United States
Premier Event Management
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 40m 39s
Overall Rank = 1326/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This race report is kinda hard to write, I wish I could encapsulate all of the emotions I felt during the day but I am not sure it is possible. To say this day was epic is an understatement.

The day was 9 months coming, I got the race entry as a Christmas present from Scottie last year, I was excited but 9 months seemed SO far away. I competed in my first HIM in May with decent results, but at least I knew I could do the distance. I spent the summer working specifically on the bike. I cycled 3 days a week and mostly with groups of guys that were always much faster. I was constantly discouraged by always ending up the last one in the group, the one everyone was waiting for. But near the end of the summer, I started getting better. I could feel I was stronger, I was comfortable on my bike and I knew how to handle hills. I did lots of long rides, a 60 miler and an unexpected 70 miler, both of which helped me mentally in this race. Oh and did I mention the heat I trained in? This summer was particularly brutal heat and humidity wise. I was prepared for (almost) any kind of weather that this weekend would bring.

The week leading up to the race was sorta stressful. I had some issues with a dog sitter so my mind was not on the race but more on the logistics of the dogs being taken care of, then there is the whole packing for a trip and making sure we brought all of our gear and nutrition, then my birthday was Friday which meant lots of junk food!

We were up early on Saturday to meet our friend Alan and drive to Georgia. Thanks to the open roads and a radar detector we made incredible time. We parked and checked into the Ramada. Now a word to those doing this next year...try your hardest to get into the Marriott because the Ramada is not one of the better hotels I have stayed in. It's old, right next to the train tracks and a handful of strip clubs which may suit some but I wasn't thrilled. I will say the people were pretty nice, even if I was back and forth with the front desk lady on the phone after we had checked out and they lost the copy of Scottie's credit card...they hand enter credit cards wtf!

Once we dropped our stuff in our room we walked to the Marriott to get our packets. The line was long as expected but moved fast. Lots of different tables and lots of extra steps, like a medical waiver form and the whole wristband thing. Once we all got our required parts we wandered through the 'expo" that I was kinda disappointed with. I really expected more in terms of vendors and free stuff. We got a Gatorade water bottle that’s it! Not even a free gel? Weird. I bought a Headsweats visor then we went to grab lunch at Mellow Mushroom before dropping off our bikes.

Transition was huge as expected but I had a great spot! Just near the swim exit, 5 rows up and on the first rack. I left Lucy and found the guys for our swim. At this point it was really hot out and I was in no mood to fiddle with the wetsuit so I decided to swim in just my 2 piece Nike swim suit. The water was brisk but it felt great! I figured if I could swim in just a suit the wetsuit would be amazing! We met some people from Texas and chatted with them about the full IM races they had done...yet again another person recommending CA over FL...oh well. After swimming around Alan and I jogged back while Scottie enjoyed the stroll :)

Once showered we met up again for dinner, the choices were limited as we didn't want to chance it with burritos for dinner so we went to the Pizza Joint for dinner...yep pizza again...oh well. We were all pretty tired so we called it a night. Once in the room Scottie and I filled bottles and I used my Mom's trashcan trick in which you fill it with ice and use that as a make shift fridge. Seemed to work well. I slept surprisingly well...I got about 5 hours or so and it was solid sleep, very unlike the 2 hours of sleep I got before White Lake!

The first alarm went off at 4:30am, I laid there for a bit because the room was so frigid but then jumped into action when I realized all I had to do! Ok it wasn't that much but I wanted to eat and get the first bathroom break done before we left. 1 cup of double strength hotel coffee and oatmeal with almond butter was breakfast and I filled up a water bottle which I sipped on all morning. We then met up with Alan and decided to walk to transition instead of wait for a shuttle from the Marriott. Once in transition we gave ourselves 30 minutes to get set up then meet for the shuttle to the swim start. As I was setting up it starts to sprinkle. We had watched the weather reports all day and it was the first thing we looked at in the morning, we knew we were going to get wet it's just a matter of how wet. I had grabbed two dry cleaning bags from the hotel and decided to set things up IM style, bike stuff in one bag and run stuff in another then I put my transition bag in a garbage back to try to reduce how soaked everything got. This may have been one of my more brilliant moves.

