Other Resources Challenge Me! » Challenge: Weight Loss During the Holiday Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2010-12-08 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3192984

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Subject: RE: Challenge: Weight Loss During the Holiday Season
Morning all! I've finally dropped below my starting weight.  If I add the 1.5 lbs I gained when I switched scales that makes 2 lbs.  Even if it's only 1/2 lb I'll take it.

2010-12-08 8:30 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
I have been trying to notice my stress eating at work too.  We have a lunch room at the office so I try to go in less often which helps with the walk by browsing & snacking calories.  I have also been making lots of herbal tea.  I think having something hot to sip on keeps me from eating too much. 

Other things that have been working for me include:
  • keeping the window shades up so I get some sunshine into my space. I take a second to watch the clouds, feel the sunshine and take a few calming breaths
  • no cheap treats-I avoid the store bought over processed junk food that appears as a holiday goodie.  If I'm going to have a treat it better be one that is fabulous
  • bring my (modest sized) treat back to my desk to sit and relax and enjoy. No going back for seconds.
  • if I don't really like what I'm eating I throw it away after the first disappointing bite.  Maybe its wasteful but I don't have a lot of calories to spare so it has to be worth it.
  • when I am tempted to overindulge I try to remember my goals and think that in the long run I am worth more than the temporary pleasure of overindulging
  • sign on to BT until the temptation passes!
2010-12-08 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3240914

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-12-08 9:11 AM

Pro
NorCal
Meals for me are a bit complicated during the work week.  I'm in sales and basically my car is my office.  Not having access to a microwave sucks!  Some days I do remember to bring a salad with a cold pack and usually keep fruit in my car, but I need protein!  Yesterday I went to Safeway to buy something for lunch and everything that is prepared is all processed and/or full of fat and/or lots of sodium, and/or sugar!  Even the salads were horrible!  They are full of cheese and I don't eat cheese.  I got so frustrated I had a liquid lunch of a non-fat latte at Starbucks.  I know it's not the best choice, but at least it had some protein in it, lol!
2010-12-08 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3240931

Elite
washington state
wgraves7582 - 2010-12-08 6:37 AM
KOM - 2010-12-08 9:30 AM I have been trying to notice my stress eating at work too.  We have a lunch room at the office so I try to go in less often which helps with the walk by browsing & snacking calories.  I have also been making lots of herbal tea.  I think having something hot to sip on keeps me from eating too much. 

• keeping the window shades up so I get some sunshine into my space. I take a second to watch the clouds, feel the sunshine and take a few calming breaths
  • no cheap treats-I avoid the store bought over processed junk food that appears as a holiday goodie.  If I'm going to have a treat it better be one that is fabulous
  • bring my (modest sized) treat back to my desk to sit and relax and enjoy. No going back for seconds.
  • if I don't really like what I'm eating I throw it away after the first disappointing bite.  Maybe its wasteful but I don't have a lot of calories to spare so it has to be worth it.
  • when I am tempted to overindulge I try to remember my goals and think that in the long run I am worth more than the temporary pleasure of overindulging

Great advice Kathy!

One thing I also try and do - don't beat myself up if I do have 1 too many treats.  In the end it is the journey to the new weight that is important - not each individual step.

I have hit my low point in a long time 174.5 on the scale this morning.  That is post bike tour weight for me and my main point has been to skip snacking at night when I am bored.  If I don't need the fuel for a morning workout - then I am not going to eat it!

Great points from both of you!  Thanks for the reminders and for jogging my awareness of eating habits.
2010-12-08 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3241010

Elite
washington state
AbbieR - 2010-12-08 7:11 AM Meals for me are a bit complicated during the work week.  I'm in sales and basically my car is my office.  Not having access to a microwave sucks!  Some days I do remember to bring a salad with a cold pack and usually keep fruit in my car, but I need protein!  Yesterday I went to Safeway to buy something for lunch and everything that is prepared is all processed and/or full of fat and/or lots of sodium, and/or sugar!  Even the salads were horrible!  They are full of cheese and I don't eat cheese.  I got so frustrated I had a liquid lunch of a non-fat latte at Starbucks.  I know it's not the best choice, but at least it had some protein in it, lol!

What about a protein bar to go with the fruit?

