General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 54m
Overall Rank = 168/261
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 20/25
Pre-race routine:

Night before the race I analyzed data and set target HRs for the race. Got up at 5:30 AM. Was only 15 minutes from the site. Loaded up and had a PBH sandwich and a 6 oz OJ and a large cup of coffee. Very foggy out and had trouble finding parking. Got unloaded and to transition at 6:30. Got set up and had time to get the race director's report but didn't get my Garmin going - was worried I would loose the battery during the race. That was a mistake. Next time will get it up and into multi-sport prior to leaving transition. Didn't feel like I had time for a short run prior to going to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Not much time for a warm-up this time and the venue was kind of crowded. Did some brief stretching and talked. That was a mistake also. Should have started focusing on the race and done more stretching and a short run anyway.
Swim
  • 39m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Course was well marked, waited for others in wave to start once the horn sounded. For some reason I kept pulling to the left and was constantly going off course or making corrections. Ended up on back or side stroke a lot. Had difficulty getting breathing down because of issues. Settled down and did better with staying on course the second lap. Allowed me to spend more time in crawl.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more to make sure I was staying on course. Focus on swim prior to entering water (prep). Get breathing brought under control more quickly so I could better my pace more quickly.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

The run into transition from the swim was long - had to go up a boat ramp, over the dam and back down the other side of the dam (wet grass) and then through a parking lot and tennis court complex to get to transition. Out of transition was over a set of curbs and a landscaping strip. Had to lift bike over.

Got water to rinse with and drink coming out of lake. Wouldn't get water until on bike and going the next time. Would run more on uphill to cross the dam. Didn't run on the steep downhill section of dam that had wet grass - didn't want to fall. Ran rest of way to and from transition. Need to set up Garmin before swim. Was messing with it at the mount line.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 52s
  • 24 miles
  • 19.23 mile/hr
Comments:

About 75 yards from rack to mount line. Jogged with bike out of transition to the mount line but ended up messing with the Garmin at the mount line trying to get it into multisport mode. Got on bike and had uphill pretty quickly. By hill I mean short steep rise - about 1/4 mile. Got up to speed quickly and held a good cadence and speed. Course was rolling and fast. As wind picked up, pace dropped somewhat.I noticed that on the last hill of the lap I went from 14.something mph to 9.8 mph - that was with the headwind. Overall strong ride and conditions were fine. Turns were good and so was cornering. Might have been able to push it a little harder in corners but very happy with the effort.

Have Garmin set up and ready before getting into the water. Get a tri bike and get off the mountain bike. Had a 19.2 avg on the mountain bike, would be able to shave some minutes on a tri bike!
Transition 2
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Came up to dismount line as fast as I would want to. Stopped before getting off the bike and jogged back to rack. Bike racked fine, helmet off easy. Shoes took a little while to get on. Had to put on socks this time. Put on number belt and grabbed hydration pack and took off while putting it on. Transition was pretty good overall.

Unbuckle helmet while running. Get a pair of shoes I dont have to wear socks with. I like my shoes but they aren't finished well inside and I get rubbed raw spots if I go without socks. Learn to get off the bike while it is moving
Run
  • 53m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't see where I crossed timing mat so my Garmin was off on recording distance. Nice cool north wind on run that helped a lot. Legs were good getting off the bike. Started off slow - about 9:20 and legs wanted to go faster but slowly improved pace to keep from loosing steam before the end of race. Started to flag at about 4 miles so took a Vanilla Accel Gel and chased it with water. This helped a lot. Had to pay attention to my pace between 4.75 and 5.75 to keep it where I wanted it. Kicked the last .5 mile to about a 7:25 to finish better.

Take in a little more energy drink on the bike to hold me longer on the run. Tighten up the overall pace so I could shave another 10-15 seconds off the pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and walked for about 10 minutes. Started to chill down but ran into friend that loaned me a jacket until transition opened again. Grabbed some post race food and went to the chiros booth and they worked out my calves and hamstrings!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim definitely. Should have paid attention to lungs before race and also warmed up. Once having issues in water, should have gotten it under control more quickly so I could have better times. Also transitions. Need to work on shaving times there. Need a tri bike but the bike and run performance were best I could do overall.

Event comments:

Overall a good course. A lot of support on water and land. T1 is a haul from the lake but that is one of the challenges. Would do the race again.

Last updated: 2010-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:30 | 1500 meters | 02m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 167/261
Performance: Below average
No HR data for the swim
Suit: No
Course: Course was rectangular with two laps required to complete the distance. Had to jump in off the dock and swim to the start buoys.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:52 | 24 miles | 19.23 mile/hr
Overall: 116/261
Performance: Good
Garmin wasn't set up. No good data here on lap or HR. AT is 165, set alert at 152. Avg 155-157 during race.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Course was rectangular and four laps on rolling terrain. Hill straight out of transition and coming up the last side of the rectangle. First lap was warm and no wind. Cold front came through and wind continued to pick up for the remainder of the laps to about 15mph. Had a crosswind on two sides, tailwind on another and a headwind. Had precipitation intermittently on bike. Roads were concrete with cobblestone crosswalks. Good condition with some small potholes, mainly sunken cobblestones.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:58 | 06.21 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 124/261
Performance: Good
No HR data available. AT is 165 (really was the same as the biking!), HR Alert set at 155. Avg'ed 148 during race.
Course: Out and back course run on sidewalks. The sidewalks go through tunnels under the streets so we had 4 of these to negotiate. Nothing wrong with them but short and steep up and downs to get to the tunnels. Sidewalk was smooth and even for the most part. Rolling terrain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-30 9:55 AM

Round Rock
Silver member
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic

2010-09-30 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3125743

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic
Dude, so proud of you and happy I got to experience this journey with you, even though it was virtual.  Excellent first season of tri's with many more to come.

"Unbuckle helmet while running."  I am not sure I would do this.  I think it is against the rules.  Not 100% sure so check it out.  I'm unbuckling mine as I am starting to bend over to put the shoes on so you can still get the helmet off without loss time. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed