General Discussion Race Reports! » Bakers Healthy Start Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bakers Healthy Start Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Bellingham, Wash.
United States
Baker Breakfast Cookies
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 14/16
Pre-race routine:

Don't have one, except to try and get there early so I can fiddle around and fidget. Had to wipe bike down, wet from the night dew.
Event warmup:

Few halfass stretches. Saw local people that I know, said a couple of hiyas.
Swim
  • 34m 15s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

No warmup at all. Haven't swam since last saturday in the pool. When I had the tweaky pec muscle (no factor today). Did 3 stroke bilateral breathing the whole way (couple times had to use same side and watch other swimmer overtake me). Drank some lake water here and there. Nice Temprature for the water. Very comfortable. Elite Division went with Tri Suits. Most Age groupers went with Wetsuits, since the sun was just coming up. Tried drafting off one guy, but he seemed to swim in a very erratic course, and I could never pass him. Weird how you can be on a straight line, and have swimmers on both sides veering into you. Everyone has a different course. On the first lap re-entered the water with a dive (just like the elite)
What would you do differently?:

T1 only had one porta John, so went down to boat ramp area where they had 5 set up. Of course my little lady/coach/cheer sqaud ask me where the camera was. Back up in T1 in my bag. So I was rushed the last 20minutes before start.

I'm going to say it was a great swim for me. On little training, especially OWS. All freestyle, except for a few times I had to check up to not run into another swimmer. More swimming, More swimming will help. Noticed my form getting sloppy a few times.

After the start, I remembered I had the timing chip on my ankle. But I had the weird thought that it was loose, wanted to fidget with it but didn't. Kept thinking about it getting lost (I loose focus on stupid things) Did check it boat ramp exit on first lap.
Transition 1
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

I thought about doing the drop squat on the boat ramp to get my top off. The water helps push it up over head. But ran to T1 instead, thought I could get it off with the arm cross over pull. Tried twice, got pissedoff. Ended up just pulling it straight off. Bib came off pretty easy. Just stepped on legs and pulled. Grass all over the place. Put both HR and watch on. Put bike shoes on and trotted to the bike start line. Already hat Tri Top and HR strap on underneath wetsuit.

Either pull top off while in water or I have to look into the zipper tops That De Soto has. Tried some BodyGlide, didn't seem to notice a difference. Trotted the whole way to T1
Bike
  • 1h 16m 57s
  • 24 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I kept thinking during the swim, that I couldn't wait to ride a bike. Like it's my strength??? Concerned about drafting, so I was very conscious about other riders and how close to get (Where is that official on the motorcycle?). For the first 10 miles, tried to stay in second ring, keep a high cadence/spin. Did maintain about 18-20+ mph mostly flat. Knowledge of course really helped. Thanked volunteers/cops and locals that were watching from their yards. Passed more riders than who passed me. Drank two bottles of Perpetuam mix...Air was cool so really never felt hot. Thought about if I only had Aerobars, I could get more speed? And I remember to spin a little bit at the end to prepare for the run. Looked forward to it.

Maybe learn the art of leaving shoes on the pedals and slip feet in and out. Very happy. Besides just RIDE LOTS.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

As soon as I got on the dry grass, slipped shoes off and ran barefoot. After racking bike, dug my socks out of my bag and sat down on my wet towel? Tried to get sock on, realized foot was damp and sock was not going on smoothly. Said HECK with it! Run without socks. Made that decisive decision. Started for exit to run, thinking their is something missing, OH HAT! But was already 20 yards from area, Second desisive decision. Don't need it. Grabbed a gatorade drink, only took one swallow and ran on.

Figure the sock thing, either prepare for no socks in Olympic or shorter races. Have hat more readily available? I put one Hammergel in shirt, never did use it.
Was a little lost getting out to course. Need to preview it better before a race.
Run
  • 55m 13s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off slow (i thought) first mile was 8:14. So I don't think i clicked my watch at the right time. Still maybe around 9:00. At half mile, felt the calves do the tighten up thingy. But kept a short and choppy stride and powered through it. Kept a good steady pace, felt good, drank a swallow of water and poured the rest on head. Since it was two loops, had people doing their second loop as I was starting first. So lot of passing. Controlled the desire to tag along with their pace. Felt good when I passed people with lower age written on left calf. Didn't feel bad when a younger person passed me. Remembered to take off sunglasses and keep head up for cameras.

Haven't done that much running training, so that can improve things. Felt good, happy with the time and effort. Nice finish, not a sprint but a steady up tempo finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Let my dog lick my face. Wandered the expo with coach/little lady.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited training since my last road race on July 7. Biking has probably been the strongest.

Event comments:

Excellent Race. Will do it next year.

Last updated: 2005-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:15 | 1500 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: De Soto T1
Course: Two 750m laps. Triangle course, exit at boat ramp and reentry. Sun was in the eyes for one section of Triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:57 | 24 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
HR seemed to stay in the 150. Started off around 160 when I left T1. Saw 172 one time on a hill.
Wind: None
Course: City street, mostly country roads. An out an back route with some long uphill grades. And roller hills for nice downhill stretches. The roads are all the PeaGravel type surface.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:13 | 06.2 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Maintained an average HR around the 154, little higher on some of the small hills.
Course: Two loops of an out an back city street along the lake. Rolly small hills, sunny spots and shaded stretches. Good aid stations
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-07 9:27 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Bakers Healthy Start Foundation Triathlon
Times are unofficial and I didn't have a pencil to write anything down this afternoon. Nothing has been posted on the web yet. More info will be updated as I find it.

Edited by BellinghamSpence 2005-08-07 9:29 PM

2005-08-08 10:01 AM
in reply to: #218912

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Subject: RE: Bakers Healthy Start Foundation Triathlon
Great race!  I went down to watch again this year.  It seems like such a fun race.  I think I might do it next year.  I thought it was interesting you had to get out of the water after the first lap and then dive back in.  I guess it is to make sure everyone does the full two laps.  Did you get any good stuff in your goodie bag?
2005-08-08 10:18 AM

Champion
That was a good race, especially the bike and run splits. Even the dog got to enjoy the salt!
2005-08-08 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

I wish I had your run.  I held off answering your drafting queston because I ddn't want to mess with your head, apparently you did that yourself.  I guess the first thing would be most refs aren't going to call it exactly by the book.  Technically if you enter the draft zone (the 3 bike lengths of space) you need to make sure you can pass the guy and do it in 15 seconds.  Legally you cannot start the pass and then drop back.  Once in the draft zone the only legal way out is through the front.  What happens if the guy you are trying to pass speeds up and you can't break the plane of his front tire?  Well, that's called racing!! 

Just don't suck someone's wheel or block on the left and you'll be alright.

2005-08-09 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Very strong race Spence!  You're going to be SO ready for IMCDA next year!  Congrats on a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bakers Healthy Start Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed