Revolution3
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 37m 51s
Overall Rank = 166/484
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 36/89
Pre-race routine:

I stayed at my parents place in Marblehead, about 30 minutes away from the park. I stopped and picked up my race packet on Friday on the way to their place. Saturday dropped my bike off right around 11 and then just went back to the house to watch football and relax.

Sunday morning I got up at 5:30, took a quick shower to feel good and got dressed. Went down made myself some toast with peanut butter and had drank some water. I was in the car by 6:15 to head over to CP. Got there around 6:45 and was getting pretty nervous, this was my first half and it was really starting to hit me. I talked to my wife and she said I had nothing to worry about because I was ready for it. That helped calm the nerves.

Went to set up transition. Rev 3 has a good racking system and I felt there was plenty of room for our stuff. Got all of my gear ready to go and the only real set back happened here. I went to turn on my 305 and nothing happened. I had it on the charger all night to make sure it would be all set for the 6 or so hours I needed, but nothing. Looks like I was going to be racing blind, oh well, things happen. My wife reassured me here again that things would be fine. I wished I threw my other little watch in the bag so at least I would have no my times, but oh well.

At about 7:20 or so I put my wetsuit on and headed down to the water. I was very happy to see that it was much calmer than what ti looked like Friday and Saturday. Perfect water for the swim.
Event warmup:

I walked over to the half start area and saw some of the full participants coming through. Then I got in the water and swam around a little bit. Water felt good and it was somewhat calming too.
Swim
  • 34m 20s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

The half had wave starts. I was in the first wave, men 30-39, a good sized group. I should have gotten myself up to the front of the group, I am always shy at the start of any race and this is a recurring theme for me. That and my poor sighting might have cost me a position or two on the swim, but I am definitely happy with my top 10% in both AG and overall on the swim.

Swimming is definitely my strongest discipline. I've been swimming since about age 5, but probably had a good 15 years off from any regular lap swimming. I guess its similar to riding a bike though, it comes right back to you. The first leg out from the beach, my sighting was terrible, I kept veering off to the left away from the course. A lifeguard had to get me back on course once. I swam a very wide route out away from the buoys. I do like to be out of the washing machine, but I need to not add extra meters to the swim like I did Sunday. I rounded the buoy and was a third of the way done with the swim.

This section parallel with the beach was pretty good. It was probably the shortest section. Again I had a little trouble navigating and found myself headed out to the middle of the lake a couple of times. I was starting to catch people from the full but pretty much found myself in open waters. That next turn buoy came up pretty quick and then we were on to the home stretch.

This third leg I was able to let the guy to my right do the sighting. I swam with him for probably have of the way in. Every time I took a breath from the right side I made sure he was about the same distance to my right as before and corrected if needed. This really helped me out. He started to slip behind me, but I was able to pick up others as I was moving up the field.

Very happy with my swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not start in the very back of the group. I usually make this mistake and just can't seem to move myself to the front. I need to learn how to swim straighter. Improving my swim isn't a high priority for me though. All a fast swim means is more people will pass me on the bike
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

First race with wetsuit, had no issues getting out of it. Went sockless for the ride so I just had to get shoes on, strap helmet, grab sunglasses and cliff bars. I was good to go.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 59m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.74 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the worst of my disciplines. I need more time in the saddle, plain and simple. I just don't have the cycling down yet. I was hoping for 3 hours and just got there. I was so ready for the bike to be over when we turned up the road back to the park. There was really nothing good or bad about it, I was just done.

The course started with a flat ride through the parking lot out of the park. It was about a 8 mile ride until we got out to the main loop, on the return we rode on this section to get back into the park. Nothing special here, it was flat, there were a couple of spots that were wide open and the wind just whipped across the bay at you. Pretty much once we got out of the park I was on roads that I had previously ridden. I am very glad I was able to ride most of the course on the CTC training days. Knowing where I was going and what to expect really helped me through.

