Midwest Sports Events
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 3s
Overall Rank = 177/889
Age Group = m45-49
Age Group Rank = 24/
Pre-race routine:

Well I am knee deep in marathon training, so no real taper for this thing. Dave suggested that I use this as a dry run for marathon day and treat the evening before as if I was doing the Marathon. So even though I have done this race every year since it started (6th year) and can now do a 1/2 marathon in my sleep,I was quite nervous and on edge the night before. I ate the required pasta and went to bed too late. Some how I miscalculated how early I would need to get up to get to race in a relaxed fashion and ended up arriving at race rushed for time and kind of harried. I hope that is not foreshadowing. At registration I saw lrunfit and said a quick hello and then saw Lunatick (but not all the people standing by her, which I also knew) I was a little iffy on what to wear, but went with Donkey running top and some arm warmers. (which turns out make your arms warm)
Event warmup:

Did about a 1/2 mile warm up before needing to head over to start line.
Run
  • 1h 44m 3s
  • 13.15 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Dave gave me strict instructions to go out easy and below goal pace the first few miles. At trailbreaker I had broken the race into three segments, FIrst few miles easy, but at just about PR pace, Miles 3-10 at goal pace and push with whatever extra energy I had the last 3. So I thought I would give that strategy a go again because it had resulted in a PR.

First mile was slow going because of crowd. I was hoping for about 8:05 and got 8:24. Also my Garmin was reading a HR higher than I expected (about 160). So I was slower than I want to be and seem to be working harder than I should. I started to get nervous. I wanted to surge ahead to make up some time. However I kept hearing Dave in my head telling me not to start out too fast (if you you have ever had Dave in your head you know it can be a bit un-nerving). So mile 2 was about 8:05 and right on target with where I wanted to be for early miles. I told myself I would make mile 1's time up on the back end of the race. At mile 3 I finally gave myself permission to push pace up a notch. Miles 3 through 10 I plugged along at a pace between 7:50 and 8:00. The pace was pretty comfortable. My HR stuck arounf 160, which was a little high and made me nervous about blowing up late. However my RPE was comfy so I stopped worrying. I entertained myself by reviewing other people's form. (oh that guy needs to stand up straight... oh I wish that guy would stop clomping...what the hell is that guy doing with his arms?) About this time (about mile 8-9) I realized something was missing: the ladies. Somehow I had gotten in spot with only dudes. Now racing without pace booty is like a day without sunshine. I was hoping it was only a temporary situation. (During some later miles there did appear some rays of sunshine. ;))

Usually during these races I manage to screw up my hydration/ nutrition. Not today. I took two fuel belt bottles and took a drink at each aid station and when I was thirsty. I took two servings of shot bloks as well at 40min and 80 min. I have taken a preference to shot bloks over gels, except I found that are a lot harder to digest at 8 min/miles.

At mile 10 I kicked up my pace another notch. This used to be where my wheels would come off, but not anymore. My pace was now well below my goal pace (7:46, 7:43) When I got to final mile I decided to really kick it in. This started with an uphill segment. I used the other runners slouching and looking tired as motivation. I though about my hill workouts and training in Colorado and said this is where the payoff comes. I started moving past other runners. Pace for mile 13 was 7:30. I felt strong. In the last 1/2 mile or so, a guy behind me yelled up to me "hey what is your pace up there?" I looked at my Garmin and told him 7:18. Just then I looked over and saw Dave, who was cheering us in, and he yelled at me for looking at my watch and to just run it in. I turned back to the guy behind me and said "thanks, now you got me in trouble!" At this point I put the hammer down (last 10th avg 6:38) and crossed the line with a 2.5 minute PR.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Followed the plan perfectly and didn't blow up. That was so not like me.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a bit, stretched out and then enjoyed some nice time with my friends

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No taper.

Event comments:

Hats off to Midwest for making some good adjustments to course to deal with construction. Aid stations seemed well manned and stocked.

My running has made some huge leaps in the last year and so has my attitude. I now expect to PR. It was nice to stick to the plan and get the desired results. The flat course and cool temps also helped for sure. This was a very satisfying race, but it was just a step to the big prize of the year: Lakefront marathon. This race did give me a boost that I just might be able to hit my goals for that race.

Last updated: 2010-08-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:03 | 13.15 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 177/889
Performance: Good
Course: changed because of construction and pretty flat except for a few hills to keep you honest
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-07 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: Lake County Half Marathon

2010-09-07 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3084827

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Subject: RE: Lake County Half Marathon
Great job out there.  Sticking with the plan is always a good idea.  Way to sitck with it.  That is a lot of time to drop for a PR!  Keep it up for the marathon!
2010-09-07 12:30 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Holy carp!! Excellent run Jim!! Congrats.

2010-09-07 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Totally awesome and inspiring run!! I'm so impressed with you and how you (man)handled this race. AWESOME JOB!!!!!

Can't wait to cheer you on during the lakefront mary!!!!!
2010-09-07 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Great plan and nice job sticking to it. You realy crushed that last hill!!! Mighty impressive.

Now, let's do the same thing at Lakefront!
2010-09-07 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Great PR out there Jim......you're one speedy fella!

2010-09-08 11:13 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Phenomenal job Jim!  I'm a tad dissapointed as you and I have perfected the signature move of banking time early to only blow up in epic fashion later in the race, causing a spectacle of nuts and springs and bolts flying off our worn out body parts for all viewers to see.

I will get over it, however, and hope to reliquish the throne myself in Chicago.  Nice work Jim.

2010-09-08 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Great race, Jim. Congrats on a PR. I hope you are looking forward to a good marathon, cuz this race suggests you will have one.

Pay no mind to that Morey guy...plus, I think he's sworn off the epic meltdown mode of racing himself...
2010-09-09 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
London, UK

^^^ Spam on BT? Whatever next.

Great job on the Half Mary even with a Dave in your head. Freaky. Sounds like you finished strong, which bodes well for the Mary.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake County Half Marathon Rss Feed