthotics. Orthotics really need socks to slid my foot over the edge at the heel.
Run
  • 28m 52s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

It was getting hot by the time I got to running.I saw a donk but didn't know who he was so I just said "Go Donk!!!" A guy ran by me and said "we're gonna get thru this" Um, maybe I looked in bad shape. Anyhow..I plodded on and walked thru the water station and dumped half of it on my about to explode head AAAAAAH felt great! I came upon that same guy again, he was walking and I said "hey?! we're gonna get thru this right?!" He smiled and started to run but eventually faded.

Push harder...and probably should have pushed that guy more..hey, he was a young big football player type.
Post race
Warm down:

i didn't want to eat pizza yet so got some fruit and choco milk. Wandered through a sprinkler a few times...and then some more ;) As I was packing up, saw another donk across from me and asked who he was. He was Pete with a 'whole bunch of numbers after it' for his handle on BT. Nice seeing another donk. Just as they were announcing winners, I headed out. Had to get home to head out with the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

weather but mostly lack of bike/swim training.

Event comments:

No zebra muscle cuts this year! That's a first in 3 years! Fun race and great for newbies. Rain really messed things up for race director and participants but all in all fun day. By the time I headed home, it was absolutely gorgeous out!

Last updated: 2010-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:30 | 481 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
race time say 3:07/min
Suit:
Course: out and back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:40 | 16 miles | 16.09 mile/hr
Performance:
race time say 15/mile pace
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: nice rolling country roads...some hills that burned my quad but that was due to lack of training. some tight corners but overall nice.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:52 | 03.11 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Average
race time say 9:18/mile pace
Course: out and back by lake, over drawbridge and through neighborhoods...a little hilly at start and finish.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-08-10 7:49 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: Oshkosh Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2010-08-10 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3035783

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Oshkosh Triathlon - Sprint Distance
glad you made it out there for this one! Sounds like you made the best of it and enjoyed yourself.
2010-08-11 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3035783

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI

Nice job out there! Heard the wet roads were brutal. I think you met pcs###### his name is patrick.

2010-08-11 10:26 PM
in reply to: #3036396

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
kimk - 2010-08-11 7:54 AM

Nice job out there! Heard the wet roads were brutal. I think you met pcs###### his name is patrick.

hmmm..yeah, now that you mention it...maybe it was "P with a whole bunch of numbers" LOL! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oshkosh Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed