Human Race
21C / 70F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 39s
Overall Rank = 125/372
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/97
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:30 as the Julie alarm went off. Daddy, daddy, DADDY!!!! Did 10 sun salutations to get the joints loosened and the blood flowing.It was a 13:10 start for this one, so had plenty of time for a good breakfast which was coffee, smoothie, French Toast and a bowl of Müsli. Also had a Torq bar on the way to the venue. Got to the venue and found a nice pick nick and viewing spot for Sandra and the kids and then went to register and get transition set up.
Event warmup:

Had about 20 minutes to do a gentle arm/shoulder/back warmup and also swam a few hundred meters.
Swim
  • 26m 19s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Descent swim given the less than ideal preparation. (First open water swim of the year anyone?) I started in the front row and made my way to the underwater buoy line I remembered from last time I swam in this lake. Found some feet but the guy was too slow, so overtook and was on my own until the first buoy when I caught a group that had taken a less direct line. Splendid. They were just about the right pace and I stayed with them for the next three buoys until it was just me and one other guy left. He was also on to the buoy line approach and I basically stayed on his feet till the exit ramp. Good stuff.
What would you do differently?:

From where I was with my swim fitness and with no open water swims this year I was very pleased with this swim. All I can do is swim more and do more OWS. Simple.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Started running as soon as I hit the swim exit ramp and had the goggles and cap off and the wet suit off to my waist when I got to my racking spot. Quickly got out of the suit and put my bike shoes and helmet on. Ran to the mount point and jumped on but had some trouble clipping one foot in. Don't think it slowed me down too much though.

Not much. I think I'll put the shoes on the bike next season to avoid any clipping in issues. Apart from that this was really good. 9th fastest transition in my age group and given it's only my 3rd ever wet suit swim to bike transition, I'm very pleased with that.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 6s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike. Settled into a nice rythm quickly and felt comfy. Going up the lake was a strong headwind where I averaged 19 mph and the way back was easy at 25 mph. Lots of traffic but never anything I had slow down for. I only had one sketchy moment when someone drifted across the road as I was overtaking them. ON YOUR RIGHT!!!!! sorted that one out. Took a gel on lap 3 and drank a good swig of water every lap.

All I could do was train more. A few longer workouts on the trainer is what's needed if I'm to improve my bike leg.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Took the feet out of the shoes on the bike and did a good dismount. Ran to my spot and racked the bike quite well. Got the socks and shoes on quick and set off WEARING MY FRIGGIN HELMET! At least I noticed straight away and was probably only 10 meters from my spot. Silly donkey. Still managed to have the 14th fastest T2 in my age group.

Take my helmet off before starting the run.
Run
  • 52m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

In my 2 olys so far I have suffered badly running off the bike and this was to be no exception. Felt completely twatted after about 100 meters. Not good. My legs were like lead and I was struggling to breathe, but I persevered as best I could and the breathing settled a little, as I tried to focus on getting it under control. As I got a little more comfy I tried to up the pace, but whenever I did the body went no, to the point where I thought I might barf or pass out or maybe even both. I was feeling proper rough and just had to steady it and take whatever my body would give. I did manage to raise the tempo a little bit on the last lap and nearly keeled over after passing the line. At least I gave it everything.

Not much I could have done on the day. Tried to focus on form as the pace went down the drain and I think that saved me. I clearly HAVE to do some bricks in training as I keep on having BIG issues running off the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to where the family was sitting and did a little stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wait for it.....Lack of training. I thought I was in a better place with the run this year, but I think those 2 weeks holiday 3 weeks before the race messed up the run to some extent. Still. I'm a husband and father first and a triathlete second, so you gotta take what you can. The swim also has some room for improvement, but I'm hoping a solid winter of swimming once a week will help with that.

Event comments:

These organisers are the most experienced in the UK and it shows. Everything ran like clock work and they even had a huge inflatable slide and a Mr. Whippy for the kids.

Last updated: 2010-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:19 | 1500 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/97
Overall: 43/372
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Superfull
Course: Rectangular loop done twice.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:06 | 24.85 miles | 20.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/97
Overall: 124/372
Wind: Strong
Course: Rectangular loop around the rowing lake. 8 laps in total. Not exactly a scenic route but at least your cheer leaders can cheer you on 8 times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:52:31 | 06.21 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 65/97
Overall: 249/372
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back loop along the lake done 4 times. Pancake flat but with a headwind on the out portion and a following wind going back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-13 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
London, UK
Subject: HSBC Triathlon Olympic Distance

2010-09-13 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3094718

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: HSBC Triathlon Olympic Distance
Times look good to me, nice race.

Mr. Whippy?
2010-09-13 10:54 AM

User image

Master
ALSAGER, CHESHIRE. UK

Excellent Jens. Well done. Interesting report too. Whippy's all round?

2010-09-14 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Excellent job, donkey! Way to persevere through the pain on the run. I couldn't do nearly what you did on so little training. Not that I'm saying you're a slacker on the training or anything. Nah, I'd never say that....
2010-09-15 7:24 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Chr15 2010-09-15 7:24 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HSBC Triathlon Olympic Distance Rss Feed