first place run
43F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = 668/882
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 75/100
Pre-race routine:

Walking around trying to find a warm place. Finally found it in the gym. The wind was COLD.
Event warmup:

Not too much, used the first 2 miles as my warmup.
Run
  • 4h 36m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Miles 1-5: Felt good, legs took some time to warm up. HR was a little high, but I was fighting the onset of a chest cold.
Miles 6-10: Still feeling good. Legs were turning over nicely. HR was still high (around 160-165. should have been closer to 150-155)
Miles 6-15: Running strong. Dropped the pace down according to plan. Was right on target for goal time. HR had stabalized at 160. But it still hadn't warmed up and there were patches of light rain and drizzle.
Miles 15-20: Mile 18 legs started getting heavy and stiff. Could still maintain pace, but w/ increased effort.
Miles 20-26: No longer able to maintain pace. pace was hovering around 10'/mile now. At 21.5 miles my right IT band tightened up to the point that it hurt to run. Ran/walked to mile 23. Slow jog in for the last 5k with a couple of small walk breaks. The range of emotions from mile 20-25 were crazy. I realized that my goal time was out of reach, but I didn't want to quit. But my legs were shot and just had to gut it the rest of the way.

What would you do differently?:

Check the weather the morning of the event and dress according. Was dressed for snnny and low to mid 50s. I was not dressed for overcast, wind, light rain and low to mid 40s. I think the cold damp temps is what finally zapped my legs.
Post race
Warm down:

Fell to the ground and hugged my legs into my chest. My legs were cold and in pain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Chest cold + colder than expected temps.

Event comments:

Flat course...great course if you're fast. Not much post-race was going on. May have been due to the cold weather.

Last updated: 2010-08-18 12:00 AM
Running
04:36:27 | 26.2 miles | 10m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 75/100
Overall: 668/882
Performance: Below average
Course: Started and finished at Bolles High School. North to South and back course along San Jose Blvd.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-12-20 8:26 AM

Veteran
indian land, South Carolina
Subject: jacksonville bank marathon

2010-12-21 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3254604

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: jacksonville bank marathon
Marathons rarely go as planned in my experience - but you had a great time for your first! I know it might not have been what you expected, but you should be very proud and now you know what to expect at your IM! Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » jacksonville bank marathon Rss Feed