Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-08-16 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3044435

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Indoor cycling vs real cycling
Seems like several folks see bike training as simply and means to an end as it were; get faster on the bike. If that's all you want then hop on the trainer and go to town. Just make sure you get outdoors every now and then for bike handling skills, weather conditions, etc.

For me there is so much more to enjoy about cycling that simply more "efficient" race training. I love getting out on the road, the wind in my hair face, the fresh air, flying down a nice hill, working up the other side. Sure, there are cars and potholes and such but that's all a part of cycling. I learned how to deal with all that years ago when I was a kid and we went everywhere on our bikes. I'll take an outdoor ride every day and twice on Sundays. I ride the trainer only when I absolutely have to, and for me that means extremely bad conditions (snow covered roads, ice, sub zero temps, etc) or dark. I won't ride in the dark of night or in really nasty cold weather but short of that I'm outdoors and loving it!

Edited by mrbbrad 2010-08-16 9:50 AM

2010-08-16 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3045667

User image

Veteran
Wolverine, Michigan
mrbbrad - 2010-08-16 9:48 AM Seems like several folks see bike training as simply and means to an end as it were; get faster on the bike. If that's all you want then hop on the trainer and go to town. Just make sure you get outdoors every now and then for bike handling skills, weather conditions, etc.

No, for me it is a tool that allows me to spend more time with my family.  I can train from 6:00 to 7:30, when the kids are sleeping and it is too dark to ride outside.  Otherwise I would have to give up that time after work to ride in setad of spending it with the boys.

I was just explaining that if you use it right, it isn't a waste of time.  I did say it takes mental focus, it is much harder to keep your head in the game and your HR up on the trainer, it is work mentaly.
2010-08-16 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3045146

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Fit4Infinity - 2010-08-15 8:39 PM Spinning is great when It's dark, and cold and wet outside. Get yourself a heartrate monitor so you reallly know you personal level of exertion. Spin has the advantage that you can do things on a trainer or stationary bike that just doesn't happen on the road. Like exended single leg drills, extended positions like hover that focus on triggering the glutes as the start of the power stroke and you can focus on smooth circles and long levers when you're exhausted instead of watching for glass, holes, cracks, cars and crackheads.Spin class does not teach you to read the road and time your accelerations and how to find another 3percent to reach the top of a hill at your maximum speed. Each is an important component in a complete training plan.

This is BAD advice!!!!  This is the kind of stupid, contraindicated stuff that indoor cycle instructors tell their participants to do when the instructor does not know how to coach an effective ride.

I am a Spinning instructor.

Single leg drills are not effective on an indoor, Spinning type bike.  An indoor bike is a fixed wheel, meaning that the pedals are attached to the flywheel via the chain and will continue to spin regardless of the amount of effort you put into turning the pedals.  If you get tired, you cannot simply stop pedalling.  Additionally, the heavy flywheel is doing most of the work of turning your leg around.  Your leg is just going for a ride.  These are excellent drills for your own bike on a trainer.

Hovers do not do anything for you on an indoor Spinning type bike.  This is a contraindicated movement!  DO NOT DO THEM!!!!  If you feel like you need more power from your glutes, go to the weight room and work on your butt!  Hovers take an indoor cycling participant's body out of alignment on the bike.  The knee joints, hip joints and back all take on too much stress.

Just ride the indoor bike like you would out on the road.  Like I said before, find a GREAT indoor cycling instructor who rides outside.  This person will, most likely, coach a cycling specific class that is both fun and effective for athletes and the general gym population, alike.

2010-08-16 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3045809

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
owl_girl - 2010-08-16 10:39 AM

Fit4Infinity - 2010-08-15 8:39 PM Spinning is great when It's dark, and cold and wet outside. Get yourself a heartrate monitor so you reallly know you personal level of exertion. Spin has the advantage that you can do things on a trainer or stationary bike that just doesn't happen on the road. Like exended single leg drills, extended positions like hover that focus on triggering the glutes as the start of the power stroke and you can focus on smooth circles and long levers when you're exhausted instead of watching for glass, holes, cracks, cars and crackheads.Spin class does not teach you to read the road and time your accelerations and how to find another 3percent to reach the top of a hill at your maximum speed. Each is an important component in a complete training plan.

This is BAD advice!!!!  This is the kind of stupid, contraindicated stuff that indoor cycle instructors tell their participants to do when the instructor does not know how to coach an effective ride.

Single leg drills are not effective on an indoor, Spinning type bike.  An indoor bike is a fixed wheel, meaning that the pedals are attached to the flywheel via the chain and will continue to spin regardless of the amount of effort you put into turning the pedals.  If you get tired, you cannot simply stop pedalling.  Additionally, the heavy flywheel is doing most of the work of turning your leg around.  Your leg is just going for a ride.  These are excellent drills for your own bike on a trainer.

