Dallas Athletes
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 10/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 10 minutes before my alarm clock (as usual). Ate bowl of oatmeal with flax seed, wheat germ and bread with peanut butter, 32 oz of water. Put body glide under arms and legs.
Event warmup:

Set-up transition, went for short run due to heat and then went out to swim the course in Z1.
Swim
  • 6h 11m
  • 500 yards
  • 1h 14m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started on the beach running into the water. The first 50m was shallow and hard to run but I started on the inside towards the front and could set my pace. The first 200m were ok except I had a hard time catching my breath after running into the water. The chop from boat traffic was more than I expected but not as bad a normal waves since the boat waves were further apart and more rolling. Easier to get into a rhythm. I put some time on my group after rounding the first buoy and drafted behind a large faster swimmer. I finally got my breath and rythym as I rounded the last buoy for the finish. 500m is too short but fast.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe take another short run right before the swim start to get breath and heart rate up?
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

T1 was good and close to the swim exit. I had a slight problem getting into my shoes on the bike with the uphill start to the bike as 3-4 people past me. I remembered their numbers:)

Get into shoes faster.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 12s
  • 19 miles
  • 18.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to push the pace but found my heart rate higher than usual on the bike segment. Not sure if the disc wheel helped or hurt on this course with the amount of cornering and uphills. However, it felt great on the downhill portion as I reached 35mph. 18.9mph average on this course was ok, I could have pushed to 20mph but needed to protect my healing quad on my first real test in recovery.

Push alittle harder on the downhills. Ride a bigger gear on the straights.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I almost fell over putting on my shoes but caught myself before falling. My quad started hurting almost as soon as I left transition and started the uphill run.

Not sure, maybe a quick quad stretch in T2
Run
  • 32h 39m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10h 29m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Quad was hurting and the heat and humidity effected me more than usual. I still am a lousy runner so the 10:32 pace was not what I wanted. I need to get my pace off the bike down below 10:00 to be happy.

Drop another 15 lbs.
Post race
Warm down:

Hard to warm down with the heat and humidity and no shade so I jumped back in the lake and floated for about 30 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Quad injury, heat and humidity.

Event comments:

This was the first year for the Disco Sprint Triathlon and the Dallas Athletes did a good job with the course, support and organization of the race. I would like to see more tents for shade post race and maybe disco music along the run course. Overall, I would do this race again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
06:11:00 | 500 yards | 1h 14m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: No wet suit
Course: Course was triangular swimming clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:00:12 | 19 miles | 18.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/23
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling hills and some long steady uphills. This course was harder than I expected for Grapevine but it had a nice mix of slow uphills, small challenging hills and nice steady downhill segments. Going slightly uphill to a 180 degree turn around was nice (when going downhill) and a heart break when climbing to the turn around.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
32:39:00 | 03.11 miles | 10h 29m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/23
Performance: Below average
The heat started to effect me more than usual. I had just drove in from 10 days in Colorado on vacation and the heat and humidity got me on the run. Where were those additional red blood cells?
Course: Started uphill on the road heading to a nicely shadded paved trail through the park. This was a great paved trail run on an out and back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-25 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Disco Triathlon

2005-07-25 3:09 PM
in reply to: #206293

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon
Congrats on your race! I was there too and our finishing times were the same. I thought the bike course was a lot of fun--looks like you had a great ride.
2005-08-08 5:14 PM
in reply to: #206293

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon
Thanks! It was a fun bike course. I didn't feel good on the bike as I have been recovering from a quad injury but I liked the course alot.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon Rss Feed