General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-08-02 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3098185

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
I'm glad Louisville is sold out.  I feel like doing another Ironman!!  For real   I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!

2011-08-02 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3625933

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

Dream Chaser - 2011-08-02 3:54 PM I'm glad Louisville is sold out.  I feel like doing another Ironman!!  For real   I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!

I know exactly how you feel. I'm seriously considering Ironman South Africa right now. The race happens a month after I get out of the Navy so its perfect timing to celebrate a transition in my life and give me a chance to take a vacation. Not to mention the fact that it lets me channel my energy into a strong goal all winter.

2011-08-03 6:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
Wow! I am an Ironman. Does that feeling EVER go away?
2011-08-03 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3625933

Regular
Annapolis, MD

Dream Chaser - 2011-08-02 3:54 PM I'm glad Louisville is sold out.  I feel like doing another Ironman!!  For real   I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!

Cozumel is still open. 

I knew I would want to do another after LP so I planned ahead and signed up for AZ last year.  15 weeks to go.  Let the training begin!

2011-08-03 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3623501

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
blackchr05 - 2011-08-01 10:55 AM

I had a mini disaster, left my bike helmet in the car so T1 was 28.52 :-

Wow.  and you still finished under 12!  You were just giving everyone a headstart, eh?  Great job keeping the composure together and having a really solid day.  glad your knee held up well for a killer run, too.

By the way, i took a quick scan of the enhanced results.  You beat a guy by 1 second to have the longest t1 in the field.  I'd say that's something to brag about, especially since you did so well .

And I actually made the switch from 46ers to Ubu over race weekend.  Took home two growlers which didn't last more than a couple days.  So good.  Cheers.

2011-08-03 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3621986

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
ckunst - 2011-07-30 7:39 PM

All 4 of us - dad, mom, and 2 sons are now Ironmen! 

Chris - 

I'm so happy for you and your family!  I was thinking about you guys out there hoping you were having a good day.  I was elated to see in the results that YOU KILLED IT!  Great job to the whole family.  Sounds like you had some good laughs along the way, too, which really is what matters.

So...what's next?  Everest?

greg

2011-08-03 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3620752

Regular
Crofton, MD
underline;">Question for your vets out there:  Does spending some time focusing on running till I get my marathon time sub 3 hours make sense before returning to IM?  I want to return to IM when I know I can comfortably go sub 11, maybe sub 10:45 (comfortably)  Thoughts on spending the next 6-7 months working almost exclusively on running?  I didn't know if the loss in bike fitness/swim fitness would cost me too much when I decide to return to IM.

My race report will be in the works soon and I am enjoying reading others.  Keep em coming

The stronger you are on the bike, the better your run! I would work harder on the bike during the off season rather than work on the run. Running beats your body up, so you need to be fresh off the bike to hit the run strong. My coach who has worked with many top athletes, thinks that you should never run over 16 miles in your training program because it takes too long to recover. This was my second Ironman, I didn't reach my goal, of going sub 11:30, but I finished. I was injured on the second loop of the swim and could barely walk coming out of the water. So my goals changed during the race, I went from a goal going 530-545 on the bike, to just trying to finish the bike and to get through the run. I ended up finishing in 13:35:08 over an hour a half slower than my first, but with Ironman racing, you are dealt with it so deal with it, and I did! Awesome day to all who completed it.

Oh, by the way, I was correct in my earlier post when I told everyone to prepare for a non-wetsuit legal race. I think i was told that IMLP would be legal and not to worry... well i didn't worry because I was prepared.
2011-08-03 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3626846

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

jborneman3 - 2011-08-03 9:15 AM  Oh, by the way, I was correct in my earlier post when I told everyone to prepare for a non-wetsuit legal race. I think i was told that IMLP would be legal and not to worry... well i didn't worry because I was prepared.

You forgot to ad nyaaa, nyaaa, nyaaa nyaa nyaaa, nyaaa

2011-08-03 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit

jborneman3 - 2011-08-03 8:15 AM
underline;">Question for your vets out there:  Does spending some time focusing on running till I get my marathon time sub 3 hours make sense before returning to IM?  I want to return to IM when I know I can comfortably go sub 11, maybe sub 10:45 (comfortably)  Thoughts on spending the next 6-7 months working almost exclusively on running?  I didn't know if the loss in bike fitness/swim fitness would cost me too much when I decide to return to IM.

My race report will be in the works soon and I am enjoying reading others.  Keep em coming

The stronger you are on the bike, the better your run! I would work harder on the bike during the off season rather than work on the run. Running beats your body up, so you need to be fresh off the bike to hit the run strong. My coach who has worked with many top athletes, thinks that you should never run over 16 miles in your training program because it takes too long to recover. This was my second Ironman, I didn't reach my goal, of going sub 11:30, but I finished. I was injured on the second loop of the swim and could barely walk coming out of the water. So my goals changed during the race, I went from a goal going 530-545 on the bike, to just trying to finish the bike and to get through the run. I ended up finishing in 13:35:08 over an hour a half slower than my first, but with Ironman racing, you are dealt with it so deal with it, and I did! Awesome day to all who completed it. Oh, by the way, I was correct in my earlier post when I told everyone to prepare for a non-wetsuit legal race. I think i was told that IMLP would be legal and not to worry... well i didn't worry because I was prepared.

How were you injured in the swim? I hit someone really hard in that second loop, thought I broke a finger. I was fine but a bit worried about what I hit.

2011-08-03 10:58 AM

jborneman3 - 2011-08-03 9:15 AM

The stronger you are on the bike, the better your run! I would work harder on the bike during the off season rather than work on the run. Running beats your body up, so you need to be fresh off the bike to hit the run strong. My coach who has worked with many top athletes, thinks that you should never run over 16 miles in your training program because it takes too long to recover. This was my second Ironman, I didn't reach my goal, of going sub 11:30, but I finished. I was injured on the second loop of the swim and could barely walk coming out of the water. So my goals changed during the race, I went from a goal going 530-545 on the bike, to just trying to finish the bike and to get through the run. I ended up finishing in 13:35:08 over an hour a half slower than my first, but with Ironman racing, you are dealt with it so deal with it, and I did! Awesome day to all who completed it. Oh, by the way, I was correct in my earlier post when I told everyone to prepare for a non-wetsuit legal race. I think i was told that IMLP would be legal and not to worry... well i didn't worry because I was prepared.

Fully understand the value of being strong on the bike to help w/the run.  I guess my point is this: If I am unable to run a stand-alone sub 3 marathon, I dont think I should ever expect to be able to run a sub 3:30 marathon in IM.  If I continue to build my bike (my natural strength) it will take longer to get my mar. time down.  If I focus more on running for a bit, I think I willl be in a much better position when I return to IM.  Given of course that I come back strong on bike.

Agreed with never going TOO long on the run.  All of my long runs were capped at 2.5 hours and most were done veryy easy.  I never went longer than ~15.5 in training for this race.

Aren't there some strategies to going more one sport specific (cutting back the other 2) to REALLY improve that leg, and then come back to 3 sport when actually in training for the event you want to peak?  Thoughts?

2011-08-03 11:37 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-08-03 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3626778

Regular

Maybe IM should send me a special T1 bag next year that has big red letter "Do not forget you Helmet, Moron".

George, I have a growler of UBU and Moose head in my fridge in NYC.  If you are up this way you can swing by and help my fiancé and I to drink it....   We do not need and hand but happy to share.

Anyone doing the NYC Olympic Tri this w/e?  I got a spot but going to take it easy.  I have never done an Olympic one so it is going to be a new (painful) experience.  IMLP run cap will be worn with pride.  That is the only one that really matters!!!!!!!!

Edited by blackchr05 2011-08-03 12:34 PM
2011-08-03 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3625562

Grant, MI

blackchr05 - How did you get up at 6am for the SN bags?  I left all my stinky stuff in there.  Other than Gui and Cliff bars, the volunteers got a couple nice long valve bike tubes.....

For some reason we were awake at 5:00, even though we hadn't gone to bed until ~ 02:00.  We knew we should try to get some rest, but by 05:30 decided to just get up and go after special needs.  I really felt pretty normal the next day, which is a little disappointing, because I'm afraid it means I left too much out on the course.  But, my GI issues handicapped on how much I could push it.  There did seem to be a lot of loot left in special needs.  I just assumed most people would go and retrieve it.  Otherwise, volunteers who are planning on doing this next year could get a jump on assembling some of their supplies (non-perishable items).  Maybe it should be collected for people who may need to use it next year.   

2011-08-03 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3626785

Grant, MI

gergzos - I'm so happy for you and your family!  I was thinking about you guys out there hoping you were having a good day.  I was elated to see in the results that YOU KILLED IT!  Great job to the whole family.  Sounds like you had some good laughs along the way, too, which really is what matters.

So...what's next?  Everest? 

I will admit it was a great experience doing this with 2 of our sons.  It all started back when one of our kids made some kind of comment about our age.  I then challenged them to join us in the River Bank Run, (a 25K run held every May in Grand Rapids) and then tell us how old and decrepit we were getting.  2 of our sons and a son-in-law did join us and I'm happy to report that I could take stairs better the next day than they could. I don't think we'll do Everest (too cold) but we are talking about trying a couple more IM in the future. We have climbed Half Dome (Yosemite) with these 2 sons.  After we reached the top, my oldest son said, "Look around, mom and dad.  You're the only 2 old people up here." 

We have definitely laughed about some of the experiences my husband, Tom, had during this IM.  First of all, I was very proud of him for deciding to keep training and go for it, with the knee problems he was having.  A sports med doc injected some fake cushioning into his knees, where there used to be cartilage, but his knees have not really been that well.  He decided that he would just take it conservatively, walk most of the marathon, in an effort to get his knees to last through the whole thing, which is what he did.  Of course, doing it this way really slowed him down.  That's why some of his experiences became even more funny to us. 

• On the 2nd loop of the bike, the volunteers failed to direct him on a turn, so he followed 2 non-IM bikers, and went the wrong way.
  • He also got a drafting penalty on the 2nd loop, while going up a hill.  He had just passed 1 rider and was gaining on another, but not passing, when they called his # out.  He couldn't believe it.  He had not wanted to slow down going up a hill, esp. after just passing a rider.
  • Then at the Inspiration station on the run, the message came up missing half, so all he saw was "#2859-Thomas - QUIT!"  He figured it was one of our sons trying to be funny. 

I was a little concerned that maybe I hadn't trained enough.  Esp. as there were days that I was babysitting grandkids when I was supposed to be training.  I remember thinking as I carried them up a hill in our front yard and feeling my heart pound, that I shouldn't be so affected by this if I'm going to be an Ironman and wondering if this could count as some kind of training.  Now I think I may have found another good training strategy- carrying weights uphill.

You did awesome  - 11:49  Congratulations on a job well done!  Are there any other IM in your future?  Maybe some day you can make it a family affair too.  We highly recommend it.
2011-08-03 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3627898

Veteran
ckunst - 2011-08-03 6:14 PM

Then at the Inspiration station on the run, the message came up missing half, so all he saw was "#2859-Thomas - QUIT!"  He figured it was one of our sons trying to be funny. 

Haha! Was that one of your sons? If so I think that's hilarious! If not, wow!

2011-08-03 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3627383

blackchr05 - 2011-08-03 12:29 PM

Maybe IM should send me a special T1 bag next year that has big red letter "Do not forget you Helmet, Moron".

George, I have a growler of UBU and Moose head in my fridge in NYC.  If you are up this way you can swing by and help my fiancé and I to drink it....   We do not need and hand but happy to share.

Anyone doing the NYC Olympic Tri this w/e?  I got a spot but going to take it easy.  I have never done an Olympic one so it is going to be a new (painful) experience.  IMLP run cap will be worn with pride.  That is the only one that really matters!!!!!!!!

Hey Chris, just amazing finish you had with your T1 problem and knee issues!  It was my big dream to volunteer this weekend at NYC tri (would have been great to cheer on the others and this was my first tri so sentimental) but I have to work.... if I crane my neck  out the hospital window I think I might be able to spy the bikers on the west side highway! Smile kate

2011-08-03 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3627805

Veteran
Boston
ckunst - 2011-08-03 5:12 PM

blackchr05 - How did you get up at 6am for the SN bags?  I left all my stinky stuff in there.  Other than Gui and Cliff bars, the volunteers got a couple nice long valve bike tubes.....

For some reason we were awake at 5:00, even though we hadn't gone to bed until ~ 02:00.  We knew we should try to get some rest, but by 05:30 decided to just get up and go after special needs.  I really felt pretty normal the next day, which is a little disappointing, because I'm afraid it means I left too much out on the course.  But, my GI issues handicapped on how much I could push it.  There did seem to be a lot of loot left in special needs.  I just assumed most people would go and retrieve it.  Otherwise, volunteers who are planning on doing this next year could get a jump on assembling some of their supplies (non-perishable items).  Maybe it should be collected for people who may need to use it next year.   

Glad nobody touched the bags before noon!  I had a few things in there I wanted to retrieve and ended up going after breakfast to get them (empty water bottles, spare socks, and the notes my kids left in the run bag).  That afternoon I bet there was a nice array of Gu, gels, spare tubes and more...  It would be like the Triathlon version of Sanford and Son out there...

