General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's a good sports massage? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-01 8:00 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: What's a good sports massage?

I think I am going to fire my massage therapist. He is a nice guy, but I really do not think I am getting my money's worth. 

To put it into perspective, I am a member of a massage "factory".  The rates are really good, but I have become increasingly disappointed in the massages.  Maybe it's because I have been seeing the same guy for 2 years and need a change.

How do you define a good sports massage?  He always asks if I have any specific problems.  He knows I am a triathlete.  If I say that I have no specific areas of concern, it seems he spends the majority of time on my shoulders and arms and little on my legs. Also, the pressure is very light. 

I am going to give him one more chance and be very specific about what I want.  More focus on the legs and deeper pressure.

But, what should I expect from a real sports massage?

2010-11-01 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3189789

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: What's a good sports massage?
must resist,  must resist,  must resist Happy joke,,, must resist.

I pretty sure I know the chain you are talking about,, is there another store fairly close that you can try under your membership?  I don't think I know of anyone in your area but I'll ask around.  I do know what you are talking about though, I"ve gone there a few times and each time was more disappointed then the last. It was more of a rub down than a massage
2010-11-02 12:19 AM

Extreme Veteran
San Antonio
any good massage should hurt.  If it doesn't hurt, then either the muscle doesn't need massaging, or he's not digging deep enough.

After my A race last season, i was in such extreme pain cause i went so hard on the bike and run.  I got a massage afterwards and it was one of the most painfull experiences of my life.  Miraculously, i never felt an inch of soreness the following week.

I would just switch ppl.  And make sure u get one thats experienced with sports massages, or athletes.  And request that they are rough.  Maybe a tip is in order?? 
2010-11-02 5:27 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Unfortunately, finding a good massage therapist is not that easy... talk to other athletes in your area and ask whom they are using.

Most massage therapists don't really know how to give a good sports massage (they are trained to give people a nice, relaxing experience at the spa... how many of those do you think would come back after a sports massage?!).

... and once you find a good one, stick with it. It takes time for the therapist to "learn" your body and what you need. It truly becomes a partnership after a while... where the therapist will be able to point out issues you have without you even knowing about them...
2010-11-02 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

There are several different types of massages. It sounds to me that you what you are receiving is a Swedish massage, and what you are wanting is a Deep Tissue or maybe a Sports Massage. You should talk to your massage therapist and ask if he is trained and / or comfortable giving Deep Tissue Massages, or ask around and find out who does give DT massages. Some of the palces to check or around are with Physical Therapists, Chiropractors, and Sports Doctors.
2010-11-02 8:36 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
You might also check with any local running or tri clubs or stores to see if they have someone they recommend. My running club has 2 massage therapists we work with.  I use one specifically and I LURVE her.  She beats my peroneal tendons into submission on a regular basis. Often I am bruised after she works on me.  But it really helps me.  She is a runner and has had significant injuries herself that she treats with massage (was obliterated by a car when she was riding cross-country on her bike as a teenager) and she listens well.  She quickly learned my non-verbal cues of pain (I involuntarily lift my head off the table when she hits a spot) and generally then will focus on that area.  Because she is also a friend we have an agreement, I can cuss at her when it hurts if she can laugh at my silly nonverbals cues.   I just got a script for massage from my PA at work so now I get to use my flex spending to pay her for a few massages.  In fact, I need to set up an appointment with her for Saturday. 

2010-11-02 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Agree with the above advice--find someone who does a good job (if needed, switching places) and stick to them.  Massage here in Vietnam is cheap enough to enjoy once a week, and some people are well-trained, but it's very hard to communicate what you want/need.  I think the main problem (even in the US) is that most people prefer a gentler massage for relaxation, whereas what most athletes want is something a lot more aggressive that many therapists are reluctant to do, because it can be painful!

The massage therapists here tend to go very light on skinny people and I am guessing that a lot of endurance athletes might have this problem.  They think we're fragile and will bruise easily, so they won't go too hard. But we're actually quite solid, and have a lot of (tired, sore, tight) long, stringy muscles that need to be attacked!  This is where communication becomes really important.

The best therapists can feel your areas of soreness/tightness and do something to alleviate them, even without your telling them explicitly. I've had some great massages from people with whom I actually can't communicate at all (except to grimace in pain!) I think they must be well-trained, and have very sensitive fingers that can "read" your muscles, as well as good technique. If you find someone like this, tip well, and be a regular customer!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's a good sports massage? Rss Feed