General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Be Careful - Cops in Central Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-30 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
London, England
Subject: Be Careful - Cops in Central Park
By now you've probably heard, but in case you haven't - the cops have gone nuts and started ticketing cyclists in Central Park.

They are ticketing for running red lights, even when the park is closed to vehicular traffic on the weekend.  Word is they've given out more than 2,000 tickets to cyclists already, and the fines are ranging from $240-270 a pop.

Not cool. 

2011-01-30 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3329225

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Be Careful - Cops in Central Park
fine PLUS 2 points on your license!!!
2011-01-30 4:44 PM

User image

Expert

Just another way to balance the budget....

2011-01-30 5:41 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
I have a court date tomorrow (Monday, Jan 31st) for riding in the park after 1am... They said they were enforcing a new zero tolerance policy for the curfew because there had been a big uptick in crime after dark. Funny though, I was there on New Year's Eve doing the midnight run and there were thousands of folks there...
2011-01-31 7:46 AM

Regular
NY
Wow, that's lame.

This is kind of unrelated, but this summer 7 or 8 of us were hanging out in Prospect Park on a blanket, far off the road. We had one bottle of wine and a few of us were drinking out of plastic cups. Two NYPD cars and one of those weird parking meter cars pulled up, with their lights on, and gave us all tickets. Dont the boys in blue have more important things to do?
2011-01-31 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
The “don’t they have anything better to do” philosophy only goes so far for me. It’s hard to fault cops for doing their jobs.

I feel the same way about this “zero-tolerance” policy. I also roll thru stop signs and the occasional red light, but I can’t argue with the practice of enforcing existing laws. There are a lot of cyclists who loudly complain that they deserve the same rights to the road as cars, but also blatantly ignore traffic laws and don’t see the contradiction. It’s a PITA, but, I think that the anger of generally-law-abiding cyclists is better-directed at some of the cyclists who speed through traffic recklessly, endangering themselves, pedestrians and other cyclists and generally making the rest of us look bad, rather than at the cops or the city.

Anyone who’s been in Prospect Park on the weekends has seen the huge peleton of cyclists flying around the park, ignoring pedestrian crossing signals and generally daring anyone, cyclist or pedestrian, to get in their way. That’s not right, either.

2011-01-31 11:47 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I don't have an issue with cops doing their jobs, but to ticket cyclists at red lights in the park when closed to cars is ABSURD!  It means no more testing for FTP in the park, because there is no way to do 20 minutes all out without hitting a light
2011-01-31 7:34 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
The lights are at crosswalks, I believe.

I'm a cyclist who also uses the park for other purposes, so I see both sides. It's not fair to pedestrians to have to hustle across the street, even though they have the signal in their favor just because some cyclists don't feel they're obligated slow down or stop to let them pass. I've seen plenty of near misses between people crossing with their dogs and their strollers and people on bikes who automatically assume that bikes are entitled to right of way. It's not a velodrome.

We can't demand the same rights as cars and not expect the same rules to apply to us.
2011-02-01 7:13 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
And I have more of an issue with pedestrians in the road, etc - then ticket jay walkers, and on my commutes, when cars ARE in the park, ticket the runners who use the bike lane when there is a running lane 2 feet away with the same pavement!

I also use the park to run etc but find this totally ridiculous.  If you are going to ticket cyclists then ticket pedestrians who just do whatever the heck they want ALL the time in the park.
2011-02-01 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Is there a law that as a cyclist you have to carry proper Identification? how do they know who you are? and will they know you again next week with your sunglasses and helmet? 

I used to get threatened by the cop with tickets for my dog stepping off the sidewalk (on the leash!)when the local field was posted "closed due to wetness".  I gave him my middle name and the wrong zipcode. 

aside from one's desire to be honest to a cop who couldn't pick you out of a lineup, is there anything to stop someone from giving a fake name and the cop knowing it was a fake name if, as US citizens, we are not required to carry ID? (unless we are illegal aliens...)

just curious. 
2011-02-01 4:20 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
yes it is illegal to give the wrong identity to a cop (at least in NY)

2011-02-01 10:46 PM
in reply to: #3332539

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
TriToy - 2011-02-01 7:13 AM

And I have more of an issue with pedestrians in the road, etc - then ticket jay walkers, and on my commutes, when cars ARE in the park, ticket the runners who use the bike lane when there is a running lane 2 feet away with the same pavement!

I also use the park to run etc but find this totally ridiculous.  If you are going to ticket cyclists then ticket pedestrians who just do whatever the heck they want ALL the time in the park.