2010-12-08 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3241010

Master
East Side of the Bay
AbbieR - 2010-12-08 10:11 AM Meals for me are a bit complicated during the work week.  I'm in sales and basically my car is my office.  Not having access to a microwave sucks!  Some days I do remember to bring a salad with a cold pack and usually keep fruit in my car, but I need protein!  Yesterday I went to Safeway to buy something for lunch and everything that is prepared is all processed and/or full of fat and/or lots of sodium, and/or sugar!  Even the salads were horrible!  They are full of cheese and I don't eat cheese.  I got so frustrated I had a liquid lunch of a non-fat latte at Starbucks.  I know it's not the best choice, but at least it had some protein in it, lol!

Getting enough protein is one of my issues too.  I have been eating Builder Bars for the protein but is a rather lot of calories as a snack and I am trying to eat real food for meals (not always successfully). Could you cook up some chicken breasts on Sunday night and then keep some sliced meat ready to go into a cooler to add to a salad?  I have also never tried those sealed pouches of tuna but it is shelf stable so that might be another option for the road. We have a lot of sales folks come through our office.  It is a very hard lifestyle for healthy eating!
2010-12-08 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3240914

Elite
Ontario, Canada
KOM - 2010-12-08 9:30 AM I have been trying to notice my stress eating at work too.  We have a lunch room at the office so I try to go in less often which helps with the walk by browsing & snacking calories.  I have also been making lots of herbal tea.  I think having something hot to sip on keeps me from eating too much. 

It looks like you have a good strategy!
2010-12-08 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3241056

Pro
NorCal
deehtz - 2010-12-08 7:37 AM
AbbieR - 2010-12-08 7:11 AM Meals for me are a bit complicated during the work week.  I'm in sales and basically my car is my office.  Not having access to a microwave sucks!  Some days I do remember to bring a salad with a cold pack and usually keep fruit in my car, but I need protein!  Yesterday I went to Safeway to buy something for lunch and everything that is prepared is all processed and/or full of fat and/or lots of sodium, and/or sugar!  Even the salads were horrible!  They are full of cheese and I don't eat cheese.  I got so frustrated I had a liquid lunch of a non-fat latte at Starbucks.  I know it's not the best choice, but at least it had some protein in it, lol!

What about a protein bar to go with the fruit?

I have some Vegan bars which are made with almond butter, very tastey, but I get bored on bars, lol.  I'm not a fan of protein bars, too many chemicals.
2010-12-08 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3241205

Pro
NorCal
KOM - 2010-12-08 8:34 AM
AbbieR - 2010-12-08 10:11 AM Meals for me are a bit complicated during the work week.  I'm in sales and basically my car is my office.  Not having access to a microwave sucks!  Some days I do remember to bring a salad with a cold pack and usually keep fruit in my car, but I need protein!  Yesterday I went to Safeway to buy something for lunch and everything that is prepared is all processed and/or full of fat and/or lots of sodium, and/or sugar!  Even the salads were horrible!  They are full of cheese and I don't eat cheese.  I got so frustrated I had a liquid lunch of a non-fat latte at Starbucks.  I know it's not the best choice, but at least it had some protein in it, lol!

Getting enough protein is one of my issues too.  I have been eating Builder Bars for the protein but is a rather lot of calories as a snack and I am trying to eat real food for meals (not always successfully). Could you cook up some chicken breasts on Sunday night and then keep some sliced meat ready to go into a cooler to add to a salad?  I have also never tried those sealed pouches of tuna but it is shelf stable so that might be another option for the road. We have a lot of sales folks come through our office.  It is a very hard lifestyle for healthy eating!

I have done this, but usually it's a matter of remembering to take it out of the frig with me, lol!  I guess I carry so much stuff every day, I need to grow another arm.
2010-12-08 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3240931

Elite
Slackerville, USA
wgraves7582 - 2010-12-08 7:37 AM

Great advice Kathy!

One thing I also try and do - don't beat myself up if I do have 1 too many treats.  In the end it is the journey to the new weight that is important - not each individual step.

I have hit my low point in a long time 174.5 on the scale this morning.  That is post bike tour weight for me and my main point has been to skip snacking at night when I am bored.  If I don't need the fuel for a morning workout - then I am not going to eat it!

Good plan Kathy. I think one of the best things to do to lose weight is to have a plan and it sounds like you've thought this through.

