Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NCAA FOOTBALL PLAYOFF - YOUR SET UP Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-08 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: NCAA FOOTBALL PLAYOFF - YOUR SET UP
So do you have a plan on how to do it.  Here is one I threw together while me and Al were inventing the internet

Playoff theory, rankings still apply but you take the Conference Champion and set the seeds 1 through 16 for Round 2, Round 1 is a play in with 16 teams.

Then via rankings you add in the ones that got bumped that would normally be in anyway.  As an example  Florida and Alabama play for the Conference Championship and Florida gets their a$$ kicked and they get really really beaten bad and hurt and embarrased and act wimpish and cry a lot, quit football and lose their girlfriends to math geeks, you get the point.  So Florida naturally would be a top 12 team anyway (by some BS default) so there is an add back to the playoff for those that did not win their Conference Championship.

Now you have your field set.  The lower teired ranked teams must have a play in with those that were ranked higher but lost their Conference Championship. 

5 (rounds)  weeks.  And don't give me bull about an extended season.  You can have the play in weekend the week before Christmas then the 4 weekends in Jan go through the final games.    We all ready go into Feb now for the final game.  This would in fact raise the stakes and create more interest in a true Champion.

TOTAL 24 teams  (the one's that dont make it still have the Paper Bowl, Bonet Bowl, Tire Bowl, etc)

Round 1 - 16 teams - arelower seeds and those that were ranked high in regular season but lost Con Championships.  Winners to round 2

Round 2 - 16 teams, the winners from Round 1 and the all ready seeded Con Champs top 16 seeded.  Thus again, 16 teams

Then round 3-4-5 play it out down to you have a winner 

There you go,  5 weeks, 1 Champion, not exact but darn better tha Coach Tommy, a computer, and some sports analysts that never threw a football naming a champion.

BCS = BSC  Bull S... Champion

2010-09-08 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3087457

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: NCAA FOOTBALL PLAYOFF - YOUR SET UP

16 teams

11 automatic bids to winner of each conference

Keep the BCS standings and award the 5 remaining spots to the 5 highest ranked that didn't win their conference.

Seed the teams based on BCS rankings.

First round games are at home of highest seed, the week after the conference championship games.  Exception:  If game is between a conference winner and a higher seeded non-conference winner, then the game is at the home of the conference champ.  For example, the CUSA champ would probably not be seeded higher than the SEC runner-up, who would more than likely make the tourney.  The SEC runner up would have to go to the CUSA champ if they were matched up in the first round.

Second round games are in Pasadena, Tempe, New Olreans, and Miami (and call them the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, and Orange Bowls.  Have them start after New Years.  The sites will "draft" the game they want first in rotating order each year.

Semi-finals either at home of highest seed or neutral sites.

Championship game at neutral site.

Edited by sesh 2010-09-08 12:51 PM
2010-09-08 12:49 PM

User image

Regular
I like a 8 team format. You take the 6 champs from the traditional power conferences. I don't care if they play a championship game to determine their champ or not. The you take the two other highest rated non-BCS/Power conference champs for your 7th and 8th teams. You seed them based on some sort of rankings or an average of rankings. You play 3 weeks worth of games and settle it on the field.

I only want conference champs in the playoff. Each team knows right from the start that they have to win the conference to be able to be the champ. The small schools are still at a disadvantage, but they get a chance every year. As a mid-major grad, I always want to look out for the little guy.
2010-09-08 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3087488

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
The downside of only having Conference Champs is that say Alabama could be undefeated and have played well all year the play Florida, Florida have a great game a win the Championship, Alabama gets booted?  I like the fact a strong team still gets to the playoffs thus why I said have a play in weekend.
2010-09-08 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
The frustrating part is that it's so simple, even a caveman could do it.....

The top 8 teams make the BCS playoffs.  You can either keep the BCS rules exactly as they are now, or scrap the league tie ins and just have the computer rankings.  Either way, somebody is going to whine like a baby. 