Hovers do not do anything for you on an indoor Spinning type bike.  This is a contraindicated movement!  DO NOT DO THEM!!!!  If you feel like you need more power from your glutes, go to the weight room and work on your butt!  Hovers take an indoor cycling participant's body out of alignment on the bike.  The knee joints, hip joints and back all take on too much stress.

Just ride the indoor bike like you would out on the road.  Like I said before, find a GREAT indoor cycling instructor who rides outside.  This person will, most likely, coach a cycling specific class that is both fun and effective for athletes and the general gym population, alike.

I don't mean to pick a fight   I teach indoor cycling too and I find SLD's useful in developing smoother pedal strokes while focusing on building strength in each leg. I know for me, it really illustrates leg strength imbalances. I usually start off and low to mod. resistance, then add a bit reminding folks to back off if their form starts to slack due to work load. However, I TOTALLY agree with putting skull and crossbones on hovers and /or other contraindicated stuff like push ups, standing with no hands, popcorn jumps etc that basically serve no fitness value and potentially will cause pain due to misalignment or by falling off... If you wouldn't do it on your outside bike or trainer for that matter  - skip it.
2010-08-16 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
I'm open to discussion and really am not looking to flame an argument.    What is the element of hovers that is high risk?  I'll give you the last word.  
2010-08-16 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3045438

User image

Regular
Flagstaff
mrbbrad - 2010-08-16 3:32 AM
bschorr - 2010-08-16 2:03 AM

I love my trainer, try to ride it at least 3 times a week. 

You live in Hawaii and you love riding the trainer?

Yeah, I know.  But there are times when it's just not convenient to schedule a road ride - I can get 30-45 minutes on the trainer without all the fuss of getting out on the road and dealing with traffic and potholes and stop lights.

Also I sometimes schedule an easy 20 minute trainer session as a recovery "spin" the day after a tough run workout.

And the trainer means I don't have to worry about if it's dark or raining.

That said, I think it's imperative for a triathlete to get on the road at least once a week, if possible.  There are a lot of bike handling skills, dealing with wind, dealing with other riders, dealing with hazards on the course, braking, etc. that you just don't get on the trainer. 

2010-08-16 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3045729

User image

Elite
Ontario
NorthernNewbie - 2010-08-16 11:13 AM
mrbbrad - 2010-08-16 9:48 AM Seems like several folks see bike training as simply and means to an end as it were; get faster on the bike. If that's all you want then hop on the trainer and go to town. Just make sure you get outdoors every now and then for bike handling skills, weather conditions, etc.

No, for me it is a tool that allows me to spend more time with my family.  I can train from 6:00 to 7:30, when the kids are sleeping and it is too dark to ride outside.  Otherwise I would have to give up that time after work to ride in setad of spending it with the boys.

I was just explaining that if you use it right, it isn't a waste of time.  I did say it takes mental focus, it is much harder to keep your head in the game and your HR up on the trainer, it is work mentaly.

X2 - family time means that I don't get the opportunity to ride my bike during the week, only on weekends.  So the trainer becomes my only option - hands down I'd take the ride outside, and I've ridden in the snow and cold when it has been the weekend (but the trainer reminds me I can stay warm if I just stick indoors too).
2010-08-16 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3046118

User image

Elite
far northern CA

BbMoozer - 2010-08-16 10:19 AM
owl_girl - 2010-08-16 10:39 AM

I don't mean to pick a fight   I teach indoor cycling too and I find SLD's useful in developing smoother pedal strokes while focusing on building strength in each leg. I know for me, it really illustrates leg strength imbalances. I usually start off and low to mod. resistance, then add a bit reminding folks to back off if their form starts to slack due to work load. However, I TOTALLY agree with putting skull and crossbones on hovers and /or other contraindicated stuff like push ups, standing with no hands, popcorn jumps etc that basically serve no fitness value and potentially will cause pain due to misalignment or by falling off... If you wouldn't do it on your outside bike or trainer for that matter  - skip it.

No worries bb.

Single leg drills are a FANTASTIC exercise on your own bike on a trainer.  This is because your own bike has a free wheel, meaning if you stop pedalling, the wheel will continue to turn.  A Spinner type bike is a fixed wheel, meaning if you stop putting any effort into pedalling, the flywheel will continue to turn your legs around without you putting any effort forth.

When you do single leg drills on a Spinner bike, you are not focusing on the entire pedal stroke.  You are only able to focus on the downward motion of the pedal.  After your foot reaches 6 o'clock, the flywheel pushes your foot backwards and up because of momentum.  On your own bike on a trainer, there is no momentum pushing your foot back and up.

This exercise is best left for cyclists to do on their own bikes.  The general gym population will not benefit from this exercise on a Spinner bike.

