General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Needing some advice from the lazy among us Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-10 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
Subject: Needing some advice from the lazy among us
Its been a few years since I did a tri...I really liked it...I did a few...but i fell off the wagon...er...bicycle...or...swimming pool...whatever the metaphor is...

I find that i dont have a lot of tools to maintain consistent motivation. But i stumbled onto something tri and i felt that pull again...that pull of really awesome people who tri...and i remembered how much i loved it and how much I liked myself when I was doing it...

So I'm considering starting again.

I'm considering this time doing things a little differently. Last time I got into tri, i got in full speed, burned out fast and my training was pretty lackluster...When it came to the races, I finished very close to last and none of what I did could have been considered swimming, biking or running. It was more like bobbing, spinning and waddling...but still. i give myself credit for finishing. There's just something in the back of my head that tells me the next tri i do can be different...and instead of there being a struggle between the fat and lazy me and triathlon, and seeing fat and lazy win...i'd really like to find that commitment and watch it change me...

Instead of approaching tri like i did last time...thinking that I was awesome and totally going to train like a beast...then shorting myself on the field...I want to anticipate the difficulties and plan around them.....

So I need some advice...for those of who you are intrinsically lazy or recovering couch potatoes...give me some advice...how do i overcome the very heavy, very powerful inner laziness....and really invest in this thing?

2010-11-10 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3204487

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Needing some advice from the lazy among us

Some ideas that I've used:

1.  Pick a reasonable training plan - not super aggressive, so that some of the workouts seem really easy.  It can't all be hard.

2.  Related, STICK TO said training plan.  Even if it's easy, it's better than nothing.  Consistent training makes it more fun, easier, and will make you feel really good.

3.  Tell everyone you know that you're signing up for a tri, actually sign up for something, and bring it up occasionally.  Your friends and family might keep tabs on you and the shame of not following through can be motivating.

How's that?

2010-11-10 10:38 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Yeah, what ^^^^ she said. Pick a plan that seems too easy, then stick to it. The "sticking to it" can be the hard part. But if you do stick to it long enough to establish the habit, then it really does become easy and enjoyable. Do that for a bit and then decided if you want more challenge.
2010-11-10 10:52 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Here's my two cents. (Probably about what the advice is worth, too)

Don't invest.

Throw away your watch.

When you go running, stop and smell the flowers. Pet the dogs. If you're breathing hard, slow down and walk. Finish feeling like you could have done a bit more.

When you go swimming, wear board shorts. Spend some time somersaulting at the wall instead of actually pushing off from a flip turn--just 'cause it's fun. Do some breaststroke and sidestroke. Enjoy the water. Relax in it. Go off the diving board.

When you go biking, bring a picnic lunch and a map. Get lost. Eat. Find your way back.

Do this all with other fun people. They'll bang on your window at 7am when you don't want to go out, but there are flowers to sniff, dogs to pet, and the donut shop to end up at.
2010-11-10 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3204543

BikerGrrrl - 2010-11-10 10:30 AM

Some ideas that I've used:

1.  Pick a reasonable training plan - not super aggressive, so that some of the workouts seem really easy.  It can't all be hard.

2.  Related, STICK TO said training plan.  Even if it's easy, it's better than nothing.  Consistent training makes it more fun, easier, and will make you feel really good.

3.  Tell everyone you know that you're signing up for a tri, actually sign up for something, and bring it up occasionally.  Your friends and family might keep tabs on you and the shame of not following through can be motivating.

How's that?

#3 X2!

2010-11-10 10:56 AM

User image

San Diego, CA
I coach a 5-year old girls soccer team,  which is a hoot in it's own right,  but I have found with them,  if you stop the drills a couple of minutes before they are ready to stop, rather than a couple of minutes too long and they are getting tired,  the next time around they are chomping at the bit to get to the drill rather than dreading how tired it is going to make them.

In other words,  ease into the training.  Leave yourself wanting a little more rather than being totally spent.  I am just like you as I get carried away,  go full out and burn myself out or injure myself.  Thus is my second round into training after having to take some time off after an injury.   I have really slowed down the progression,  and really have focused on balancing the three sports in order to not get burned out on one,  and it helps.  Rather than focusing on a specific goal,  consider it a lifestyle change, and you have the rest of your life to peak.  The races are just signposts in the ultimate goal of good health.

2010-11-10 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3204608

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-11-10 11:18 AM

Centennial CO
Do the monthly challenges.  Right now I want to stay home and take a nap but for my team I am heading to the gym.  Once the goals were out in public then it had to happen.
Next I am taking swim lessons to get that under control and motivate me to work harder.   The memory of my last tri  is also enough motivation to get out there and train.
2010-11-10 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3204608

Expert
Savannah
TriAya - 2010-11-10 11:52 AM Here's my two cents. (Probably about what the advice is worth, too)

Don't invest.

Throw away your watch.

When you go running, stop and smell the flowers. Pet the dogs. If you're breathing hard, slow down and walk. Finish feeling like you could have done a bit more.

When you go swimming, wear board shorts. Spend some time somersaulting at the wall instead of actually pushing off from a flip turn--just 'cause it's fun. Do some breaststroke and sidestroke. Enjoy the water. Relax in it. Go off the diving board.

When you go biking, bring a picnic lunch and a map. Get lost. Eat. Find your way back.

Do this all with other fun people. They'll bang on your window at 7am when you don't want to go out, but there are flowers to sniff, dogs to pet, and the donut shop to end up at.

Listen to this one ^^^.  She is knowledgeable far beyond her years!
2010-11-10 11:28 AM

Keep your posts shorter I'm to lazy to read it all.

All kidding aside, keep the training as the goal and the race as the icing on the cake.

For me staying in shape is the important thing, the race is what keeps me motivated to do it.

Good luck on the comeback!!

2010-11-10 11:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
Don't run/bike the same route each time.  I know it is "easier" if you have the distance all mapped out but if you go different routes it keeps your mind occupied and the ride/run is over before you know it.

2010-11-10 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3204702

Melon Presser
mktoson - 2010-11-11 12:26 AM
TriAya - 2010-11-10 11:52 AM Here's my two cents. (Probably about what the advice is worth, too)

Don't invest.

Throw away your watch.

Listen to this one ^^^.  She is knowledgeable far beyond her years!

Why, thank you!

{{{MELON PRESS}}}

You know, I'm almost your age now ... hoping to catch up soon!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Needing some advice from the lazy among us Rss Feed