It took me a good 15 miles or so to really feel good on the bike not really sure why, but once I hit that point riding felt pretty effortless for a while. This feeling lasted until about mile 45 or so. I don't know if it was knowing that I still had a half marathon in front of me or what, but I really just didn't want to be on the bike anymore.

After putting a few more miles down, I was back on the road into the park. I was on the home stretch of the bike and that lifted my spirits. I did my best to try to hold off any people behind me on the road in, but still got passed a couple of times.

Glad that was over

More training time. I let my cycling time really slip towards the end of my training and it showed in my results. I need to get a trainer for the winter and put the hours in.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Good transition here. Put socks on for the run and I was off.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 59m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a plan going in that I would start the first mile at a 9 minute pace, since my Garmin didn't cooperate with me in the morning I was just going to have to wing it. I think I got into a pretty good rhythm and felt really good. At the first aid station I made the decision that I was going to run as many as I could because I felt if I allowed myself to walk I might not get back into the running groove again. This was a very good decision, I had no problems drinking and running.

The second aid station I decided I need a bathroom break. When I finished, I thought that might have been a bad idea because I lost my running stride. It actually turned out to be one of my better decisions of the day. Shortly after coming out of the aid station I caught up with another runner and we paced each other until we got back to the causeway. Andy, my new running partner, chatted and kept each other motivated for the next 8 or so miles.

At about mile 4 the pro leader passed us. I need to figure out what time that was so I can try to go back on the video and see us out there. I'm sure the motorcycle cam got a great shot of us. As the miles passed so did more of the pros, they are all amazing it is pretty cool that we are all out there together. I was able to maintain running through the aid stations for the first 8 miles. I finally had to break down at about the 9 mile aid station, I walked this one got some water and some pepsi (I'm really a coke guy, but you take what you can get). Andy made it out of the aid station before me and looked back for me. He yelled back for me to pick it up. It was much needed and appreciated.

The next few miles went by pretty good, we walked the aid stations and talked about the race. When we got back on the causeway, Andy told me to go ahead if I needed to. I felt bad that he helped me through those 8 miles and then I was going to take off. He assured me it was all good and we parted ways.

I did pick up the pace for the final couple of miles. I felt like I finished strong. At the final aid station they finally had the Browns game on so I got an update, at that point they were up 7 - 3, too bad they lost. That gave me a little pick me up. When I got into the parking lot I made a decision that no one was catching me. I didn't realize how far into the park the finish line was and had to battle to keep one guy at bay. Finally the finish line came into view and I was done.

Nothing, I think I did what I could on the run. This is more of a reflection of my bike than my run. If I get my bike up, my run will follow.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and met up with the family. Tried to eat but didn't really have much of an appetite. Hung out with family and friends at the park a little bit then headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bike, or rather lack there of, skills. I really need to put more T.I.T.S.

Event comments:

Great race for a first event. Great event for my first HIM. I really enjoyed everything about the race.

I also need to give a huge thanks to Andy, that's what you introduced yourself as but I think your race number was 797 and name was David on the REV 3 materials. You really made the difference in making my run a good one. I hope it was a two way street.

Hope everyone else out there had a great day. My goals for each leg were 35 minutes, 3 hours and 2 hours and I nailed them all.

Last updated: 2010-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:20 | 2000 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/89
Overall: 41/484
Performance: Good
Suit: Exterra Vortex 3
Course: U shaped course, pretty much equal distance segement, .4 miles out, over and in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:59:15 | 56 miles | 18.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 56/89
Overall: 269/484
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty flat, simple loop through the fields of the surrounding communities.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:59:31 | 13.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/89
Overall: 179/484
Course: Flat course out the CP causeway and into the city of Sandusky. Ran through the city a little and then back into CP.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-09-14 7:12 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Revolution3 Half Ironman

2010-09-15 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3098810

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Half Ironman
Congraulations! Awesome race! You had a great finish time, and a superb run.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments on my race report.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Half Ironman Rss Feed