2010-12-08 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3241366

Expert
AbbieR -

I have done this, but usually it's a matter of remembering to take it out of the frig with me, lol!  I guess I carry so much stuff every day, I need to grow another arm.

Please don't...WWB does not make a bikini for a three armed person. 
2010-12-09 6:38 AM

2010-12-09 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3241754

Elite
Ontario, Canada

cayrip - 2010-12-08 4:11 PM
AbbieR -

I didn't want to look silly and ask... but when I googled "WWB" I didn't get much clarification...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1076&bih=598&q=WWB&aq=f&aqi=g1g-s1g4g-s1g-c1g1g-s1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

2010-12-09 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3242355

Elite
Ontario, Canada

wgraves7582 - 2010-12-09 7:38 AM 174.5 again.  Slow and steady!

It looks like you're trying to hold onto your stars. Only 3 more posts!

Good job on the weight loss!

2010-12-09 8:23 AM

Expert
In order to ensure I have blocked out my lunch for a run starting next week, I set an outlook appointment in my calendar every day for 11am.  Now I don't have an excuse to not get up from my computer and go for a run.  One step to success is to plan my success.

199.8 this morning.

2010-12-09 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3242456

2010-12-09 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3242532

Elite
Ontario, Canada
wgraves7582 - 2010-12-09 9:45 AM
mbasta - 2010-12-09 9:08 AM

cayrip - 2010-12-08 4:11 PM
AbbieR -

I didn't want to look silly and ask... but when I googled "WWB" I didn't get much clarification...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1076&bih=598&q=WWB&aq=f&aqi=g1g-s1g4g-s1g-c1g1g-s1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Go to Abbie's albums - you will see shots of said WWB

Oh - I see! I'm suprised I didn't figure that out, I've known about wicked weasel for years!

http://wickedweasel.com/en

For everyones viewing and shopping pleasures!
2010-12-09 9:02 AM

Expert
Just don't go here at work:  http://wickedweasel.com/en
2010-12-09 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3242565

Elite
Ontario, Canada

cayrip - 2010-12-09 10:02 AM Just don't go here at work:  http://wickedweasel.com/en[/QUOTE]

I beat you to it! Laughing

2010-12-09 9:04 AM

Elite
Ontario, Canada

As FHM magazine puts it, "NSFW".

They always have website recommendations and NSFW you can look at when at home or hidden away in the office.

2010-12-09 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3242568

Expert
mbasta - 2010-12-09 8:03 AM

cayrip - 2010-12-09 10:02 AM Just don't go here at work:  http://wickedweasel.com/en[/QUOTE]

I beat you to it! Laughing

I'll work on my speed...    !!!!!
2010-12-09 9:14 AM

Expert

I found another positive from this weight loss challenge.  I have a correlation between weight loss and exercise.  Look at these graphs...my weight loss and gain is tied to my level of activity.  When I run, I lose weight, when I don't run I gain weight.

NOW I NEED TO BE A CONSISTENT RUNNER AGAIN!

2010-12-09 9:15 AM

New user
Wisconsin
Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't checked in much. I just have been so busy. 'Tis the season...

120.6 today.  I'm getting close!  I just need to avoid the (store bought) cookies at our caroling tonight and limit myself to the (yummy homemade) cookies at a Friday night cookie exchange. 

My workout plan includes 6x per week: 1 spin, 2 yoga, 1 strength training & 2 walk/run.

Congratulations to everyone who is losing and maintaining!  Both of those are so counter culture that you deserve extra kudos!

I think most people stick their heads in the sand until New Year's resolutions come around or complain but don't do anything about it. I have done both of those in years past.

Have a great day!

Debbie

2010-12-09 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3242572

Expert
mbasta - 2010-12-09 8:04 AM

As FHM magazine puts it, "NSFW".

They always have website recommendations and NSFW you can look at when at home or hidden away in the office.

Took me a while..Not Safe For Work (NSFW).  I'll have to check them out.  I actually had never been to the WW website before (I can't believe it myself knowing what kind of mind I have!    ).  I opened it up at work and instantly saw some R rated photos.  Yikes....good thing we don't have any web restrictions!  Something I'll have to browse from home for sure.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Challenge: Weight Loss During the Holiday Season Rss Feed  

of 23