Georgia Multisports
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 16m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/35
Pre-race routine:

"The Usual" - got up early, ate my cereal and tried to stay awake while driving to the race.
Event warmup:

Does waving my arms around while standing on the beach count? I know I should warm-up better, but it's hard to when I know I have a hard race ahead.
Swim
  • 36m 16s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good Lord, will this swim never end. I swear the bouys are moving AWAY from me! Took it steady and tried to keep an even stroke pace, much easier to do with the time trail start. Breathing stayed steady throughout the swim, no gasping. I did not feel slow, yet I'm about 4 minutes off my usual time for this distance. I did hear from others who had done the course before that it was long this year, by about 150-200 meters.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Was going well, good pace running up the slight hill and into T1, until I stepped on the big, sharp rock in transition. Ouch, direct hit to the left heel! Slowed me to a walk. Tried to shake off the pain and just get my shoes on so I could get off my heel and on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Look where I'm going better so I don't step on rocks.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 31s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 17.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Very happy with my pace on the bike for that distance and amount of hills. I haven't been traiming long distances lately, so I was pleased to get done and feel as strong as I did. Averaged 17.3 MPH. Same as IronGirl, which had similar hills, but was shorter.

Train more at distances over 25 miles.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Felt good coming off the bike. Ran all the way in and out of T2. Heel pain (from rock) not too bad.
Run
  • 1h 03m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile was slow, around 12 minutes. I thought to myself I need to pick it up or this is going to take forever. I was able to push the pace for the next few miles and make up the time. I was feeling very strong by miles 5 and 6. Very little walking overall. Only walked the 2 steepest hills, probably totaling 2/10's of a mile at most. The rest was running, with my pace increasing over the whole run.

Major improvement over Turtle Crawl, which was 1:13 and mostly walk with a little run. Contributors to improvement: better fitness thru running in the heat all summer and lower temps at Tug vs Turtle.

Felt very strong at the end, which means I probably should have run the first half of the 10K faster.
Post race
Warm down:

"The usual" - walked over to the food table and loaded up! Sat down to eat and talked to a cute guy. It's good to be a triathlete!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, 30 minute improvement from Turtle to Tug, can't complain about that! Next year's goal: sub 3 hours!

Event comments:

Good selection of food post-race and plenty of places right near the water to sit and eat.

Last updated: 2010-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:16 | 1500 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Out and back loop in the lake
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:31:31 | 26.1 miles | 17.11 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Loop on rolling hills outside the park. A couple of long hills, but mostly rollers. Very little flat.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:27 | 06.21 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Looping course through the park in and out of all the campsite access trails. Pretty constant up and down.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-13 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
Subject: Tugaloo Triathlon

2010-09-14 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3095932

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Triathlon

Nicely done...congrats on a great race....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Triathlon Rss Feed