Multirace
80?F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 11s
Overall Rank = 38/146
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

coffee, luna bar, sips of water. set up area, got marked. picked up t-shirts, which we later realized were from races we never did in 2004. lame.
Event warmup:

walked over to the swim start. actually got in the lake and warmed up. this was great-I felt ready and it helped take away the bad feelings I had about the nasty lake swim! water temp was warm to some, but it was just perfect for me.
Swim
  • 07m 43s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

We were the third wave. I stood up front, and dove in between two women for a good position. The first 100, I felt like the whole wave was swimming together. It thinned out, and I kept my eye on a swimmer who I could see every time I took a breath on the left side. I had a lot of trouble navigating. It was sunny when you looked up, and my goggles were fogged. I even took my goggles off at one point to check where I was. I was fine, on course, but had some anxiety about that.
What would you do differently?:

I had a great swim-1st in AG, 2nd for gender, 15th overall, so I'm very pleased. I am going to look into anti fog drops for my goggles, and need to learn to trust my swimming in a straight line a little better.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

It says I was 1st in category for this. I don't really remember it. I got my cap and goggles off while running, put on my sunglasses, helmet and shoes (rehearsed this order prior to race, as in antoher race I had tried to put glasses on after helmet and had a hard time) and ran through the transition-we were 2 racks from the line, so it was a quick run. decided to run with shoes on my feet, rather than on bike, b/c we were so close.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 30m 21s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasn't passed by another female until after the 1st lap (there was one in front of me, don't know if I passed her or not). My age group has some really stong, tough women! At the second turn around, there was a group of 3 women just up ahead of me, and they shouted (I think to me)-"catch the peleton!" very cool! but, I knew it would waste me to catch up, so I just tried to race my own race. I passed alot of people and got passed by quite a few, but I felt like I was having a great race on the bike. My pace wasn't any faster than my last race, which had 2 hills, but it felt faster. I had decided not to wear my watch so all throughout the race, I had no idea of time. This was good-so I could just race how I felt.

I'm getting some areo bars this week, hopefully. I think this will help, but ultimately, I need to BIKE MORE! we met a guy who lives around the corner and they have a small group that rides a few times a week, and leave from near our house..gonna hook up with them. His overall time in the race was 1 sec. faster than me (he's 20), but it was due to his swim. he's a strong biker, so that will be good.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I had a few technical difficulties...my cute skirt got a little caught on the elastic band. next time I will practice buckling it, or just fix it on the run. Also, fumbled with my socks and shoes a little. I was 7th in this transition (doh!)

go faster:)
Run
  • 20m 11s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran this pretty well. It took me well into what was probably a mile before I had my breath. Again, gotta get biking so I'm not so winded. I picked it up the last 1/2 mile, and passed someone who had passed me on the bike. I ran smart, but maybe could've run harder. Once I could breathe, I felt strong. Legs felt very strong.

Maybe push harder sooner. The 2nd place in my AG was about 45 sec. ahead of me, and I knew it would take a lot to catch her, so I just sort of let it go. Don't know if I could've caught her on the run, but her run time was 3 sec slower than mine.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to Herdaughter and hermom, and a few other racers. met up with my husband and my friend who came to watch me. Drank 2 smart waters and ate a banana and 1/2 a bagel. Waited around for the medal ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my biking.

Event comments:

I really like this race. However, we picked up our shirts at the race (b/c they didn't include them in the race packet which was moldy from leaky power gel or something!), only to get home and see they were shirts from 2 races last year. not even the tradewinds 04 race, but 2 different races. now I don't race to get a shirt-have plenty, but I'd rather pay 40 v. 50 and get no shirt than a shirt from a race I never did!!! And I registered a month ago. My only gripe!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:43 | 400 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 15/146
Performance: Good
Suit: tyr one piece
Course: a point to point swim across the brown lake. FLAT!!!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:21 | 10 miles | 19.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 53/146
Wind: Headwind
Course: A 5-mile out and back loop X 2. Some definite wind. lots of corners, which I felt really stong on. I rode through all of them, just slowed on the turn around. I passed alot of people on the turns. I'm feeling more confident on my bike. THere was a headwind on parts.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:11 | 02.5 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 38/146
Course: a bit winding, mostly on the park road, through the woods a bit and back. I teach boot camp classes at this park, and have raced here, so I was familiar with where I was. I like that.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 5:57 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: Tradewinds Triathlon

2005-07-19 6:51 AM
in reply to: #201609

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: RE: Tradewinds Triathlon
Nice race Mimi!  Congratulations!  I enjoyed reading your RR and learned a lot from your experience (I'm taking notes...).  I'm happy you had a good race.  And you got 3rd place to boot!  Great job.
2005-07-19 8:25 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Way to go Mimi! You're getting to be an old pro in the awards pictures
2005-07-19 8:34 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
AWESOME JOB! fabulous race and 3rd place too! wierd about the shirts. i would call or email the race director and complain. i've had race directors send shirts in the mail later on (not for me, because i also have PLENTY, but when my 3 year old did a kids' race and they ran out of xxs shirts, i complained). so, did you get any goodies for 3/11???
2005-07-20 3:05 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Mimi,
Congrats on 3rd place. After reading your blogs over the last couple of months, I knew that you were fast. Did you get a medal? Great pic of the awards cerimony.

All three events looked fantastic. Good race report. If you incorporate the things that you want to work on, I bet that you'll be 1st next race.

Jen
2005-07-20 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
You so rock!!!!!! Wow! Congratulations! Excellent race - I've got to start taking some pointers from you. Great job!

2005-07-20 6:51 PM

, Alabama

Mimi, you totally rock!  Too bad I couldn't make it to that race to see you blow everyone away!

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tradewinds Triathlon Rss Feed