I quadruple checked everything, I was paranoid I would forget something. I wanted to make sure I had enough nutrition, had all my socks, had every last thing. Then I just had to walk away or I would make myself crazy. I met up with the guys and we decided to get body marked there and stand in line for the porta potties. Then we stood in the shuttle line which again moved fast thank goodness.

Event warmup:

The swim start area was kinda chaotic, lots of athletes, spectators, kids and some dogs. Seriously people, don't bring you dog to these things! We grabbed our timing chips then started to pull on the wetsuits which is always a workout in itself. By then the pros were about to go off so we walked to Scottie's corral (wave 5) and saw them off. I was starting to get super nervous and said I was gonna head to my corral to start to calm down a bit. This was another great move on my part because the girls in my wave were awesome. I found 3 other girls, all of whom were 70.3 newbies, so we chatted the whole time. They were awesome and totally calmed me down. The time flew by and before we knew it we were walking down to the dock. Most of the girls were pretty pumped up...others looks scared shitless and some looked like they meant business. I stayed away from those girls, I didn’t need a kick to the face. Our wave was rather large, it encompassed women 29 and under which felt kinda big to me but because we didn't have to turn I wasn't terribly concerned. I jumped in, peed in the wetsuit and took my spot on the back right. Away from any craziness. Then it was GO TIME!
Swim
  • 32m 5s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

I waited a few seconds for the front rows to go, and then I started to slowly and smoothly swim. No panicking here! I felt awesome. Nice and calm and I got into my rhythm pretty fast. I wasn't going to exert too much here, just go with the flow...literally. I tried to open my eyes and look underwater but I started seeing weird things in the water so I kept them closed when I put my face under water...no need to freak out over something stupid. I moved slightly more towards the center as I knew the current was stronger but I still liked staying out of the way of others. Soon enough the pink caps were behind me...the faster ladies in the wave behind had caught up. Then near the end the wave after them started to catch up with me. I wasn't worried, the swim is all about survival for me. And survive I did, besides the guy in front of my near the end that stood up and tried to wade in prematurely...everything was pretty uneventful.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, always need to work on the swim but this was pretty dang fast!
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

The run to transition was longer than I expected, I was a little winded but not much...we got to the wetsuit strippers and pointed to two of the bigger guys. I laid down and they ripped the suit off...then handed me the suit...um hello....help me up please! :) I felt grass all over me, but I wasn't worried...the rain was pretty steady and I knew it was probably going to get worse so I went with it. I didn't even rinse my feet off....no more prissy transitions for me! I was sorta lost in transition though, for some reason I was concerned about my wetsuit getting in the way of others...I know so courteous I am! Then I snapped out of it and got myself together and trotted all the way out of transition. I had my number attached to my skirt which was facing front and I was immediately yelled at by some 16 year old and told to move it to the back, lol. So that cost me a minute but then I hopped on the bike and off I went.

Focus better
Bike
  • 3h 08m 28s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.83 mile/hr
Comments:

The rain was steady at this point and my bike was soaked...the Zipps I was borrowing were making funny noises which freaked me out. I broke the cardinal rule in triathlons and didn’t bring a spare tire. These were tubulars and I didn't want to buy a spare for $60 if these wheels weren't even mine. I prayed all morning that my wheels and tires would stay intact. I seriously need to go to church this week because the tires held up great. Nonetheless, the bike was making funny sounds but I just tried to remain calm and just focus. My legs felt heavy the first 5 miles and I kinda grumbled that this was going to be a long ride. It didn't help I had an Alanis Morrisette song stuck in my head...I guess it's better then 3 hours of Katy Perry. But then I pepped myself up and told myself this would be a great race and a great ride! I took a swig of my bottle (2 servings of orange Accelerade, 2 vanilla Gus and 6 servings of Endurolyte) and chased it with water and I started feeling more peppy in my legs. My goal was to take a swig of the mix every 5 miles, this worked well for White Lake. Around mile 15 I noticed my bike computer wasn't reading anymore. Awesome. Luckily there were mile markers but I would have to ride based on perceived exertion. I tried to maintain a comfortable pace in the beginning because I knew after the first 17 miles the route would get a bit hillier. The hills were pretty fun but nothing like I am used to....these were EASY! It was awesome. I felt super strong going up and tried to take advantage of the downhills but I did hold back a bit since it was really pouring at this point and I didn't want to risk an accident.

