The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 41m 6s
Overall Rank = 56/?
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 3 hours before race to eat which worked well.
Event warmup:

no warmup.
Swim
  • 32m 53s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was an olympic distance swim. Everything else was HIM.

Time trial start was a very mellow way to start a triathlon!

My goal was just to get through this without spending too much energy which I did. I have only been swimming regularly for the last 3-4 weeks.

I think this swim was long, though. Not judging by my crappy time, but there were only a small handfull of times below 25 min. There was also an OLYMPIAN doing the swim relay - he had the fastest swim, and he did not even break 20 min.

Long run up hill from the swim finish. Lot's of high 5s to family and friends.

What would you do differently?:

I've already joined a masters team. now i just need to put in the yards 3x a week.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

It was very cold out to start a wet 3 hour ride, so i took a little extra time to put on socks, gloves, and get my act together.
Bike
  • 3h 01m 39s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.50 mile/hr
Comments:

First order of business was to settle my HR down. Looked down at my Garmin and it said "BPM 0"..."crap, i forgot to put on my strap". So my plan to ride by HR changed to RPE.

It was cold. Glad i had arm warmers on under my wetsuit and a pair of cheap Walmart gloves I chucked halfway through.

This was a very hilly and challenging ride. Relentless hills. It wasn't all bad, though...lots of long downhills too, which was fun.

At my weight (225lbs) i was flying on the downhills but I don't climb well. Need to drop some lbs.

On one climb a douche roady relay guy rode by and said "I guess your disc isn't helping you on this climb is it?". Tool. It's just a wheelcover anyway :).

I'm happy with the ride. Left it out there. Ate 4 Gus. 2 waters. One Gu drink. And one of the nasty sportsdrinks on course.

Lost my glasses. dang.
What would you do differently?:

Have HRM.
Loose some weight.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

T2 is the reason I race. I love it. If the race was only T2 I would have podiumed. Unfortunately, it is not.
Run
  • 2h 02m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Started strong but by mile 3 I was cramping. I walked that off. The middle miles 5-9 were brutal on me. The hills were catching up. Went from an 8:30 pace to a 10min pace with some walking. I ate some GU Jelly thingies and I think they really helped as I took off at about mile 10 and was rolling well again back at 8:30s. Finished strong to "Don't Stop Believin" blaring on the soundsystem. Lots of high 5s in the finish shoot. Really fun.
Post race
Warm down:

FREE BEER for racers. and burritos. wow. awesome.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The Rev3 timing results are hard to follow. Relays are included in the overall and their are no individual split rankings. This is the best I can tell as far as my age group.

After the swim I was 20th out of 38.
After the bike I was 13th out of 38.
After the run I was 12th out of 38.

Summary - MOP swim, good bike, avg run. pretty typical.

results: http://iifvaweb1.iifdata.com/halffulltrioct2010/

Event comments:

This is a great race. first of all, it is a great triathlon. tough, but fair. Extremely well run. but that is only a small part. This race is all about supporting the Ulman Cancer Program and young adults with cancer. There are too many reasons why this is special to me to list. There were many many survivors racing in the race. THere were over 100 first time triathlets giving it their best. It was such a positive experience for such and important cause. Kudos to Team Fight, Ulman, all the volunteers, the survivors, the participants, and the crowds. Great day!!!

Last updated: 2010-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:53 | 1500 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 136/?
Performance: Average
Suit: full desoto
Course:
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:01:39 | 56 miles | 18.50 mile/hr
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: It's more or less the Columbia cours X2 but with some extra hills thrown in.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:02:23 | 13.1 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Average
Course: HILLY
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-07 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
Subject: Half Full Triathlon

2010-10-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3139189

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
Subject: RE: Half Full Triathlon
I think the swim was roughly the right distance, but remember the timing mat wasn't until T1.  In other words, that 300-400 yard uphill run (barefoot) counted in your swim time.  Not sure exactly how long that takes, but might be around 2 minutes.  If you subtract 2 minutes from the swim times they start to look a lot more reasonable.

Nice race.  Somehow I missed the free beer - all I saw was the $4 beer at the Heineken tent.

One question - how did wearing arm warmers under wetsuit work out for you?  I thought about this but was worried they would be wet and cold during the bike.  So I ended up wasting a lot of time in T1 putting them on.  Were you cold?  Did they dry quickly?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Half Full Triathlon Rss Feed