Mike Siltman
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Not much. My buddy Mary wanted to see what this trail race was all about and since I love getting off the beaten path, agreed. She is a faster runner than I but wanted to just stick together and have fun taking pics of this legendary course.
Picked Mary up at 4:30 and she had coffee, muffins, juice, etc. which we ate on the drive to Pekin. As we drew closer to our turnoff, we looked for a McDonalds or gas station for bathroom break but nothing was open. It was eerie how little traffic was out on a major interstate.
We decided to just drive to the park . I missed the cutoff in the dark and we had to turn around. Then we had no idea where to go once we got into the park, so we just followed the road. It went back to a cul-de sac where we could see a tent with lamplight inside and a few cars, plus a bonfire. We thought it might be a hunting camp and decided to ask directions.
Nope, this was the race headquarters! Found the port a potty, got our packets, debated what to wear. It was cold but sure to warm up. I opted for tights with a pair of shorts over the top, long sleeve technical and a vest. Wore my Nike Frees since that's what I run in all the time.
Event warmup:

Nothing, just kind of stayed warm by the bonfire. Everyone lined up in the dark. There was some pink in the sky coming through the forest tops. Very beautiful and serene to see the day unfold in the wilderness.
Run
  • 2h 37m
  • 10 miles
  • 15m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

This is a very cool race. It starts off plunging down a steep hill with lots of ruts (water erosion?) so you have to watch your footing. We stopped to get a picture and Mike McDaniel (McFuzz) came running by and introduced himself, which was pretty neat. Always good to meet other BTers.

I opted not to carry water since there was a water stop at mile 5. We just kind of jogged along at an 11-something pace, then walked up the steep hills. You have to watch for orange streamers tied to trees to mark the trail, so that was new. Sometimes we had to stop and look around for the course marker. Since we ran by ourselves for the most part, it was not like you could follow the person in front of you. Had to wade one shallow creek but my shoes dried out quickly. Mary fell three times. I stubbed my toe into a great big rock. Lots and lots of fun. Considering the course, I am happy with my time.
What would you do differently?:

I think a good way to train for this race would be to alternate trail running with stair climbing workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some of Tonya Siltman's delicious chili and had some Pepsi. It tasted really good. Stood by the bonfire and talked about how much fun it was. Talked to Tonya about her Maine Coon cats.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am just happy to not have fallen off a bluff or broken a leg on a log on this one, so I'm not going to fuss about my slow time.

Event comments:

Great and fun race!

Last updated: 2010-10-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:37:00 | 10 miles | 15m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Singletrack in thick forest, almost all hills. Lots of short steep climbs, couple of VERY steep climbs. Three creek crossings. A few open prairie areas. Tough course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-31 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: McNotAgain Trail Run

2010-10-31 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3187034

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: McNotAgain Trail Run
THat sounds like a really fun event!  Great job having FUN with it!!
2010-11-01 4:58 AM
in reply to: #3187034

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Congrats on a great race!  I wasn't sure how to find you pre-race or anything.  Sorry if I didn't get a chance to chat longer, but that was a busy part of the course. 

If you want to run it again, let me know.  The locals run there once or twice a month all winter long. 
2010-11-01 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3188021

User image

Expert
Illinois
McFuzz - 2010-11-01 4:58 AM Congrats on a great race!  I wasn't sure how to find you pre-race or anything.  Sorry if I didn't get a chance to chat longer, but that was a busy part of the course. 

If you want to run it again, let me know.  The locals run there once or twice a month all winter long. 

Yes, that was a busy and chaotic part of the race.  We had so much fun and talked about driving over again but are afraid of getting lost in those woods.  I would love to run that course again, please keep me posted!
2010-11-01 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3188270

User image

Master

Great job! Can't wait to see the video!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » McNotAgain Trail Run Rss Feed