2010-08-16 1:31 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Short answer: any training is better than no training, but specific training is better than any training

Long answer: it depends on the equipment you'll use for indoor cycling. If you use your bike and a trainer, it can be a very effective tool to get you in great shape, increase your power and do very efficient training in the comfort of your home. But if you rely on gym biking equipment or spinning bikes, it might or might not be as an effective tool or give you the strain your body needs to produce optimal training adaptations.

But, if that's what you have then you have to go with it and try making the most out of your time. Make sure to set up the bike in a similar way as the bike you ride outdoors and make sure to adjust the resistance. That plus the riding you can do outdoors should help you get in good shape, good luck!
2010-08-16 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3046265

User image

Melon Presser
Fit4Infinity - 2010-08-17 1:57 AM I'm open to discussion and really am not looking to flame an argument.    What is the element of hovers that is high risk?  I'll give you the last word.  

Depends on what you call a hover. In outdoor cycling you see it just before a rider takes off on a time trial. I might do it at a stoplight when I know the light is about to turn green, and I'm about to stand up in the saddle to accelerate through an intersection and get going again from a dead stop.

There are no functional applications for hovers in triathlon, and extremely few in cycling road racing. In any case, in the open, there's give and take between rider, bike, gears, and road.

Spinner(R) bikes, and all the copycat indoor bikes that work on a flywheel, do not have this give. Your leg pushes pedal, pedal pushes wheel, weight of wheel grabs leg and pulls on joints.

Indoor bikes were NOT designed for weight training. No weight machine would replicate that kind of movement because it isn't safe in that context.

So: 1. No benefit to triathlon training. 2. Increased risk of injury. There is NO good reason to do hovers on an indoor bike, and not really on a trainer, and any you need to do on the open road you'd do as a matter of bike handling, not cycling practice.

I taught Spinning(R) classes for the people who developed the Spinning(R) program at the World Headquarters, and edited every last one of their teaching materials (many of which were written by people like Joe Friel).

2010-08-16 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3046265

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Fit4Infinity - 2010-08-16 12:57 PM I'm open to discussion and really am not looking to flame an argument.    What is the element of hovers that is high risk?  I'll give you the last word.  

I have to ask - what is the benefit? If you want to work your hams, quads or gluts- add more resistance to simulate climbing.

As far as hovers not being beneficial -  they torque one's knee so that pedalling is more difficult and contorted thus form is lost. This move (hovering), scooching your booty back beyond the saddle, is really only used say on a mountain bike heading down some major steep hill to keep from flipping or from flying down the hill too fast; but no pedalling is done--it's really a coasting move.

I guess there is not a 'high risk' but there could be problems if done long enough over time. It also isn't doing your form or biomechanics any good but maybe you've got good reason to use this technique. If so, please enlighten me.

2010-08-16 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3046294

User image

Master
PNW
bschorr - 2010-08-16 11:04 AM

Yeah, I know.  But there are times when it's just not convenient to schedule a road ride - I can get 30-45 minutes on the trainer without all the fuss of getting out on the road and dealing with traffic and potholes and stop lights.

Also I sometimes schedule an easy 20 minute trainer session as a recovery "spin" the day after a tough run workout.

That said, I think it's imperative for a triathlete to get on the road at least once a week, if possible.  There are a lot of bike handling skills, dealing with wind, dealing with other riders, dealing with hazards on the course, braking, etc. that you just don't get on the trainer. 

I know the OP and most people responding to this already have bike handling skills...but for any beginners that happen to be reading this post and are getting the idea that trainer or spin class will be 'good enough', please note the part in bold.

I can't tell you how many people I know who think that spin class or riding a trainer plus what they knew about biking as a kid would be *enough* for the bike part of a tri.  It's not.  Get out and ride, please.  For your own safety and for the safety of the people racing with you!
2010-08-16 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3046406

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
GLC1968 - 2010-08-16 1:48 PM

I know the OP and most people responding to this already have bike handling skills...but for any beginners that happen to be reading this post and are getting the idea that trainer or spin class will be 'good enough', please note the part in bold.

I can't tell you how many people I know who think that spin class or riding a trainer plus what they knew about biking as a kid would be *enough* for the bike part of a tri.  It's not.  Get out and ride, please.  For your own safety and for the safety of the people racing with you!

Ain't THAT the truth! Even though I was teaching 3 spin classes a wk, I was not fully prepared for a duathlon early last season.  Longer, endurance rides outside are the BEST for building your race legs.
2010-08-16 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3046403

User image

Elite
far northern CA

BbMoozer - 2010-08-16 11:47 AM
Fit4Infinity - 2010-08-16 12:57 PM I'm open to discussion and really am not looking to flame an argument.    What is the element of hovers that is high risk?  I'll give you the last word.  