I didn't find the course as crowded as I expected. There were times someone would start climbing a hill while riding in the middle of the lane but I happily trucked on past them :) I didn't grab anything at the first aid station but by the second one I was getting a bit hungry so I grabbed a Powerbar. Cookies and Cream...delish! I settled into aero and ate most of the bar and chugged some water. After this I felt the need to pee but didn't have the balls to pee on the bike. So I just held it...but at least I was hydrated! At the 3rd aid station I grabbed a bottle of water since the aero bottle was out. I was feeling awesome on the bike, the bike computer would occasionally pick up again and I could see I was maintaining between 18 and 19 mph, which was fine for me. I wanted to leave some umph in my legs because I knew I could gain ground on the run if my stomach held up.

At mile 50 I took a Gu Roctane and started to mentally plan getting off the bike and into running mode. The highlight of the ride was the bike down the highway ramp- so fun! Before I knew it was I done with the bike. Not gonna lie, I was kinda sad...my last bike portion of the season :( But all of the hard work this summer paid off. I was beaming when I ran into transition.

Do an anti rain dance? Would love to do this course dry and see how fast I can go.
Transition 2
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

I quickly snapped into reality with a spotted all of the mud in transition. YUCK! That and the people in front of me were walking to their rack...come on people this is a race! LOL. I got to my rack but lost my spot. I went down too far, but I found my name and racked my bike. I opened up my bag to find dry socks and shoes...GLORIOUS! I was soaked to the bone but at least I would have dry feet. I threw on my new visor, grabbed the chapstick and a Fig Newton and another Roctane and I was off.

Keeping my shoes and socks in a bag was awesome and meant I had very happy feet.
Run
  • 1h 52m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I had to pee but I was not about to wait in line in transition, I figured there would be a port potty at the first aid station so I decided to hold it. My legs felt amazing. Like scary amazing, did I just bike 56 miles? I focused on my form to make sure I wasn't sloppy. I had some weird knee pains in days previous and I wanted to just keep the body in line to ensure nothing gave out. Plus in the back of my mind I knew I had a marathon in 5 weeks and an ultra in 8 weeks...no need to injure myself. About a mile into it I saw the first aid station with one guy waiting for the porta potty. I decided to stop here, stretch out and wait. Luckily he was fast and I got business taken care of. I grabbed a Gatorade on the way out and kept trucking. I was still feeling great! What a difference from White lake where my stomach started to revolt just off the bike. The stomach was cooperating, the legs felt great and I had energy...now let's just have fun and so what I do best.

I will say marathon training while HIM training paid off...I was mentally ready for this and I knew 13 miles was nothing compared to the 19 miler I did the previous week. Each mile marker I looked down and noticed I was staying between 8:30 and 9 minutes per mile. I wanted to be smart but still see how far I could push. About 4 miles in my stomach started to cramp a bit, I slowed a bit and just took deep breathes and luckily it passed. This happened a couple other times through the run and I wish I knew why...was it nutrition or just the intensity of everything. During White Lake I attributed it much to the heat and the soy protein in the Perpetuem but I wasn’t sure what was causing it now. Luckily it didn’t hit during the run and keep my in the porta potty.

Hitting the crowds near downtown was fun but I was trying to stay calm and focused because I typically get really excited and then get pesky side stitches so I kept looking forward but still tried to take it all in. I tried to look for Scottie or Alan but never saw then. It was slightly discouraging to pass the finish line and not be able to cross yet but I was feeling great and was ready to tackle the second half of the run. Once I arrived at transition (halfway point) I took the second Gu Roctane and chased it with water. I alternated water and Gatorade at the aid stations to stay hydrated and reduce the chance of cramping. Before I knew it I was back near downtown and I knew I was almost done! I got a bit emotional thinking about this as my last triathlon of the season, all of the hard work I put in all summer, the sweat and tears, the long workouts on Saturdays when I would rather be in bed. I thought about my family tracking me online, I thought about my Grandparents, both of whom I lost earlier this year, I thought about Scottie and how much I love that we can do this together and I thought about the awesome friends I have made through this sport. Yeah I am such a baby, I had to hold back the tears! I saw Harold just as I was about to finish, I asked how he was and he said he was great...he later told me I looked like I was floating...I certainly felt like I was floating. I had pretty much the perfect race, rain and all...I took what was given to me and I just handled it the best I could. And I was having one hell of a day! I took the last turn to finish and just smiled as wide as I could. I pulled out my traditional “jazz hands” for the photographer then threw my hands up in excitement as I crossed. This race was epic.

