Sportspectrum
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 17/47
Pre-race routine:

We drove 6 hours from Round Rock to Bossier City on Friday for the IronFish kids triathlon (my 8 year old daughters 1st Tri) and spent the night in the River Cities Tri host Hotel- Holiday Inn Bossier City. The Hotel is 30 minutes from the race site and central to alot of restaurants and activities.
Event warmup:

I was in the 11th and last wave so my warm-up before the race started didn't do much---.5 mile easy run, so I swam a couple hard 50 yard pick-ups about 2 waves before my start.
Swim
  • 15m 49s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started second row to the front behind a group of 5-6 guys. My plan was to start strong and try to draft off this group since they looked like decent swimmers. After the first 50 meters a sighted to see how I was with the group and noticed that they had dropped me. I was in a group of 4-5 others and stayed with them until the first turn and then we started to spread out. I had the funniest thing happen to me on the swim that has never happened before and I was not prepared for it and it through me off for awhile. I sneezed while swimming! Totally unexpected and violently into the water. I startled me and made me laugh at the amount of air that came out. I had to briefly stop my stroke and do about 4-5 breast strokes to get my breathing back. After that, I had a ok swim but not what I wanted (14 minutes).
What would you do differently?:

Not much, wish I was in an earlier wave?
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Long run into T1 from the beach but had a pool to clean off the sand on the run. My bike was on the last rack from the entrance but close to the exit. I had a good transition getting on my glasses and helmet. My shoes were on my pedals and rubberbanded into place.

Nothing
Bike
  • 50m 18s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 21.71 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first race on my new bike (Cervelo P3 SL-2004) with Zipp 909 wheels. The disc was awesome and helpful on the downhill and straight aways. I was passing people constantly. I had 4-5 guys in my AG pass me but 3 of them were in a pace line and, I think, they got penalties based on the results. I dropped my Accel gel at mile 10 and started to bonk towards the end but had fun on the last segment as we had cars on the course and I was able to pass a Porche! Boy did that feel good.

Have a back-up Accel gel and go harder when drinking.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Another good transition and it felt good to get into my area and not see many bikes on the racks. Shoes on (no socks) race belt on and hat on with no problems. I had put down an extra Accel gel and took off with it as I left T2. I had trouble opening the package, probably from the near bonk, and had to stop running and walk to the water station.

Not walk as I ate the Accel gel that I needed so badly.
Run
  • 31m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

The knot in my left quad is still flaring up with intense exercise and it started to hurt after 1 mile. I tried to run through it and let the Accel gel hit my system. I also tried to stick to just water on the 5k (piece of advice from a Pro Triathlete for sprints) but they had Amino Vital on the run course and it was difficult to tell one from the other (both are clear). A nice benefit of the course were ice cold towels at one water stop. That help revive me and I pretty much ran the rest of the way at a faster pace. The only complaint I have of the course is the finish on the run. I don't like having the last part of the race downhill ( I like the downhill part) and in the sand. The last 50 yards were in 5-6 inch sand on the beach and it was hard and seemed dangerous as people were sprinting down the hill to the finish.

Take Accel gel sooner than T2 and increase my run training.
Post race
Warm down:

Jumped in the lake!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dropped Accel gel on the bike, slightly tight left quad and not enough fast twitch muscle fibers.

Event comments:

There is a reason why this is the #1 rated Sprint triathlon in the South and one of the top ten Triathlons in the USA. The goody bag is, BY FAR, the best goody bag you will get. The swim is well marked and easy to sight. The bike course is on another level from other races. It's simply made for Triathlons. It would be incredile if all traffic was diverted but understand you can't do that. The run was shaded and well marked with plenty of aid stations and cold towels soaking in ice. If you are looking for a race that has all that a race should have, this is it. Also, the kids race on Saturday was a dream for my 8 year old's first triathlon. She says she is hooked for life!

Last updated: 2005-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:49 | 880 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/47
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot Tri Suit
Course: Clockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:50:18 | 18.2 miles | 21.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/47
Performance: Good
Noticed my HR was in Z4 early on then settled down after I got going.
Wind: None
Course: This is one awesome bike course! Shaded mostly, rolling hills but nothing too steep and long parts of flat to slightly downhill!!!!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:59 | 03.11 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/47
Performance: Below average
Course: Shaded on park roads and some trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-08 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: River Cities Triathlon

2005-08-08 6:26 PM
in reply to: #219802

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: River Cities Triathlon
Awesome race and you are right on about your comments about the quality of the course and the goody bag. Great job on the Porche, I only got to pass a mini van.
2005-08-08 7:11 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Sounds like you had an awesome race! Congrats!
2005-08-08 7:16 PM

Elite Veteran
What a great race you had!!! Congrats. Your swim and bike times are phenomenal. At least I know a fellow BT'er passed me on the bike. At one point I wanted to ask a rider if any clydes were behind me because I sure got passed a lot.

Looks like these longer swim and bike courses really play to your strengths. You did well!

Next race? TexasMan?
2005-08-09 9:20 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Great Race!

I am glad to hear you enjoyed it.

There is a duathlon (5K - 18.2 Mile - 5K) in January on the same bike course. Lots of fun and great SWAG.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed