Maine Sport Outfitters
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 17s
Overall Rank = 104/115
Age Group = W40-49
Age Group Rank = 10/12
Pre-race routine:

This is a VERY LONG race report for a very small local race. My first Olympic distance, with about 115 of my friends and neighbors running around my town. That part is really cool, because you see a lot of familiar faces during the race. Having biked and run the route, I thought I could finish between 3 and 4 hours (with 3 hours being best case scenario and 4 hours the worst case scenario).

Hurricane Earl wound it's way up the coast arriving as a tropical depression Friday night. I had hoped to scout out the swim buoys on Saturday (just to help with visualization), but they hadn't put them out as of Saturday evening.

Slept okay Saturday night until around 4am when I woke up and just tossed and turned until I decided to get out of bed at 6:30. Went downstairs, made myself a cup of coffee, a bagel and a poached egg. Cut up an apple to eat before the swim started. Matt dropped me off at the site around 8am (the site is about 4 miles from our house - very small local race). Transition was first come first served, so I parked in near the bike and run out across from another bike. I went and got my t-shirt and number marked (because it's such a small race, the age groups were by decades instead of half decades - the first digit of your race number was your age group).

I went to go set up my area and found I was racked next to Art - somewhat of a local legend...he's 75 and still doing triathlons, road races, etc...and he has qualified and run in the Boston Marathon for the last few years.

A good friend of mine (who had been running with me the last couple of months) was doing the swim as a relay, so she showed up and we chatted until just about time for the pre-race meeting. I wiggled into my wetsuit, had my friend's husband zip me up and we walked down to the shore.
Event warmup:

Wiggling into the wetsuit!

Everything was very much on time - like clockwork...at precisely 9am, the race director shouted "Go!"
Swim
  • 17m 34s
  • 984 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

The shout went out and we waded/ran in - very long run in (slow grade into the water). Finally got deep enough to swim and I dove in. At this point, my adrenaline was pumping and I could tell I needed to relax a bit. Slowed down for a bit and popped up to see how things were going. Everyone was swimming in the same basic direction, so I decided to follow some feet (couldn't get in the right position to draft) for a while before sighting again. Next time I popped up, I noticed the buoy was way off to my right and I was taking a long arc out...arrgghh! Started sighting on the buoy, made the first turn and felt ok. I knew I wasn't a speedy swimmer coming into this and I felt like I could easily finish. Just kept plugging away until the turn back to shore...at this point someone started swimming really close to me (keep in mind, the field had significantly thinned out and there was plenty of room) and kept kicking me. I stopped for a count of 10 to let them get out of my way, and then started swimming again. Once my hand touched the bottom, I stood up, unzipped the wetsuit, took the cap, goggles and ear plugs out and left them in the sleeve and I took the top down.
What would you do differently?:

Not sight at the beginning of the swim. Don't assume that everyone else is sighting correctly.
Transition 1
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

Ran up the beach to transition and noticed that Art was sitting on the ground getting his wetsuit off. I asked if he would like help and he seemed surprised but said, "Sure, if you don't mind." I reached over, grabbed his wetsuit and popped it right off. Now, why *wouldn't* I take a couple of seconds to help him out...totally the right thing to do.

Suit off, socks (which were rolled - much better than last time), shoes on, helmet on, gus in front pocket, powered on the Garmin (shoot! I meant to start it before the swim but totally forgot) sunglasses on, bike off the rack and on my way.

I could have shaved a couple of seconds off by not helping Art...but I am glad I didn't.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 30s
  • 26 miles
  • 16.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Heart-rate was still high from swim/transition - so I spent a bit of time at the start of the ride trying to settle down. Once I felt like I had slowed the HR down, I then felt like I could start riding the course. Going up 105 was ROUGH (the road is in terrible condition). I really liked that it was a two loop course, so I told myself to take it easy, reassess how I felt at the start of the second loop and then push hard if it felt right.

There was great support on the route (the volunteers did a fantastic job stopping traffic at important intersections, lots of signs showing the route, etc). As I turned off of 105 onto 235, one of the folks that I run with on Friday nights was the course guide! Tried to drink something every 15 minutes or so. As I got to the start of the second loop, I glanced at the timer...56 minutes. Arrgghh! Much slower than I wanted - but right in line with what I thought I could do. Took a gel and kept going. Pushed it until the final turn onto 52 (about 2 miles from transistion), drank the last of my front water bottle and ate another Gu). Glanced down at the Garmin and saw 1:28! Woot! Got a negative split going on the bike. Yeah!

Maybe a touch harder on the first loop, but really wanted to save it for the run. My average speed looks good for me!
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Had to pee from about 10 minutes on the bike, so decided before I got into T2 that I would use the porta potties during this transition. Ripped the bike shoes off, jammed the visor on, slipped the runners on (love those Yankz), grabbed the Aquaphor and ran to the porta potties (which, unfortunately were about 300 ft in the opposite direction of the run out), did my stuff while lubing up my under arms (which suffer from serious chafing), ran past my transition area and dropped off the Aquaphor and out the gate.

Not have to pee.
Run
  • 1h 11m
  • 6.6 miles
  • 10m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out a little too fast at the beginning, but settled right in. Almost 1/2 mile in, a really fast running guy passed me going the other way...turns out he was the winner! With this being an out and back for the start and finish, I got to see a lot of people coming back - which I really liked (because it was a local race and I got to see a lot of people that I knew). I had told Matt and the kids to be at a certain intersection at 11:30 (thinking that that would be the very earliest I could possibly be at that place on the run)...as I passed the intersection, I could see the kids getting out of the car. I was so psyched! I was going at a better than expected pace AND the family gave me a good yell!

Turned up the start of the lollipop - which is a 2/3 mile uphill grind. The course was pretty spread out, but I could see a few people up ahead. Passed one lady (Did you catch that - I passed someone, running, up.a.hill? Will wonders never cease?) who did not look good. Made it to the top (woot!) and started down. About halfway down the hill, I hear a tremendous BBRRAAAPPP behind me, I whipped around and said, "Nice One!" No response...probably embarrassed. I kept going and this person passes me with headphones on. Now, that really chaps my hide. This is a USAT-sanctioned race. No headphones allowed. I wasn't wearing headphones. But she was. So, she missed out on my witty reparte about the epic burp.

Went back past where the kids were (right next to an aid station), they gave me my water (nice!) and knew I was only 2 miles from the finish line. Kept chugging along, started to feel achy and a touch crampy in my hamstrings. Went up the last hill and started to push what little I had left the last 1/4 mile. The family had driven to the finish line and was right there as I crossed. I pushed as hard as I could and was very happy to stop running at the end.

After checking my watch, I realized that when I run this route with my friend first thing in the morning, my usual time was between 1:04 and 1:06...this time *after* swimming and biking it was 1:11. Pretty happy with that!

Keep training on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Got hugs and kisses from the family, drank some water, took off my shoes and waded into the lake (that felt good!). Chatted with some friends and then started to crash. Everything hurt or was tired. Noticed that the bottom of my feet hurt.

Picked up all my stuff and walked with the family out to the car. Ok - that's a stretch...shuffled out to the car. It was hard to walk. Matt loaded up the car (thank goodness) and I sat down.

Once I got home and took a shower, I stretched out on the bed...that felt SOOOOO good. I don't think I have every felt that physically tired in my life. I didn't want to sleep - I just wanted to lay down. As I was lying there I kept thinking, "If this is how I feel after an Olympic distance tri - how would I feel after a HIM?" It may be in my best interest to take another year of building up a base...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics? No athletic training for the first 42 years of my life? Working full time while raising a family?

The good news is these are all surmountable limits. I can and will get faster and better.

Event comments:

Very well organized...punctual, well marked, clear instructions. Nice route, nice small race.

Last updated: 2009-12-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:34 | 984 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/115
Performance:
Suit: Nineteen full-sleeve
Course: Out the left side of Barrett's Cove, to the buoy, right turn across the cove to the next buoy, right turn again and back to the shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:34:30 | 26 miles | 16.51 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Two loop course, out Beaucaire around Megunticook Lake, right onto 105, right onto 235, right onto 173, right onto 52, to Molyneaux and back out 105 again!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:11:00 | 06.6 miles | 10m 46s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back with a lollipop including a 2/3 mile uphill grind.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-06 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: Maine Sport Triathlon

2010-09-07 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3084265

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Maine Sport Triathlon
It was nice seeing you on the run!  You made your best case scenerio....nice!  Good racing!

Will I see you at Lobsterman?  I have Pumkinman on 9/11 too.  I am excited to do a sprint after a Oly.
2010-09-07 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3084638

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I'm volunteering for the Pumpkinman HIM (on Sunday), participating in Lobsterman and the Mainiac (a sprint in Biddeford the weekend after Lobsterman)...I'll keep an eye out for you!

The sprint will feel nice and short after the Olys I'm hoping!
2010-09-07 8:13 AM

User image

NH
That's a great race Jennifer.  You crushed your goals, and to finish the run so close to stand alone time is just great.  Your swimming is also outstanding.  Super karma helping out with the wetsuit, he'll be telling that story for sure - you'll become part of local tri legend!

Take a step back and relish this accomplishment.
2010-09-07 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
WA
"Genetics? No athletic training for the first 42 years of my life? Working full time while raising a family?" <--------- LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Very humorous! Funny about the burp too!! 

Great job!!

2010-09-07 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Fantastic job!! Love the story & very nice of you to help out w/ the suit!

Camden is beautiful -- great spot for a tri!

2010-09-08 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Jennifer, I can't tell you how impressed I am with your race.  First of all, you crushed it by hitting your "best case scenario"... that's awesome.  But the neat thing is that you were able to think your way through the course because you didn't have to worry about your conditioning.  I think that's the best example of a well-trained athlete!  Super, super job!  I think you could do a HIM sooner than you think.
2010-09-08 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Impressive race!!  Fantastic job on hitting your stretch goal.  I love all the sidelines in your race report, sounds like you had a great time.  Congrats!!
2010-09-10 12:32 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Congrats on a superbly executed Oly cherry poppin'!

Very fast swim for you. Well done. (re the kicker: that's what throwing a wide, instead of high, elbow is for on the recovery )

So lovely about Art. Race karma does translate into seconds saved. I promise.
2010-09-11 8:22 PM

User image

Elite

In T1 you put GUs into the front pocket... Front pocket of what? If you have rear pockets, why not put them in before you zip up your wetsuit? Few seconds to be saved.

Great job negative splitting the bike.

For sure find a new top that does not chafe. I would suggest something seamless. Try a few different brands. Or bodyglide should last longer.

Awesome job on the run almost beating the family to the intersection.

Great race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maine Sport Triathlon Rss Feed