I have to ask - what is the benefit? If you want to work your hams, quads or gluts- add more resistance to simulate climbing.

As far as hovers not being beneficial -  they torque one's knee so that pedalling is more difficult and contorted thus form is lost. This move (hovering), scooching your booty back beyond the saddle, is really only used say on a mountain bike heading down some major steep hill to keep from flipping or from flying down the hill too fast; but no pedalling is done--it's really a coasting move.

I guess there is not a 'high risk' but there could be problems if done long enough over time. It also isn't doing your form or biomechanics any good but maybe you've got good reason to use this technique. If so, please enlighten me.

And to add to bb's great description.....

Hovers on an indoor Spinning type bike force your hips into an unnatural angle for pedalling efficiency....or should I say inefficiency.  There is just too much of an angle at the hip for your your everyday gym person.

Just ride the bike.

2010-08-16 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3046461

User image

Elite
far northern CA

BbMoozer - 2010-08-16 12:05 PM
GLC1968 - 2010-08-16 1:48 PM

Ain't THAT the truth! Even though I was teaching 3 spin classes a wk, I was not fully prepared for a duathlon early last season.  Longer, endurance rides outside are the BEST for building your race legs.

Agree!!!!  People grossly overestimate the amount of work they are doing in an indoor cycling class!

And back to the original question.  If you are not in the middle of a dedicated program designed to prepare you for a triathlon, indoor cycling classes are just fine.  If you are training for a specific race, you better get on that real bike of yours.

2010-08-16 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3046324

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
owl_girl - 2010-08-16 1:17 PM

No worries bb.

Single leg drills are a FANTASTIC exercise on your own bike on a trainer.  This is because your own bike has a free wheel, meaning if you stop pedalling, the wheel will continue to turn.  A Spinner type bike is a fixed wheel, meaning if you stop putting any effort into pedalling, the flywheel will continue to turn your legs around without you putting any effort forth.

When you do single leg drills on a Spinner bike, you are not focusing on the entire pedal stroke.  You are only able to focus on the downward motion of the pedal.  After your foot reaches 6 o'clock, the flywheel pushes your foot backwards and up because of momentum.  On your own bike on a trainer, there is no momentum pushing your foot back and up.

This exercise is best left for cyclists to do on their own bikes.  The general gym population will not benefit from this exercise on a Spinner bike.

You have a point BUT if one has a good measure of resistance (say the feel of riding into some headwinds) they really should HAVE to pull up the backside to get the pedal rotating smoothly over the top. But I do agree, there are probably many peeps in the class who don't bike outside so likely are putting no where near the actual feel of a headwind on their flywheel.

I'll bet you lead a great class.

2010-08-16 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I must say, the spin class argument is much more civil than the strength training arguments.
2010-08-16 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3046565

User image

Elite
far northern CA

BbMoozer - 2010-08-16 12:39 PM
owl_girl - 2010-08-16 1:17 PM

No worries bb.

You have a point BUT if one has a good measure of resistance (say the feel of riding into some headwinds) they really should HAVE to pull up the backside to get the pedal rotating smoothly over the top. But I do agree, there are probably many peeps in the class who don't bike outside so likely are putting no where near the actual feel of a headwind on their flywheel.

I'll bet you lead a great class.

Thanks!

Most regular gym people just don't have the cycling knowledge to be able to pull off this drill with any success.  Most will drop the hip of the foot they are concentrating on pedalling with as they approach the bottom of the pedal stroke.  Then, as they try to bring their foot up and behind, their whole hip will rise.  This movement puts too much stress on the lower back if they are pedalling with lots of resistance.  If they don't have much resistance, then the flywheel is doing the work.

Instead, you could suggest during their warm up that they focus on unweighting their foot as it passes through the bottom of the pedal stroke.  They should always have both feet on the pedals.

I sure hope this thread helps any of the BT folks that are thinking about taking a Spinning class.  You really have to find a good instructor.  There are just too many instructors out there that are doing aerobics on a bike with blatant disregard toward proper biomechanics.

2010-08-16 8:05 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
yeah, Owlgirl is right. Lots of misinformation out there.
FWIW, I do have em keep both feet on the pedals (liability issues of course ) but just let one foot go along for the ride while the other works.  
2010-08-16 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3046573

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
mrbbrad - 2010-08-16 3:41 PM I must say, the spin class argument is much more civil than the strength training arguments.

That's because ladies are more civilized than we are.  Innocent

2010-08-16 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3047157

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
TriMyBest - 2010-08-16 8:17 PM
mrbbrad - 2010-08-16 3:41 PM I must say, the spin class argument is much more civil than the strength training arguments.

That's because ladies are more civilized than we are.  Innocent

Of course you know that the after a little tweaking of the prototype, THEN perfection was attained with the creation of WOMAN

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor cycling vs real cycling Rss Feed  

of 2