General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoe question - support vs neutral shoe? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-28 11:00 AM

Veteran
Subject: Shoe question - support vs neutral shoe?
I am trying to determine if I'd be better off in a stability shoe or a neutral shoe.  I have very high arches and according to Roadrunner Sport's (in-store, not online) analysis, the majority of my foot doesn't overpronate, but I twist (aka, overpronate) as I push off my big toe.

Currently I am running in the Mizuno Wave Inspire and the Brooks Ravenna.  In the Ravenna, I am having discomfort/callousing along the inside of my big toes.  Bit of history, I had big problems with callouses & blisters along the entire inside of my foot when I ran in a heavier duty stability shoe (Saucony Hurricane).

I tried running in the Glycerin, and the foot discomfort went away.  But am I risking over injury if I switch to a neutral shoe? 

Had a bit of shin splints last year after trying to run a really fast 5K on concrete, but not other running injuries.

2011-01-28 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3326912

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Shoe question - support vs neutral shoe?
Go get your gait checked at your local running store - it's free whether you buy shoes there or not.  They will tell you if you pronate or not and let you know what category you fall into.  Once you know your category, it is "simply" an issue of trying on shoes in the category you're put into and finding what fits your foot best.  Being in the wrong shoes can derail your training and even cause injury...so go get checked out. 
2011-01-28 11:13 AM

User image

Runner
ersmith29 - 2011-01-28 12:00 PM

But am I risking over injury if I switch to a neutral shoe? 

Had a bit of shin splints last year after trying to run a really fast 5K on concrete, but not other running injuries.

No, you're not. Injury is far more likely to occur due to improper training.

If it feels better, then it probably is better. I'm willing to bet money the shin splints had nothing to do with choice in shoes.
2011-01-28 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3326927

Veteran
I did the analysis at Roadrunner (sorry if that wasn't clear in my original post)  They put me in the Ravenna.  I've had multiple analysis done at different local running stores, and I think they always put me in too much shoe.  Years ago - a very popular, respected local shop put me in the Brooks Ariel and insisted I needed motion control.  I've been gradually working my way down from there.

Problem is, I've never had them start with a neutral shoe to see if I even need stability/motion control.  I'm a heavier runner & I think they just assume I need heavy duty shoes/heavy control.  I've been rec'd the Hurricane so many times, and ran in them for probably 6-8 years, but the best thing I ever did for my feet was finally ditching the Hurricanes for less control!!
2011-01-28 11:44 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
You've already tried shoes with support, right? Do you know which brands your local shoe store carries? If so, you could do some online research so you know which models are neutral and go ask to try some of those on. Find some that fit well and buy them. Keep using your regular shoes most of the time but start trying out the neutral shoes on some shorter, easy runs. See how you feel and build up with them gradually. You may be pleasantly surprised and if not you can still use them for casual wear.

I did something like this with an impulse purchase at a race once. It was before all the fuss about minimalist shoes and I didn't even know what racing flats were but that's what I tried on and bought. They just felt so light. I've been buying light weight neutral shoes ever since. I'm not sure what you consider to be a "heavier" runner but I'm over 200# too.
2011-01-28 1:18 PM

Regular
Roadrunner Sport's (in-store, not online)

You in the right area....not sure why people don't utalize this more often.

I started out running for the 1st time fall of 2009.  I had no idea what kind of shoe I needed....ended up buying several different pairs before I found a pair that suited me and didn't cause any shin splints.  I was considered inbetween a medium and high arch.  At that point I was running in Asics DS Trainer 15.  This year, when it was time for some new shoes I was pondering if I should get the ned DS Trainers or a more neutral shoe.    ....So, what did I do?....

I bough the new DS Trainer 16 which is a performance stability shoe as well as the Asics DS Sky Speed which is a performance neutral shoe.  I ran in both of these shoes back and fourth for about 45 days trying to figure out which one suite me best.  Glad I did as in the end I felt the neutral shoe was better suited for me.  I returned the DS Trainers under RoadRunnerSports 60 day return policy and exchanged them for a 2nd pair of neutral shoes - Zoot Ultra Kalani as I've always wanted to try out a pair of Zoot's.

If your not sure, remember they have a 60 day return policy.  Really this is a great feature especially for those of us trying to figure out what type of shoe works best.

Michael

2011-01-28 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
ersmith29 - 2011-01-28 12:00 PM I tried running in the Glycerin, and the foot discomfort went away.  But am I risking over injury if I switch to a neutral shoe? 

I also have very high arches. I had all sorts of foot problems, including Plantar Faciatis. Ran in the Mizuno Waves & Addidas Supernovas.  Last year I switched to the Glycerins and things are much better. Listen to your body - if things feel good after a long run  then you are probably in the right shoes.
2011-01-28 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3326949

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Scout7 - 2011-01-28 12:13 PM
ersmith29 - 2011-01-28 12:00 PM   But am I risking over injury if I switch to a neutral shoe? 

No, you're not. Injury is far more likely to occur due to improper training. If it feels better, then it probably is better. I'm willing to bet money the shin splints had nothing to do with choice in shoes.

Agreed, except I believe certain shoes can allow you to ignore the improper-training feedback your legs should have been giving you.  Ironically, then, some of the shoes most often cited for helping prevent shin splints may in fact have a higher incidence of letting them develop.

No this is NOT a minimalist running advertisement.  I run in both Nike Air Structure Triax and Saucony Kinvaras... so generally I agree with Lance (and Scout)... it's not about the [shoe].
2011-01-28 6:00 PM

User image

Pro
Yeah- running stores are mostly still a bit old fashioned, trying to correct everything with shoes.  The research seems to point to erring on the side of a little less support. 

or, another way to say it.  more people end up with injuries that wear 'more' supportive shoes, than end up with injuries wearing 'less' supportive shoes. 

My advice- buy no more shoe than you absolutely need.  And- take it really slow, work on your stride, turnover rate, mid to forefoot strike, etc.  Your heart-lungs and muscles will develop much faster than all those ligaments, tendons and joints.
2016-03-31 6:14 AM
in reply to: ersmith29

I think that you should buy insoles and not worry to much about the shoe type because it is the insoles at the end of the day that give the support and correct problems.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoe question - support vs neutral shoe? Rss Feed