Team Ortho
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 13s
Overall Rank = 5/153
Age Group = 2 per mix relay
Age Group Rank = 2/65
Pre-race routine:

Jeremy and I were signed up to do this as individuals. We had decided to just take the old bikes and call it a "fun" race with no performance goals. Then, on Thursday, one of the hand docs told J that he really shouldn't race a bike this soon after the injury. It was then that we made the call to Team Ortho to get switched to a relay. I am very appreciative that they were able to handle our request and gave us no grief at all about it. So, there we were... signed up for a relay. We haven't done a relay since Treadman in '07 when I did the run and J did the bike. I decided to take the Trek and really race since we might actually be competitive in the relay.

The car was packed the night before so all we had to do was get dressed and go. Ate a little breakfast and took my coffee to go. We talked chip swap strategy on the way up to Minneapolis.
Event warmup:

I took the bike out for a short spin and Jeremy jogged a little to warm up. Not much point for me to warm up as I had to stand around for a short time while he ran.
Run
  • 21m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

While Jeremy was running I kept an eye on my watch so I would be ready. I got my shoes, helmet, glasses and gloves, on and took a little gel. As I was watching, I was noticing that there weren't many other relay teams coming in.
What would you do differently?:

Jeremy says "it would be nice to be faster."
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I saw Jeremy come in and ran over to the exchange zone. He held the bike, I grabbed the chip, slapped it on my ankle and trotted off. That's when my sore glute had to chime in with some comments. Ouch. That's still a problem. Other than having to yell at two people to get out of my way, it was a good transition.

Nothing really. I couldn't run much faster with a sore butt muscle.
Bike
  • 52m 38s
  • 17.43 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Let's just say that going first in Wave 1 simply rocks! No traffic issues at all. Whoot! I knew I didn't have to run after, so I just hammered it as hard as possible. There was one guy that I kept passing and I asked if he was a relay. He was, so I told him I was going to keep chasing him. I dropped him, but then I guess I was slacking a bit and he caught me. Doh! He ended up dropping me on the hills at the end. I was fading a bit at the end; don't think I had enough calories in me. As I rounded the last turn, I started looking for the dismount line. I heard lots of yelling, and saw the TT finish flag, but no dismount line. Finally I spotted it, stopped and hopped off.

Could I have ridden harder? I don't know. This was a pretty good effort for me. Maybe at the end I could have pushed a tiny bit harder. Maybe.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

As I ran into T2, I saw a line of runners waiting, but didn't see Jeremy. I parked the bike in the exchange zone and just yelled "Jeremy!". Kind of rude, but it worked. Another speedy chip exchange. Then he was off.
Run
  • 22m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

(From Jeremy) Seemed like a steeper hill this time. Not many spectators and the finish seemed kind of hidden.

When Jeremy went out for the second run, I had to walk a bit to bring my HR down. Then I found an open rack, put my bike up and stretched. My glute was hurting and I needed to try to keep it limber. It sure was nice to change out of bike shoes and put on flips and hang around. I like this relay thing! I chatted with a couple people, then walked down to see Jeremy finish.
Post race
Warm down:

5/153 all relay teams

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Jeremy- Lack of being a fast runner.
Me- Bumpy road and natural slowness.

Event comments:

After we cooled off some more, we took my bike back to the car and changed clothes. Then we walked the 12 blocks to Brit's pub for the cake and beer and awards. I looked at the list and saw 41 teams listed (they weren't all on that sheet yet). Then at the top in the number 2 spot was Team Ekman. We finished 2nd out of 65 mixed 2-person teams. I really couldn't believe it. The award was a cool lucite display with the finisher medal enclosed. Pretty cool stuff. In all, it was a fun race. And really, we may revisit the formula for the team du.

Last updated: 2010-03-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:40 | 03.11 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/65
Overall: 0/153
Performance: Good
Wave 1 standings 21/116
Course: (From Jeremy) Loop with an out and back. Some cobblestones and a bridge. Running on cobbles was a challenge. Had to be careful of the seams in the bridge. Both runs use the same course.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:52:38 | 17.43 miles | 19.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/65
Wave 1 standings 22/116 Avg HR- 166 Max HR- 173
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Mostly out and back on urban roads. Rough pavement.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:34 | 03.11 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/65
Wave 1 standings 17/116
Course: Same as first run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-30 7:38 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Minneapolis Duathlon

2010-08-31 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3072408

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Minneapolis Duathlon

2 of out 65 is simply great!  Great job!

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-08-31 10:04 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Minneapolis Duathlon Rss Feed