General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Swim Breathing Thread - How to make it feel effortless Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-12-03 1:54 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: The Swim Breathing Thread - How to make it feel effortless
This is a combination of some breathing advice I've given in two recent threads. I decided to put them in their own thread for easy finding, and for specific comment or questions. I use these breathing descriptions and progressions not only in my own personal practice, but also in my four week triathlon swimming clinics.

Please let me know if this is helpful or not once you try it out in a pool. Also, there is a LOT of information here, every focal point mentioned could be used for it's own session for anywhere from 5 to 15 mintues of dedicated practice. Don't expect to work all the points well the first time you try. I use a similar progression in my swim workouts about once per week if not more often, or anytime I feel my breathing stroke is starting to break down.

Also, if you have additional breathing focal points, please post & share

Enjoy.

-----------
The most common breathing flaw is lifting the head, either partially or all the way out of the water. IN order to lift the head, another part of the body must compensate...your arm. The hand pushes straignt down to the bottom of the pool in order to "buoy" the head upwards. This robs your stroke the opportunity for a good catch and forward propulsion is lost while drag soars. You have at most 2-3 strokes to regain your balance & streamline before it's time to breath again.

Achieving a well balanced, streamlined breathing stroke starts with a "weightless" head. A weightless head is one that is entirely supported by the buoyant force of the water. if your head is fully supported, then your arms are freed of the duty to push down on the water to support your head. A weightless head enables weightless arms.

Weightless arms can float forward to part the water like a torpedo, (I often visualize the water parting for me like the Red Sea parted for moses!) and slowly create a hook shape (EVF) to catch the water in front of you. Introducing a moment of glide at the front extension of the stroke allows your palm/wrist/forearm to find the thickness of hte water and face towards your feet. This is the catch and will allow you to anchor your body in the water. The spearing of the opposite arm entering the water along with the core rotation supplied by your hips and 2 beat kcik is what will allow your body to sail forward over your arm in the catch position

The following drill can help you find this streamlined, balanced stroke during the breathing stroke as well. The progressoin here will help you find the weightless head, weightless arm combination. When I do the "nod" drill, I look for a sensation of having my head supported as if laying on a pillow...never lifting my head, but letting it "rest" on the support that the water itself provides. All tension should be gone from the neck as the head remains weightless both when looking strainght down at the bottom of the pool as well as during the "nod" and by extension, the breath.

The breathing pattern here is every 4th stroke, ie same side breathing, alternating between a "nod" (described below) and a "breath". Aim to have the same sensations described during the nod as during the breath. During the nod, it si much easier to relax since you are not also focused on getting air. You'll need to slow down your pace just a hair so that you are comfortable breathing every 4th stroke. The more relaxed you are the easier it is.

The "NOD".
While swimming in your STREAMLINED position, simply rotate your head 90 degrees towards the side of the pool, but don't breath. Just "nod" your head to the side. You should be able to do this without lifting your head out of the water, without changing the tempo of your stroke & without losign either your side to side or front to back balance.

Practice alternating a nod with a breath (you obvioulsly still need to breath).

As you practice your nod, pay attention to the following focal points (i.e. do 25 yd repetitions, choose one focus for each, and practice each focal point on both right side & left side)

#1) "I SPY" - what do you "spy" (see) when you turn your head to the side? Focus on the visual information that comes to you when you turn your head. Note that you don't have to linger to the side to gather information and process it in your mind. This is a good skill to hone for sighting as well.

#2) "SHIMMER" - focus on the shimmering underside of the water. it's just a hair further of a head turn than the "I SPY" focus you just did. Look at the underside of the water and enjoy it.

#3) "SO NEAR" - this time, look at the AIR just above the surface of the water. Look how near it is to your face...it's just a tiny bit further away (or it should be). It won't take much more rotation to just sip a little bite of air.

#4) "WAVES" - as you swim in a streamlined position, your head will form a bow wave, even when swimming slowly. The bow wave will not be there if you are lifting your head out of hte water to breath. Well, it will, but you'll be putting your face right into it. With this repetition, turn your head just a littel further and look for the wave that forms around your head & face. Don't try to breath with this nod, just LOOK at the wave

THere are half a dozen more focal points you could work on while practicing breathing, but the above four should really help you "tune in" to what a proper streamlined breath should feel like.

Inevitably when I've done a progression like the one above, my next few 100s have seamless breathing. My fastest 25s have come breathing every 2 strokes after doing a progression like this. Keep practicing the "NOD", and soon your breathing stroke will feel just as streamlined, long and fast as your non-breathing stroke.

2010-12-03 2:04 AM
in reply to: #3234974

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: The Swim Breathing Thread - How to make it feel effortless
Wow, that's gotta be a record...six minutes and the post has had 40 views already.
2010-12-03 7:31 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

2010-12-03 8:39 AM

Good info. Do you have any treads I could read on the proper kick?
2010-12-03 8:59 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-12-03 8:59 AM

Regular
New swim drills! Thank you, I've been working on not lifting my whole face out of the water for a breath, I think this will definately help.

2010-12-03 11:46 AM

Veteran
Fort Wayne IN
This is great, I was just working on some breathing stuff this morning and was planning to find a cool new drill today! Thank you
2010-12-03 11:58 AM

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Thanks for taking the time to share.
2010-12-03 12:16 PM

Veteran

idiot newbie swimmer question:

"The breathing pattern here is every 4th stroke"

I assume you mean taking an actual breath every 4 strokes - so you are either "nodding" or "breathing" on one side for every stroke (for me, I breathe when my left arm is out of the water/right in front - so every time my left hand comes up, I would be doing one of the two)

Yes?  no?  I'm too newbie to know what I'm talking about?

Thanks - I'm gonna print this off and play with it.  haha - I need all the help I can get!

2010-12-03 12:37 PM

Master
Just South of Boston
video of this drill would be great to see
2010-12-03 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3235616

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
rbtrumpet - 2010-12-03 11:16 AM

idiot newbie swimmer question:

"The breathing pattern here is every 4th stroke"

I assume you mean taking an actual breath every 4 strokes - so you are either "nodding" or "breathing" on one side for every stroke (for me, I breathe when my left arm is out of the water/right in front - so every time my left hand comes up, I would be doing one of the two)

Yes?  no?  I'm too newbie to know what I'm talking about?

Thanks - I'm gonna print this off and play with it.  haha - I need all the help I can get!

I'm not the OP, but that's the way I read it. First time your left hand comes up, breath. Next time your left hand comes up, nod...etc.  That's the way I understood it.

Excellent post. My swim this morning was focused on form and I was thinking "gee, I need a good drill to help me keep my head down"...and here it is. Thank you for sharing this. I can't wait to try it!

2010-12-03 1:33 PM

Veteran
Thanks AdventureBear.  Sounds like awesome advice.

I've been getting faster in the pool but my technique has not really improved any based on video that I recently took.  The girlfriend filmed me and pointed out that my breathing was a main issue for me - primarily lifting my head.  

Something is causing a severe hip sway and scissor kick.  From the looks, it's slowing me down tons.

I'm going start implementing these into my swims that I do outside of Masters Swimming.

Edited by mrpetey 2010-12-03 1:34 PM
2010-12-03 1:38 PM

Master
PNW
Awesome post!

I feel pretty good about my breathing, so I'm looking forward to trying this to see where I can get some improvement.  BUT, even more importantly, I agreed to help my non-swimming husband with his breathing this weekend...so this gives me a good place from which to do that.

Thanks!
2010-12-03 2:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
Excellent post.  There is one thing that coaches seem to overlook that IMO is critical...breathing pattern is controlled by the exhale NOT the inhale.  The moment the mouth re-enters the water after the inhale, the swimmer should begin a comfortable exhale.  Just prior to the lungs being emptied, the swimmer should begin the rotation to initiate the inhale.  Breath should never be held and the exhale should not be uncomfortable.  Too many swimmers get caught up in "I breath every 3rd stroke", etc.  This leads to an unnatural breathing pattern and is not efficient.  Using the exhale as the controlling factor is also another reason to learn bilateral breathing. 
2010-12-03 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3235649

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Mike_D - 2010-12-03 11:37 AM

video of this drill would be great to see

You can find video of the nod drill in Total Immersion's Perpetual Motion Freestyle DVD. (totalimmersion.net) I believe it's introduced in lesson two. The focuses I wrote about here are in addition to some of what is discussed in the DVD.
2010-12-03 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3235696

Coach
Stairway to Seven
syscrash - 2010-12-03 12:06 PM
I'm not the OP, but that's the way I read it. First time your left hand comes up, breath. Next time your left hand comes up, nod...etc.  That's the way I understood it.

Excellent post. My swim this morning was focused on form and I was thinking "gee, I need a good drill to help me keep my head down"...and here it is. Thank you for sharing this. I can't wait to try it!

Yes, this is correct. Except I usually nod first, then breath.

2010-12-03 4:24 PM

Master
White Plains NY
thanks for the swim drill! will have to try this one out
2010-12-03 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3235824

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-12-03 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3236020

Coach
Stairway to Seven
triarcher - 2010-12-03 3:25 PM

This is an excellent post.  I find that the exhale underwater also helps with timing.  You start feeling a groove and it creates a way to gauge your pace.  My master's coach really helped me with this.  My comfort level went way up once I stopped holding my breath under water. 

After practicing the above drills for a month or so, I had the amazing sensation of being able to breath underwater. My oxygen intake & CO2 exhalation needs were perfectly matched with my level of exertion & breathing pattern that it was completely seamless. I've only had that sensation once for about 5 seconds...and I constantly seek to get it back!
2010-12-03 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3236031

Extreme Veteran

I just came back from trying this out.  I have to admit I only remembered the I Spy and the Shimmer part, but it really made my swim feel effortless.  I don't know if looking for the shimmer is supposed to make you slow done just slightly, but it did for me, thus taking less effort and making the length *way* more enjoyable!

Thanks!!

2010-12-03 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3236045

Coach
Stairway to Seven
tracyhmcd - 2010-12-03 3:54 PM

I just came back from trying this out.  I have to admit I only remembered the I Spy and the Shimmer part, but it really made my swim feel effortless.  I don't know if looking for the shimmer is supposed to make you slow done just slightly, but it did for me, thus taking less effort and making the length *way* more enjoyable!

Thanks!!

Awesome! So good to hear! Keep incorporating those, plus the other two and your breathign will just keep getting etter & better. For me, when I use these focuses, it actually increases my turnover a bit, as it's easier to keep the streamline when I move a little faster, but everyone will be different. It also depends on where you are starting from...some folks could benefit by slowing down tempo and improving form before increasing the tempo again. For me, I needed some specific foci to hold onto while I increased my rate. These breathing focuses work well for that.

2010-12-07 7:10 PM

Veteran
wow - I just tried a bit of this technique (in my super-short 5 lap swim).  I managed to take about 5 seconds off my 100 yard time, without changing anything but my head position.  

And that was with sharing a lane with someone who was alternating between a very large butterfly stroke and freestyle, but somehow managing to kick hard enough to splash 2 lanes over while freestyling....
2010-12-07 11:08 PM
in reply to: #3240489

Coach
Stairway to Seven
rbtrumpet - 2010-12-07 6:10 PM

wow - I just tried a bit of this technique (in my super-short 5 lap swim).  I managed to take about 5 seconds off my 100 yard time, without changing anything but my head position.  

And that was with sharing a lane with someone who was alternating between a very large butterfly stroke and freestyle, but somehow managing to kick hard enough to splash 2 lanes over while freestyling....

Ahhh...warm fuzzies... Congrats
2010-12-08 6:33 AM

Bronze member
Thanks for the info! How many laps of my workout should I give to this drill? I ususally swim around 2000-2500 meters in my swim workouts.

Excellent post.  There is one thing that coaches seem to overlook that IMO is critical...breathing pattern is controlled by the exhale NOT the inhale.  The moment the mouth re-enters the water after the inhale, the swimmer should begin a comfortable exhale.  Just prior to the lungs being emptied, the swimmer should begin the rotation to initiate the inhale.  Breath should never be held and the exhale should not be uncomfortable.  Too many swimmers get caught up in "I breath every 3rd stroke", etc.  This leads to an unnatural breathing pattern and is not efficient.  Using the exhale as the controlling factor is also another reason to learn bilateral breathing. 

I will work on this comment too. I have to really concentrate on my exhale - it is a very shallow exhale and I wind up feeling like I am not "really" breathing at all. Just taking in air when I turn my head and not really letting it out.  

So much of my swim for fitness class for the last two years concentrated on only hammering out speed sets. Coach would write drills on the board but I did not fully understand what the focus of the drills was supposed to be. I really feel like I'm learning a lot more on my own from reading this forum. Although if I'm left to train myself I do not choose to do speedwork very often Back to swim for fitness in January.
2010-12-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3240740

Coach
Stairway to Seven
trigal38 - 2010-12-08 5:33 AM

Thanks for the info! How many laps of my workout should I give to this drill? I ususally swim around 2000-2500 meters in my swim workouts.

I will work on this comment too. I have to really concentrate on my exhale - it is a very shallow exhale and I wind up feeling like I am not "really" breathing at all. Just taking in air when I turn my head and not really letting it out.  

So much of my swim for fitness class for the last two years concentrated on only hammering out speed sets. Coach would write drills on the board but I did not fully understand what the focus of the drills was supposed to be. I really feel like I'm learning a lot more on my own from reading this forum. Although if I'm left to train myself I do not choose to do speedwork very often Back to swim for fitness in January.

Trigal, glad it helped you! Generally I will work on a dedicated breathing session about once a week or whenver I feel like my breathing is getting poor (for example, if I'm working on swimming 200s at a faster pace than usual, and my breathing gets shaggy near the end, then I'll focus on these stroke thoughts during the set, or take a break and do it as a dedicated set).

In general, at any given swim session, work on a skill set like this until you feel like you've eeked out all the improvement you can comfortably manage for that day. This may mean you do one stroke thought for 5 minutes and your brain gets tired of thinking...put it aside, swim your set & come back to it the next time. This may mean you swim an entire 1500 yard practice full of nothing but varoius lengths of swim breathing thoughts.

I find that when I am really in tune with my breathing, swimming feels effortless and way more fun that it normally does. Sometimes I will spend the whole workout doing these skills and leave the pool smiling. Other days you'll just not have the level of concentration in you that it takes to spend a lot of time on it.

But if you want a firm number....I'd say do 2 x 25 of each skill I wrote about, one dedicated to the left side & one dedicated to the right side...at a miniumum.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Swim Breathing Thread - How to make it feel effortless Rss Feed  

of 2