General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heat exhaustion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-12 3:31 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: heat exhaustion
In 2008 I had some pretty significant heat exhaustion.  Maybe even mild heat stroke-I didn't go to the doctor.  My symptoms were dizziness, nausea, chill bumps on my skin, and not much sweating.  This was during a half marathon.  It was only about 82 that day, but it was full-on sun.  We went on vacation the next day for a week, and I had some bad plantar fasciitis, so I pretty well took a good long break after that.  What I have noticed though, is that ever since that episode, I simply can't do running in the heat.  I start getting those same symptoms early in a run.  And to make matters worse it seems that I have developed EIA since then as well.  If I run in the heat I always carry HEED or GU brew and I try to hydrate prior to running, it just doesn't seem to make a difference. I don't have a problem on the bike, just on the run.  Is this psychological or are you more susceptible to heat exhaustion once you've had it?  I'm trying to PR for a half marathon in 3 weeks and it is a 3pm start.  I'm afraid it might to too hot for me to PR with my history of running in the heat.  Anyone have any experience with heat exhaustion?  Or suggestions as to prevent it.

Thanks,

jami  

2010-10-12 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3148039

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: RE: heat exhaustion
Heat exhaustion is primarily a dehydration, low sodium issue.  (ref. 2010 Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment, McPhee&Papadakis).  I have always heard (but can't verify in my med resources) that once you've been a vicim of a heat injury, you are more susceptible. Once moderately dehydrated, it takes a couple of days of hydration to re-hydrate. During any given day do you drink plenty of water?  Most people walk around w/ chronic mild dehydration then you add heat and exercise to it and you're sick.  Do you wear a camelpak and hydrate during the run?  If you're eating gu and not drinking enough water, the electrolytes in the gu can pull fluid into your gut, dehydrating you.  If you pissed in a glass and can't read a newpaper through it, you're not drinking enough water . 

Just some thoughts here, I ain't no MD but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

Talk to your doc, there may be an underlying issue.

Edited by La Tortuga 2010-10-12 6:10 PM
2010-10-13 3:50 AM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I'm also no doc, but am a first responder, and deal with lots of heat related issues here in the Desert.  I've read and been taught that once you go down with heat illness you're more susceptible to heat problems for years if not forever.
2010-10-13 2:06 PM

Veteran
I also had some heat exhaustion and a pretty serious case in July. Still not sure why I had it as I was drinking water all day, but no gatorade while on a mission trip. I seem to wear out quicker and also have increased issues with heat and humidity.

My doctor said that it would take me until around Thanksgiving to fully recover and he was not kidding. I have improved a lot, but attended a football game saturday afternoon here in NC in the wonderful mid-80's sitting in the full sun for four hours. I was feeling the heat and similar symptoms fairly quickly. Had to escape to the shade and get an ice pack to put on my chest.

Try to find some ways to keep your core cool and don't quit drinking.

I am hoping that I don't experience the same thing again as it was very scary, but also understand that it may well happen again.
2010-10-13 9:39 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
There's no physiologic explanation for a victim of heat exhaustion to be more susceptible to it a 2nd time as a result of having suffered from it once. Heat acclimitization is a physiologic process that occurs in the body and takes about 2 weeks of daily exposure to heat, resulting in sweating (raising core body temp) for about 45 minutes a day. The body responds by upregulating enzymes that aid in keeping the body cool, which includes more sweating and better retention of sodium. An acclimited athlete will actually lose a lot more fluids by sweat than a non-acclimitzied individual. Also, if you are not acclimitized to heat, simply drinking fluids & electrolytes is not sufficient to cool the body as the underlying hormonal and ezymatic responses simply are not there.

Short answer: You'll be fine if you acclimitize to heat gradually.
2010-10-14 9:21 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks for the replies.  In my neck of the woods October started off cool so even when I ran in the middle of the day I didn't have a problem.  Since I struggle with heat I tend to only run in the early a.m. or late evening throughout the summer months.  The last week has been unseasonably warm here, and when I set out to do my 11 mile run Sunday it was 2 p.m. (after church).  Now that I think about it, I went about that run all wrong.  I had a busy Saturday with a band festival.  I sat in direct sun for about 4 hours watching high school bands.  Probably didn't hydrate enough to replace lost fluid from sweating.  Went to bed late, got up on sunday and had coffee.  I probably drank maybe 16 oz of water by 9 a.m. I went to church, came home, skipped lunch, made 21 oz of HEED and started to run.  So in hindsight, I feel silly for even asking about heat exhaustion.  I mean, I was practically begging for it!  And my HM isn't till October 30, so it should be cool by then.  It's a 3 p.m. start which I'm not thrilled about-one of the reasons I have been doing long runs in the afternoon, so I can get used to that.  

jami

2010-10-14 3:51 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
When expecting to run an IM in the heat I purposefully workout in the heat (90's for up to 6 hours).  It really takes it out of me at first, but my case = 1 is that ya about 2 weeks into it I am much better able to handle the heat and an IM in 89 F has not been a problem.  My HIM in 105 with /barely any support was a different matter, need those aid stations closer than 3 miles appart in 105 temps on the run. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heat exhaustion Rss Feed