Add the cotton and peach bowls (whatever sponsor names they have now) to the BCS series.

Opening round, year 1: Cotton, Peach, Fiesta, and Rose bowls: 8 plays 1, 7 plays 2, etc.
2nd round, year 1: Orange and Sugar
3rd round, year 1: BCS championship game, to be played at Fiesta, Rose, Orange, or Sugar bowl site

In year 2, the order of the games changes so that different bowls are in different rounds, much like the championship game rotates now.

Let's look at the ramifications of this setup: 4 teams who previously made bowls now may not make them since the cotton and peach are now being taken "out of rotation" so to speak.  This may cause several hundred football fans to miss the thrilling match up between Northern Akron St and SW Montana Tech in the pets.com bowl.  Also, the CFB season will be "extended" by two weeks, causing the Rhodes scholars at schools like 'Bama and Tx (and yes, even Florida) to miss a few more days of class.  Of course, if you moved the opening round of games up a week, then the season is only extended by a week or so.  Oh the Humanity.

Last year, this scenario would have played out as so:

Round 1:
Bama kills Cincy
Tx beats Iowa
Florida beats TCU
tOSU beats BSU

Round 2:
Bama over tOSU
Florida over Tx

Round 3:
Florida wins the re-match

2010-09-08 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3087592

User image

Regular
hrliles - 2010-09-08 2:24 PM

The downside of only having Conference Champs is that say Alabama could be undefeated and have played well all year the play Florida, Florida have a great game a win the Championship, Alabama gets booted?  I like the fact a strong team still gets to the playoffs thus why I said have a play in weekend.

The only thing I might change would be to force all conferences to have a championship game. There is your play-in game. Yeah it would suck if an undefeated Alabama losing its conference championship game and doesn't get to play in the play-offs, but that's what I would do. You know what you have to do at the start of the season to have a shot at the title, win your conference first or else don't play for the title.

You leave it open to non-conference winners and the mid-majors get locked out again. Like I said as a mid-major alum, I'm always going to give them a shot.

2010-09-08 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Central Mass
12 teams.  seated by season record.

11 conference champions + best independent*

The top 4 seats get first round byes
Single elimination tournament lasts 5 weekends

* right now best independent would be notre dame vs. the winner of the army navy game.  Or Notre dame would have to play both army and navy every year.  next year until byu gets a conference, it gets harder.

Or, they could just scrap every thing and make it a 120 team tournament starting last weekend.  Don't know how to easily make it so that 60 teams play more than 1 game though...

Edited by scorpio516 2010-09-08 4:04 PM
2010-09-08 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3087948

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Im an ECU grad so I want it open to all schools.  There are years when smaller schools can give majors a real run!
2010-09-08 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Fact is, here we have several quick solutions.  This is what drives me crazy about College Football!
2010-09-08 10:41 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
All brought to you by people who can't even stop with the top 64 basketball teams...
2010-09-09 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3088460

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
McFuzz - 2010-09-08 10:41 PM All brought to you by people who can't even stop with the top 64 basketball teams...

Exactly. 

The problem is that NCAA Athletics is a business and the Universities are the "shareholders" while the sponsors are the "customers".   You and I are going to watch anyway, so we don't count all that much.   

Anybody that knows anything about business knows that your two major goals are keep your customers and your shareholders happy (while limiting your costs).  None of these ideas allows for that. 

Good grief, look at the way that some teams react when they don't make the field of 64!  They are talking about making that 96 or even 128.  Why??  Sponsors and TV networks love it because it gets them more "you in front of the TV".  Universities love it because they get more play, more tv time, more ticket sales and revenue from all three of those. 

Let's face it.  On a December evening are you more likely to watch Utah St. vs SW Arizona Tech or Desperate Housewives?  

If you say Desperate Housewives you lose your man card, BTW. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NCAA FOOTBALL PLAYOFF - YOUR SET UP Rss Feed