United States
Sportspectrum
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/63
Pre-race routine:

Woke up after a good night of sleeping. Clif Bar, Bottle of Water. Off to race site.

Waited a little while in the line to get into the site.
Event warmup:

Stretching
10 mins of jogging.
5 mins on the bike
2 mins of swim.

Walked around talking with BTers and locals.
Swim
  • 21m 21s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first OW race. I was banging into a lot of people at first. I was trying to not get kicked in the face.

My googles leaked, so I took them off (the strap was under my swim cap, so I didn't lose them). It was hard to sight after that.

What would you do differently?:

Swim more before to make sure the googles don't leak.

Sight better. Draft Better
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

I was a little dazed coming out of the water. Even my wife noticed. My vision was a little blurry, so I took a few extra seconds to regain composure before getting out of T1.

Socks on, Shoes on, Took my gel and off I went.

Not too much except have a small towel to dry my feet off with.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 18.2 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I was having a great ride for me. Averaging about 19 mph. I got to about mile 7-7.5 and then BOOM front tube blew. Changed the flat. Put the tire back on the bike. BOOM another blown tube. Change the flat again. BOOM. THE THIRD TUBE BLEW.

Put the bike on my shoulder and carried it to the turn. Put it in the back of the truck. Rode the motorcyle back. Turned over my chip for a DNF.

I got new tires 2 weeks ago. This was the 5TH blown tube. After the first 2, I took it back to the LBS and the mechanic said that I was getting pinch flats. He showed me how to install the tube with the folding tires. Installed the tube for me. So when it blew up, I knew that it had been installed correctly.

I took it back yesterday. He examines it more closely and finds out that I have a defective tire. He gives me and installs a brand new tire and gives me 4 new tubes to replace the blown tubes. The guy felt really bad about my DNF, because he should have caught it last week.

If it happens again, they are going to give me different tires. My LBS is a first class store.

Not FLAT.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 30m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I went ahead and ran the course even though I didn't get an official time. I walked parts of it, because my mind was shot after the DNF.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, Bananna, Hamburger

Hung out with the wife and said goodbye to the BTers before leaving to go to my FF draft.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My tires and swimming technique

Event comments:

Sportspectrum puts on the best races.

Last updated: 2005-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:21 | 880 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 57/63
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Triangle Swim. Buoys on the right. Well marked
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 18.2 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/63
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Nice course with hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:43 | 03.11 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/63
Performance: Average
Course: Shaded with a section of trail running.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-09 9:50 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Subject: River Cities Triathlon

2005-08-09 10:03 AM
in reply to: #220375

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: River Cities Triathlon

Really sorry you had so much trouble on the bike, so much of this is out of our control, just a real shame it happened on race day. Way to hang in and knock the run out anyway.

Thanks again for arranging all the BT get togethers. Great meeting you and the wife, best of luck with that new baby. If you get a chance, come on down to watch CajunMan, I'm sure we'll have similar BT encounters, wifey is talking about getting everyone over to the house.

I'm sure going to look into doing that Frost Your Fanny in January!

2005-08-09 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
What a huge bummer..

Lots of training.. preparing and getting a DNF because of equipment..

Way to stick it out and finish the run!

It was great meeting you and your wife and again, thanks for being our local contact and helping us out-of-towners out.

Now i guess it is time to get ready for next year huh? If I can get my running up to par I might consider the frost yer fanny as well.. I also have a friend who is about to get a bike and train for some tris that may come as well.. We'll see where that goes..

Again.. great to meet yall and maybe next time we'll have a chance to visit some more.

ws
2005-08-09 11:40 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Oooh that's so disappointing. At least it sounds like you have a first class LBS. And way to go finishing the race even if your official result is DNF.

Jen
2005-08-09 6:21 PM

Elite Veteran
Michael, I'm so sorry you had such troubles on the bike course. Hopefully, this happened before the hills...

I figure the longer we race, the more likely we're going to encounter a "not your day" sort of race. The good news is that you got yours out of the way early.

A guy passed me with a fancy bike and said "looking good" and I said "you too" and he said that he'd had two flats before speeding off into the horizon.

Did you know how to change a flat before the race? If so, I'm sure you just got better at it. Before the bear yells at me, I've never changed one so I really need to practice it in light of your experience.

Is this your last race of the season, or can I talk you into trying the Nachitoches Meat Pie tri? (FYI, babies are either 2 weeks early or two weeks late so don't worry about such a trifling thing as your wife's due date ). Thanks for being such a good Shreveport ambassador.
2005-08-09 7:25 PM
in reply to: #221055

Master
Shreveport, LA
lynda - 2005-08-09 6:21 PM
Hopefully, this happened before the hills...

In between the hills. I was almost at the turn. (~Mile 7-8)

Did you know how to change a flat before the race?

Changed many flats. The first few were because of hole in my back tire, which is why I bought new tires, which caused the next 5 flats. So I have plenty of practice.

Is this your last race of the season, or can I talk you into trying the Nachitoches Meat Pie tri? (FYI, babies are either 2 weeks early or two weeks late so don't worry about such a trifling thing as your wife's due date ). Thanks for being such a good Shreveport ambassador.

Last tri for the year. I am doing the Tour de Goodwill and some 5K, 10Ks, and 1/2 Marathon, but no more multisport until Frost Yer Fanny.

Are you signing up for the Goodwill? If so, make sure you sign up on Team www.beginnertriathlete.com. Email or PM me if you need instructions on how to.

Thanks everyone for the encouragment.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed