View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Total Time = 09m 45s
Overall Rank = 42/247
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Bowl of frosted mini wheats. Picked up packed, number, etc around 9:20 and 5k race started at 9:45 (10k had an earlier start time of 8:30). It was a little cool out so I was glad I didn't have to stand around for too long. Pinned on my number, jogged/walked over to the start.
Event warmup:

Nadda!
Run
  • 25m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Bolder Options is a youth mentoring program in Minneapolis and St Paul. It pairs at risk youth with an adult mentor for one year. It is slightly different than other mentoring programs because its activity based. The youth and mentor do homework together, volunteer and set goals, but they also train and run three 5ks together or do three long bike rides (20 miles or more). Four years ago I was a mentor and had the pleasure of working with a 12 year old girl for one year. I have always wanted to do this race but I've either been injured or busy or out of town. I decided that being 6.5 months pregnant this year wasn't going to stop me! I've been blessed and able to run a decent amount throughout my pregnancy. However, there are days where my legs just don't have it and its a real struggle. I didn't have any idea what today would bring but I was pleasantly surprised. My legs felt good. First mile flew by in a little under 8:20, second mile was a little slower 8:30 pace or so and the last mile was a little above 8. It was great to see all the new and old mentors and all the youth of course. Well run event, fun, good cause, and the starting line is only 1 mile from my house. Next year I'll likely do it again but not be pregnant :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! This went as well as I could have hoped for a 5k race in my third trimester!
Post race

Last updated: 2010-09-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:31 | 03.11 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/247
Performance:
Course: One lap around Lake Nokomis.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: