Endorfun
53F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 58s
Overall Rank = 166/1069
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 23/82
Pre-race routine:

Got up early with son and ate banana and energy drinks. Got to site and parked by 5:15. Plenty of time to relax.
Event warmup:

Short swim, some dynamic stretching, shoulder exercises for swim. It was great to be onsite so early and have a lot of time to relax and get situated.
Swim
  • 08m 30s
  • 581 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was an in water start. I seeded myself about two rows back from the start. Nothing prepared me for my first big swim start. The first 50 yards were chaos. Normal for a big tri I guess, but it was crazy. My goggles actually got kicked off my head. I turned to grab them and thought a seal crowd was trying to run me over. I quickly put them back on and got going again. I was getting kicked, elbowed, pulled, etc. I tried to sprint my way out of it with my head up to navigate, and about 50 yards later I was clear but gassed. At that point a pretty quick swimmer went by me and I settled onto his hip and let him take me home. The last 500 yards were smoking fast. Time is quicker than normal partially because the timing mat was right at the exit of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Probably train to start at the front and sprint like a maniac for a while, then recover and finish. Overall I was ecstatic with this swim time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

No separate time for T1 and T2 were given. Overall my transition time was high. One reason was the run from out of the water to transition was very long. But wetsuit strippers rock, that part was quick. I used this race to practice my HIM transition plan, so I also put on bike shorts and socks, things I probably wouldn't bother with for a sprint.
Bike
  • 46m 5s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought this was a great bike. This course starts with a few short hills, and then one long climb, and then a fast downhill before the turn around and reverse those hills. I was passed twice during the ride, and I seemed to be passing people the whole way. After about 5 miles I started playing cat and mouse with someone from my age group - it really helped to push harder. He typically went by me on the steeper uphills and I kept him in my reach, and then on the crest or a flatter hill I would pass him. Sadly, he passed me for the last time at the end in a no passing zone. I refuse to break the rules, so I wouldn't go outside the cones and keep up. I gave this bike a huge effort for me and didn't leave much time out there. The only let up was when a big group was stuck together and a car was trying to pass; I had to wait a while for some free air. GPS marked the bike at 15.4 miles.

Not much, keep training hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

See T1. I felt fairly quick through this transition without much wasted time.

Not much.
Run
  • 22m 31s
  • 2.85 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

This course is an out and back, with a gentle up hill the whole first half and then down the same hill for the last half. The first mile my pace was pretty slow as my legs recovered from the bike, and then I sped up to finish the hill and ran pretty hard the final 1.5 miles after the turnaround. I'm always amazed how slow the people passing me are running! My Garmin had the run at 2.85 miles. The bottom line is the run is just not my strength. I'll keep training hard for it, but there's no doubt my genetic gifts are not in the run area.

Keep training the run as the limiter.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was extremely pleased with this event. As not an A race, I still beat my top goal time. My swim was off the chart from my expectations, and the bike and run were about as good as I had possibly hoped for.

Last updated: 2009-12-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:30 | 581 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/82
Overall: 183/1069
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:05 | 15 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/82
Overall: 98/1069
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:31 | 02.85 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/82
Overall: 349/1069
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-23 10:37 AM

User image

NH
Subject: Timberman - Sprint

2010-08-23 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3058802

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Timberman - Sprint
Fantastic! And for someone whose run is a limiter - that's still a pretty nice pace. Great job achieving your "stars aligning" goal.
2010-08-23 2:16 PM

User image

NH
To be fair, the run wasn't quite 3 miles but I didn't want to change the "official" race distance.  My true running pace was more like 7:55.  But thanks, I was thrilled with the pace in any event.
2010-08-23 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
WA
Phenomenal job!!! 
I am impressed with that swim time!!  Dude, you are a natural FISH!!!!! Wink
2010-08-23 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
You smoked this course Warren!  Great job racing your race and pushing through to the end after a rough swim start!  Excellent times for not being an A race!
2010-08-24 2:17 PM

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Congrats on being able to enjoy the fruits of your labors (speed, strength, & endurance)!!

2010-08-25 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Great race Warren. Nice recovery from a rough start to finish with a smoking swim time. All those miles on the bike really paid off with an excellent ride. Even though you would like to be a little faster, that was a solid performance on the run as well. A very well executed race all around. Congrats!!!!

Anthony
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Sprint Rss Feed