2011-08-03 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3628043

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
mogulbumm - 2011-08-03 7:37 PM
ckunst - 2011-08-03 5:12 PM

Glad nobody touched the bags before noon!  I had a few things in there I wanted to retrieve and ended up going after breakfast to get them (empty water bottles, spare socks, and the notes my kids left in the run bag).  That afternoon I bet there was a nice array of Gu, gels, spare tubes and more...  It would be like the Triathlon version of Sanford and Son out there...

I went to the volunteer dinner on Monday evening and I can say there wasn't much left for transition bags.  This was my first time volunteering so I was suprised to see a small pile of unclaimed stuff from the race.  There were more flip flops in that pile then I have ever seen at a shoe store.  most of the stuff that I saw was a bunch of gu, some goggles, and I saw 2 wet suits (unfortunately no names were on them).  I didn't feel comfortable going through the stuff but a bunch of people did. 

2011-08-03 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3628018

Grant, MI
RJohnson1979 - Haha! Was that one of your sons? If so I think that's hilarious! If not, wow!

Actually, I wrote the message, "NEVER QUIT" for him, thinking of Winston Churchill.  For some reason, when they posted it, the word "NEVER" was left out.  At first I was disappointed in the mistake, but we've had some good laughs and Tom said it had the opposite effect on him - he was going to show them - so it turned out OK. 
2011-08-04 9:13 PM

Veteran
Canton, CT
New to this. First full IM will be at LP 2012. Did Cuse 70.3 last year and many Oly's. Did Burlington marathon 2011 and feel plenty of cofindence to complete LPIM 2012 around 13 hrs. Not blazing but should be okay for 45 yr old. I am really wondering if I was lucky to get a slot. I didn't volunteer at all but simply went online right at 12:00 on Monday after the 2011 race and got a slot. Is this normal? Lots of people saying they had to volunteer. I won't run in 2013 but will come back to volunteer.
2011-08-05 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3627013

Regular
Crofton, MD
Detroit Dan - 2011-08-03 9:38 AM

jborneman3 - 2011-08-03 8:15 AM

How were you injured in the swim? I hit someone really hard in that second loop, thought I broke a finger. I was fine but a bit worried about what I hit.

Detroit Dan,

I was cruzin right along, I had a great drafting partner, got out of the water in in 35 on the 1st loop, then I jumped back in and i found another good drafting partner and we were about to hit the turn buoy and a person swam right in to both of us and stopped, after being horizontal for 50 mins I went vertical too fast and my right calf cramped to the point that I thought I had torn it... I slowed in the water to a crawl and when I got out to run to T1, i could barely put pressure on it, then it loosened up on the first loop of the bike but then it began to tighten and become painful around mile 90 on the bike...

2011-08-05 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3629833

Regular

Major BC

Welcome - 50 weeks to go right?  Let the countdown begin.  I think in previous years you may have been less likely to get a spot by rolling up at 12 - but the NY (read NJ) IM and the additional Canada one probably made IMLP 2012 less in demand - but still sold out i believe.

IMLP 2011 was my first and i`ll be backf or some more fun in 2012 - you have done the right thing, i promise you.

2011-08-05 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3630591

blackchr05 - 2011-08-05 12:18 PM

Major BC

Welcome - 50 weeks to go right?  Let the countdown begin.  I think in previous years you may have been less likely to get a spot by rolling up at 12 - but the NY (read NJ) IM and the additional Canada one probably made IMLP 2012 less in demand - but still sold out i believe.

IMLP 2011 was my first and i`ll be backf or some more fun in 2012 - you have done the right thing, i promise you.

X2.  It took the full day for LP to sell out; whereas the year before it took around 13 minutes.  But, yeah, with two more northeastern Ironman events withing 8-10 hours drive of one another, making a total of 3 Ironmans in the same vicinity during the same time period, it made it easier to get into LP.  By volunteering you basically guarantee you get in; and it's good karma.  
2011-08-05 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3630610

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Dream Chaser - 2011-08-05 12:25 PM

X2.  It took the full day for LP to sell out; whereas the year before it took around 13 minutes.  But, yeah, with two more northeastern Ironman events withing 8-10 hours drive of one another, making a total of 3 Ironmans in the same vicinity during the same time period, it made it easier to get into LP.  By volunteering you basically guarantee you get in; and it's good karma.  

As a local triathlete, I volunteer every year anyway. The part *I* minded was getting up at 5:30 after not getting to bed until 1 a.m. the night before (I always cheer the last finisher in). I wish I had known - I could have slept in and just signed up online. *G*

Anyway, yes, let the countdown to IMLP12 begin! Huzzah!

2011-08-05 5:17 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112