5430 Sports
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 05m 11s
Overall Rank = 472/554
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/16
Pre-race routine:

I don't have the official time results yet. By my watch, my finish time was 7:05:11. I'll update actual times when I get them.

Got up at 3:00 AM to be ready to leave Lone Tree by 4:00. At my usual PB&J bagel and coffee for breakfast, packed the car and hit the road.
Event warmup:

We got to the rez just before 5 am. It was still pretty dark out. I didn't really do much of a warm-up. I stretched for about 5 minutes and then swam about 50 yards. I stayed in the water and chatted with others until start time.
Swim
  • 48m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was wonderful. It was warmer in the water than it was out. The swim start was a little hard. The sun was directly over the bouys and it was hard to see them. I think I was all over the place but I couldn't tell. I just followed everybody else. After the first turn it was better.

I was very happy with my swim. Although it took me longer than I thought, I felt very comfortable - even when I was being overtaken and bumped around by the wave behind me, I didn't panic.

This was absoultely my best swim ever. I'm so proud of myself for overcoming my fear of the water.
What would you do differently?:

At times I would catch myself swimming with very poor form - not extending and reaching ahead. I have to work on improving form throughout the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

T1 was okay. Everything with smoothly but I had to sit down to take off my wetsuit. I didn't wear my bike shorts under my wetsuit because they have such heavy padding. They stuck to my legs a little because I was still wet.

I have trouble running with my bike. I walked quickly and mounted okay.

I forgot to eat my gel before I left T1. I am such a dork when it comes to eating anything on my bike. It took some time for me to get the first gel down - I had to ride a little slower while I was eating eat.

Wear bike shorts under wetsuit. Run w/my bike. Eat a gel BEFORE I get on my bike.
Bike
  • 3h 21m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I kept telling myself that this race was just a training session for IM Canada. I regulated my pace well but at times it was a little harder than I expected. My crotch was killing me by mile 40. I have to figure out how to manage this??? I felt like my legs lacked power on some portiions of the ride. I have to figure out what the problem is with that.

I forgot to get gel at the first 2 stations. Luckily I had a Powerbar in my bento box to tide me over.

I dropped my chain in the middle of a hill!!! It took me forever to get it back on.

Overall, I had a blast on the bike. It's a great course and I loved the downhills. I'm usually wimpy about going fast downhill but I got up to 40 mph!!! I felt like a little kid out playing on by bike.

Find the right bike shorts to manage crotch pain. Work on Changing gears more smoothly. I think that's why my chain dropped.

Make sure I get gel at every station!!
Transition 2
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

I felt like a had a good transition. It seemed quick but I'm not sure. I had to sit down to put my shoes on.

Loosen my laces more to make it easier to get shoes on.
Run
  • 2h 48m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is my biggest challenge. I just have a mental block about everything related to running. I felt great all the way around the first loop but I kept taking walking breaks. When I started running again I would run too fast then too slowly. The second loop started out really hard. Kurt was there too motivate me. That was really special and meant a lot to me!! Two of my friends also showed up - Lori and Laura - they pushed me and cheered me on.

I wanted to simulate my IM pace so I kept telling myself not to push too hard. Overall, I think my run was okay. If I can do the same thing at IM I'll be okay.

I did have a problem holding down the Gatorade and Clif Shots. I'm used to red Gatorade and Power Gel. I thought I was going to hurl a couple of times but I didn't. I had to dilute the Gatorade w/water and only eat half a pack of Clif shot at a time.

To stay cool I put ice down my running top and sucked on a mouthfull of ice for as long as it would last. Thank God they had ice!!!!! It really helped a lot!

I wouldn't take so many walking breaks and I would control my pace better.

Maybe I'll take my own gel if its different that what I'm used to or find out what they will have on the course and experiment with it before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

After getting to the finish line (finally!) I walked around a little and found some shade. My hamstrings and calves were popping and threatening to pull so I stretched them out really good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat on the run was limiting. My mentality about running played a big factor. I need to work on it.

Event comments:

This was a good race. Very organized with great volunteers. I was shooting for 6.5 to 7 hours to finish. I'll take 7:05! This was meant to be a training session and it served me well. It gave me added confidence that I CAN finish a full IM.

Last updated: 2005-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:12 | 2112 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/554
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: One rectangular loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:21:59 | 56 miles | 16.64 mile/hr
Overall: 480/554
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop course. Started at Boulder rez. Slight uphill grade before a few rollers. Nice downhills before heading back to more small hills and back into the rez.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:48:08 | 13.1 miles | 12m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 449/554
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop course. Mostly dirt trail. A few small hills. Absolutely no shade!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-08 7:46 AM

User image

Regular
Lone Tree, CO
Subject: 5430 1/2 IM

2005-08-08 9:23 AM
in reply to: #219070

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: 5430 1/2 IM

Awesome job Janine!  I forgot about the sun....that was REALLY hard to sight for the whole way out looking straight into the sun!  If I saw arms, I figured I was going the right way!

You did great!  When you do your IM, there will be changing tents so you won't have to worry about wearing bike shorts during the swim.  And I recommend getting Chamois Butt'r....it helps!  but you have to wait to put it on after the swim, otherwise, it's all gone!

congratulations!

2005-08-08 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Nice job Janine!! Your time is great for a "training" race - looks like this'll help you get in racing mode for IM Canada!
2005-08-11 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Janine, great race! Congratulations on overcoming fear of water! What is the secret? I need to overcome it for my next race.
Nice job on the bike too.
Your run time was good considering you had to walk part of it!
It is great that you are doing IM!
Good luck!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 1/2 IM Rss Feed