Final Stretch Inc
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 39m 28s
Overall Rank = 86/133
Age Group = F 40-49
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

PB bagel. Coffee. Water. The usual. Jeremy's parents are in town, so we took their car. I waited inside until they packed my bike in the car.

Because of the massive flooding on Thursday, we had a couple of options to actually get to the race site. I was hoping not to have to deal with a detour and we got lucky.
Event warmup:

Cold wet race morning. Lovely. I don't run well in this kind of weather, so I was pretty unhappy about it. Not much I could do but make sure I had proper clothes and just deal with it.

I took the bike out for about 5 min to check that everything was working and I had my gears right. Wow, it was cold. I decided to keep my tights and gloves for the first run and bike, then re-evaluate. Maybe that would be enough.
Run
  • 18m 33s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I've been having trouble with sore piriformus on both sides for quite a while and of course that started up within the first half mile. Nice. I just kept a steady quick (for me) pace and tried to ignore my aching azz. Ended up faster than expected. Guess those track workouts are paying off.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I think I started out a little fast, but since this is such a short run, it wasn't a tragedy.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Pretty slow. I couldn't get my glove back on since my hands were wet, so I had to go out on the bike without gloves.

Don't do races where gloves are necessary.
Bike
  • 47m 36s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Yay for the bike! The good thing about being a slow runner is passing all of those people back on the bike. And I passed a lot. NO one got past me for the whole ride. One girl and one guy thought they would stay in front of me, but they didn't.

The course is pretty flat, but not fast due to several turns and bad pavement. We started on the bike path for about a half mile which includes a slickassnot wooden bridge. Not the place to try to be a hero. After we got onto the roads, it was go time.

Kind of a normal bike ride for me. Stayed aero in the big ring and just caught as many people as I could. I was caught a little off guard when I remembered that this was a short bike leg and I needed to eat my gel around mile 8.

Could I have gone a bit harder? The eternal question.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Did not leave the shoes on the bike because of pavement and wet. Cold fingers make it kind of tough to tie running shoes.

See T1- Don't race in the cold.
Run
  • 29m 48s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I hadn't even gotten out of T2 when my butt started to hurt. Lovely. I had grabbed my mp3, so I just turned up the music to drown out the pain. The usual herd of people passed me and then I was by myself. I kept my eye on a girl up ahead who seemed like she was going my pace or slower. She was my carrot and I made it a mission to catch her. I finally got her around the 2 mile mark. I stepped up the pace to be sure I had left her and also passed a guy. Then with a half mile to go, I cranked the music and focused on running as hard as I could. For me, that also means singing along to the music which makes me look rather "special". Some odd looks by the two guys that passed me, but who cares. I ran the last mile in about 9 min to finish sub 30.

Not a thing. My goal for this run was to push hard enough to want to fall over at the end. Accomplished.
Post race
Warm down:

I saw Jan at the finish and staggered over to her. We went to the 8.5m run finish to try to find Jeremy. Too bad we missed him finish. I figured that he would be done before I was.

Sadly, I forgot to bring clean dry clothes for after the race. Standing around in my wet stinky outfit was not good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The temps were certainly a factor in today's race. I'm sure that I could have been faster with an extra 30 degrees. Still pretty happy with my placing though, esp the bike split.

Event comments:

15/43 female (7th best bike female)

Last updated: 2010-08-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:33 | 02 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 111/133
Performance: Good
Avg HR- 171 Max HR- 188 (that seems kind of high)
Course: Due to flooding, the loop on the first run was changed. Otherwise it would have been a swim, which would have been fine with me. Anyway it was now an out and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:57
Overall: Below average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:47:36 | 14 miles | 17.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 58/133
Avg HR- 163 Max HR- 170 7/44 female bike
Wind: Little
Course: Around the lake with a short out and back section. There were a few sections where the water was really close and had been over the road. Wet roads and rough pavement. Not a fast course on a dry day; really not fast with mud, debris and water on the road.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:48 | 03 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 104/133
Avg HR- 165 Max HR- 177
Course: Out and back with a loop.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-26 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Cannon-Wells Duathlon

2010-09-26 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3118073

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: Cannon-Wells Duathlon
Other Tri-Rochester results:
- Mario Minelli- 1st place overall
- Rachel Vaubel, 2nd ...AG 25-29 w/ fastest Run 1 & Run 2 in that AG
- Katharina Hopp, 3rd AG 25-29 - IN HER FIRST DUATHLON EVER
- Todd Aguilar, 3rd AG 40-44
- Andy Galbus, 4th AG 40-44
- Jeremy Ekman who did the 8.5 mile run placing 4th overall, 2nd AG 30-39
2010-09-26 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3118077

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cannon-Wells Duathlon

Awesome race!  I wondered if the flooding affected you, the race, etc.  Glad to hear you were able to do this.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cannon-Wells Duathlon Rss Feed