Oklahoma Redman Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 54m 9s
Overall Rank = 12/333
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/38
Pre-race routine:

Drove up Friday mid-day. Packet pickup and bike checkin. Lunch with NSR anad NTEX Masters at Macaroni Grill at 4:30p, then back to hotel. Snacked on Gatorade and pretzels throughout evening.

Woke up at 4:15 and got ready. Oatmeal, bagel, and a little Gatorade for breakfast. Pulled into parking just ahead of Dave Young and Tood.
Event warmup:

Nothing really, unless you count the walk from the parking area to the race site (1/2 mile or so). There really wasn't a shuttle to take us there.
Swim
  • 34m 17s
  • 2090 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

At the time, it felt like just an OK swim. However, results show I was doing better than I thought! Didn't draft well; couldn't seem to find decent feet to follow. Occasionally a little outside the direct line; however, fairly straight overall.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. Suit stuck on heels a bit, despite plenty of Body Glide. Got into sock and shoes well, food into pockets, and out of transition. Got onto bike well, but took a couple tries to get actually clipped in.
AG: 9th
OA: 43rd
Bike
  • 2h 39m 54s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off pushing a bit. Caught Dennis w/i a couple of miles and realized I should probably back down a bit. Still stayed pretty steady the first half. Started getting passed more during the second half - the later waves were catching up. Never felt like I was taking it easy, but wanted to ensure I didn't blow up before the run, either. Push a bit more the last 4 or 5 miles.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on my bike power this winter; push a bit more on the bike. Was getting a little uncomfortable staying aero; need some stretching/yoga and/or maybe new elbow pads.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Good dismount and run through transition. Helmet off while running. Glasses fell when I had to lift the bike over the curb, but I was able to grab them quickly. Shoes on and grabbed hat and number to put on while exiting. Photographer at run out caught me fumbling to get it all put on.

AG: 1st
OA: 2nd

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 37m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Decided first loop was going to be a warm-up. Started off a little faster than intended, but HR was OK. Focused on keeping it steady and in control. Started picking off the runners ahead of me.

Started picking it up a bit in the second half, but backed down a bit when HR/breathing got too high to control. Ramped up a bit the last three miles, and kicked the last half-mile for a strong finish.

Overall, it was a steady, negative-split run, and better than I'd hoped given recent training, so I'm happy overall.
Saw Gerald several times - by his second loop, he was pushing hard

Probably should have ramped up just a little bit earlier and sacrificed a little of the final kick for a slightly faster pace during the last couple miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, Gatorade, and chocolate mile in the finisher tent. Waited for Gerald to recover, then we walked over to the massage tent. (They were great!) Back to finisher's tent for another drink. Waited for him to recover, then walked him over to the massage tent.

Other than the massage, I kept moving and didn't really sit down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hesitence to push the bike harder b/c recent mid-day running hasn't gone well for me and I wanted not to blow up on the run.

Event comments:

Excellent, well-organized, well-executed, and non-pretentious race. Was great to be out there alongside the full IM racers, though I'm glad I wasn't doing the full IM. (Don't know if I could mentally handle 4 loop bike and 4 loop run courses.)

Police and volunteers at every intersection and business driveway on the route, so I felt very safe. Covered bleachers for the spectators at the finishing line was a nice consideration. Expo was pittance compared to IM-branded events, but that was fine with me - the RedMan gear they had was nice, and I'd rather have an affordable race than the branded one.

Temporary tatoos for body marking was very cool. Finisher shirts were nice. Food and drinks afterwards included a nice variety of snacks (pretzals, cookies, candy, granola bars, peanuts), fuits (oranges, grapes), PB&J sandwiches, and drinks (water, Gatorade, various sodas, chocolate milk, EAS MyoPlex).

Last updated: 2010-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:17 | 2090 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/38
Overall: 30/333
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra full
Course: Counterclock-wise rectangle in Lake Heffner. Calm, flat. Lake levels were low, and it was actually shallow enough to walk much of the outbound leg. (Saw quite a few doing that on the IM wave; not as many in our wave.)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:39:54 | 56 miles | 21.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/38
Overall: 41/333
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Two laps, out-and-back. Mix of urban and country roads. Majority smooth, but mile of two of rough section. A little hillier than I expected. Some smaller rollers - not that tall or long - I just wasn't expecting any.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:37:14 | 13.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/38
Overall: 11/333
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops, out and back. Winding, but unshaded, trail along the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-26 5:42 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: Redman Triathlon - Half Redman

2010-09-28 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3118408

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Redman Triathlon - Half Redman
Congrats.  Very nice race.  Awesome run. 
2010-09-28 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3118408

User image

Regular
OKC
Subject: RE: Redman Triathlon - Half Redman

Well done out there!  I totally agree on the atmosphere of the race.  Great staff and volunteers. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Redman Triathlon - Half Redman Rss Feed