Nothing. Marathon training pays off in a HIM.
Post race
Warm down:

I got my medal and then had my chip removed and noticed it had dug nicely into my ankle. I could feel it as I was running but I totally blocked it out, a little blood wasn't gonna kill me plus I felt bad ass. There were people everywhere and I tried to spot Alan and Scottie but went straight for the food and inhaled a slice of pizza then grabbed a Coke. I never drink soda but though the sugar and bubbles would counteract any potential sickness. I felt great but then it hit me, I felt lightheaded so I sat down near one of the statues and just rested for a minute. Then I spotted Alan and we sat down together. He had just gotten a massage so we walked over there to find Scottie. I guess he underestimated my finish time, because he kept looking for me at the finish line. Alan talked me into signing up for a massage so I waited in the chairs near that tent while he walked around to try and find Scottie. At this point I started feeling kinda crappy. I did drink a beer which tasted delicious but I could barely stand up I was just so tired. Just as it was my turn for a message I really started feeling bad so as soon as a table opened up I plopped down and shut my eyes to regain composure. The massage was fantastic and I felt much better when I got up. By then we found Scottie and we camped out next to the massage tent. The sun started to come out and it just baked us. I made the first of many post race porta potty stops but luckily I started feeling better. Then it started to rain again...enough with the rain! So we stood in line for our clothes bags then got on the shuttle to get to transition where it promptly started to pour again. I was so tired of being wet. We slowly biked back to the hotel where I have never been so happy to shower in my life.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not a heck of a lot. I took 37 minutes off my White Lake time, and that course was pancake flat though it was also like 95 degrees that day. I am pretty darn happy with this race.

Nutrition report for next time:
2 packets of oats with 1 scoop Barney Butter
coffee
water

1-24 oz bottle of 2 servings of Accelerade, 2x Vanilla Gu, 6 scoops Endurolyte
1 Powerbar on the bike (approx mile 40)
1 Roctane at mile 50
2 Aero bottles of water

water and gatorade sips on the run
1 Roctane at halfway point of the run

Event comments:

I actually really liked this race and going into it I didn't think I would. So many people, so many logistical things that had to be planned but overall when I focus just on the race itself and the course I thought it was awesome. I had a great time during the whole race. The volunteers were amazing! Especially the drill sergeant cop at on the intersections of the run...he made me smile. And the lady with the little dinner bell that she must had rung for hours on her front porch and the little boy and his Mom who were played the drums and toy trumpet, all the old men cheering me on...kinda creepy but also funny- must have been the pink running skirt :)...stuff like that I never want to forget...hence the novel of a race report.

Last updated: 2010-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:05 | 2143 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: With the current- GLORIOUS!
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:26
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:28 | 56 miles | 17.83 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:58
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:52:42 | 13.1 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-09-28 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2010-09-28 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3122352

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Killer race girl!!  I identify with so many things you said.  I spend all my time chasing the boys around in the heat on my bike - hating being the reason they are waiting at the turns.  But I thought the course was super easy compaired to what we train on so it all works out.  Your running is amazing.  You are my hero. 

The same things you pointed out on the run were the same things I remember, that cop rocked.  The drum beat, people calling your name was a little odd but I liked it, all the people. 

You are going to KILL Florida - don't let anyone say anything bad about it. I'm sure we'll see lots of each other next year as we are doing our IM TRAINING!!  (holy cow, did I really say that?!?! Cry)
2010-09-28 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3122413

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Yes IM training...I can't wait!!!  We are gonna ROCK it!!!
2010-09-29 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

2 words:
Awe.  Some.

When I grow up, I want to race a 70.3 like you! Tongue out

Seriously, I know what you mean about racing HIM while mary-training.  I did it backwards in 2008-did White Lake after running Umstead.  Of course, it was 100 degrees, and I cooked the bike, but I had a pretty bad run that day...

Well done.  Rest up.

2010-09-30 8:31 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
" had pretty much the perfect race, rain and all..." pretty much says it all. You did awesome! I would kill to run like that or even feel like that off the bike.
2010-09-30 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Incredible race
Awesome report
Im amazed by the amount of nutrition you took in!
Best of luck in the future!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed