General Discussion Race Reports! » Summer Sizzler International Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Summer Sizzler International Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hiawassee, Georgia
United States
Great Smoky Mountains Triathlon Club
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 13s
Overall Rank = 7/105
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Derek, Scott, and I drove up to Hiawassee Friday night, and stayed at a friend's house. Actually, behind their house they have a separate garage with a two bedroom suit above it full finished. It was extremely nice, and best of all saved us two hotel nights (e.g. $$$$$) which was really nice!!!!!

Alarm went off at 5:00 AM, jumped in the shower and dressed. We were out the door by 5:45 AM. I drank a boost and ate a powerbar for morning nutrition.
Event warmup:

No warm up. I got tranistion set up, and kinda goofed off. As we goofed off I saw AJ Perrillo (which I knew was very fast and just got on the OA podium of Tri the Mountains Sprint), I went over and busted his chops. AJ is a great guy, and we chatted about the race, tri the mountain, etc., before we got started.

We had our pre-race meeting, and learned that they had to cut the bike leg short this year because of construction on the route in the NC part. I was a bit down by this, since then it became a "swimmers race". A 12 mile bike and 4 mile run just does not give me enough time to make up for a slow swim. Nonetheless, I was going to give it a go.
Swim
  • 26m 57s
  • 1287 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

15 second count down, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.......GO, and we were off. First 200 meters performance was solid. It was about that time that I got a huge mouth full of water which caused me to switch from FS to BS for one stoke to get some air. After that, I tried to work into a rhythm, but I was having issues getting into rhythm. I just could not seem to find a comfort level in the water. I started working my kick, drafting, etc., but I was still breathing every stroke. I am much faster on a three stroke/breath count, but I could not get there for waterever reason. So, I tried to stay focus and keep moving forward. Finished up lap one, out around the tree, and back in for lap two.

Lap two was uneventful as everyone was spread out, but I was still able to find another swimmer and did my best to draft off of their hip.

Besides not finding a rhythm, I was still swimming straight, and my navigation was spot on. I would consider the limited drafting an improvement. Still, lots to work on with my swim.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on my swim more. I am a solid MOP swimmer, but I really need to work on becoming a FOMOP or BOFOP swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

T1 time is included in the swim split, but I would guess it was around my normal 30 seconds.

Nothing
Bike
  • 33m 36s
  • 12.22 miles
  • 21.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Exit T1, and mounted the bike. I was able to get both feet in before the first hill, climbed, and strapped in at the top. Started finding my rhythm on my exit of the park, and started to drop the hammer. For whatever reason my breathing was still very heavy from the swim, and I could not get it under control until I made the turn at the 4.5 mile marker. Still, within the first 4.5 miles I was sucking people in left and right.

After I made the turn I was able to get my breathing under control, and started pushing the pace. I passed people the entire back stretch. There was one major climb around mile marker 7.5 and again around mile 9. I would roll up to the hill, and have 3-4 people climbing ahead of me. By the time I reached the top, I would be on the rear wheel of the last person, which means I blew by all of them on the decent.

Climbed the final hill around the 9 mile marker, and then quickly found my way to the main drag. Another couple of miles, and back in the park. As I entered the park I saw AJ making the turn at the front (he was on the run already). Hammered to T2 to start the run.

I have more in the tank, and I just need to learn to unload some more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

T2 is included in the run split, I believe, since my bike split lines up with my bike's computer.

Nothing
Run
  • 26m 40s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Wheeled out of T2, and quickly passed a few people. After that I found myself in no-man's land and just tried to find my pace. When I reached the entrace to the parking lot as I headed out, I saw Derek wheeling in on the bike. I gave him a thumbs up as he passed, and headed to the front of the park. I was doing my best to close the gap between me and the front runners, but everyone seemed to be moving about the same speed so the gap was not closing fast enough.

I sat it down in cruise control, and just held on to that pace. I actually cheered on several people as I passed. Mainly in the parking lot as that had the only main climb on the course other than a few rollers. Several people were close to a walk on that climb, and I came back cheering them on and saying "come on, lets go" "great job you are at the top", etc. and I saw at least two different people pick it up and power to the top.

Odd part was that it was not until the final mile of the run that I found my rhythm on the run, and started powering to the finish.

Run faster, is that an option?
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed some water, and waited for Derek and Scott to finish. Cheered them on, and then cheered others as they finished. Talk to several of the guys that had already finished, and ran into BT'er McQ (Darrel McHug took 3rd OA). McQ can move in the water, swim split of 22:18 is impressive and I believe was the second fastest of the day after T1.

Event comments:

I ended up taking 7th OA, 2nd AG
Derek took 23rd OA, and 2nd in Clydes
Scott took 35th OA
AJ took 1st OA
McQ took 3rd OA

Solid overall day. It was not the preformance that I wanted, but I will take it. The good news was that I had less than 24 hours before the next race, so I could give it another go on Sunday.

Last updated: 2010-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:57 | 1287 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/105
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Two laps around the island. Between laps you come out of the water, run around a tree, and then back in for lap two.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:36 | 12.22 miles | 21.82 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out of the park, hang a left, down 4.5 miles, hang a right, 5.5 miles on a backstreet, and then another right on the main drag around mile marker 10. 2.2 miles back to the park and into the park. Total bike leg was 12.22 both days.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:40 | 04 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Two laps around the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-28 10:00 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Summer Sizzler International Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Summer Sizzler International Distance Triathlon Rss Feed