Agree 100% with this part. The biggest traffic problem in NYC is not bikes or cabs or double-parked delivery trucks. It's pedestrians. I've had a million near-misses with clueless pedestrians. Try riding over the Brooklyn Bridge on a saturday.
2011-02-02 10:55 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
So not sure if any of you are up on this, but there was a meeting last night that CRCA, NYCC etc were all at, and basically the law is in the books that we have to stop at red lights all the time - a suggestion was floated that the DOT (who were not at the meeting) change the lights to flashing yellow when cars are not in the park and pedestrians can push a button for red....

The suggestion is to write/call your council member.  Here is what I wrote - it is the sample letter plus I added the commuting bit.  I also called and the assistant at my council woman's office like the idea of the lights in central park changing - the more of us who call and write the better!!!

Dear Councilperson [XXXX],

First of all thank you for your continued hard work on behalf of my district and the City of New York. I appreciate you taking the time to review this letter and would likewise be... thankful for any response you can provide.

I am writing regarding a recent "crackdown" by NYPD on cyclists in Central Park. I have heard numerous accounts of cyclists receiving tickets for as much as $250 for running red lights in the Park.

I am an avid cyclist who easily logs several thousand miles each year in the Park. I belong to a cycling club in the City that has hundreds of members who use the park regularly - often during the early morning weekday hours. While I have been spared ticketing so far, this new effort by the City is disturbing for several reasons.

I, like almost all cyclists I know, take safety seriously. We are constantly on the lookout for reckless drivers, unaware pedestrian tourists, and careless taxi patrons who can unintentional "door" us with disastrous results. We are also aware that there are some dangerous cyclists in the City, including but not limited to the ongoing problem with delivery persons (particularly those that now ride motorized scooters)

The NYPD crackdown seems to be an attempt to make the Park safer. However, the enforcement seems quite unfair. I have friends who have received tickets early in the morning or late at night when the Park is closed to car traffic and foot traffic is scarce. There are dozens of traffic lights on the Central Park loop. To target and ticket cyclists in a largely empty Park that is closed to cars (partly so cyclists and other pedestrians may enjoy safer riding) seems unreasonable.

If I were to enter the Park, at perhaps 6:00am or 7:00pm, and stop at every light, a formerly pleasant spin would be a worthless chore. Even worse, I have heard of bike commuters (who reduce congestion and pollution) who have been ticketed on the way to work. Shockingly, the enforcement is selective in nature. Pedestrians, skaters, and joggers who run red lights and/or jaywalk are exempt. Additionally, when I am commuting and cars ARE in the park, the numerous runners in the bike lane pose a danger to me - why they are not ticketed in this crackdown to make the park safer is a mystery to me.

If I may propose one potential solution - during car free hours the city can put the traffic lights in the park on flashing yellow with "press to walk" buttons for pedestrians. This would allow cyclists - particularly those of us who use the park during the wee morning hours when foot traffic is extremely sparse - to continuing using the park in a safe manner without having to stop at red lights that are essentially not in use.

I'm not sure who initiated this new policy and for what reason. I would kindly request that your office look into this matter. Safe recreational cyclists want to work with the City to make the park safer and the City as a whole a more pleasant place to live. I am certain that with rational discussion an amicable solution can be found for all of the parties involved.

you can find your council member here:
http://council.nyc.gov/html/members/members.shtml

Edited by TriToy 2011-02-02 10:57 AM
2011-02-02 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'm curious whether Transportation Alternatives is addressing the issue. I wrote to their Director of Bicycle Advocacy. I'll report back with what I hear from them.

2011-02-04 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Here's the response I got from Transportation Alternatives. Interesting.

Hi jmk,

Thanks for reaching out to T.A. with your inquiry on this matter.

Unfortunately, this is not the only battle we are fighting right now, nor
is it the most threatening to the health of bicycling in NYC. You
probably heard that many want to halt the city's efforts to make biking
safer, and require all cyclists to go through an onerous registration
process.

Fact is this "crackdown" will probably blow over here soon. That is not
to say that we are not fighting it, or searching for a more rational
solution for management and enforcement on the loop drive. We've known
for years that cyclists buzzing pedestrians in the park (and other places)
is a problem that stokes ire and political outrage far out of proportion
with how often it happens, and that rogue bikers are a drop in the bucket
compared to motorist induced carnage and fear. But the reality is that
the powers that be are fed up with bad bike behavior, and have instructed
the NYPD to do something about it. The NYPD, instead of adopting a
consistent and fair strategy targeting the worst bike behavior, has just
been enforcing at locations where they can maximize summonses, and popping
cyclists punitively. It's going to have a severe deterrent effect on
biking unless they change course. We are redoubling our efforts to 'educate
our own' but also implore the NYPD to:

* Focus on sidewalk riding and riding the wrong way, the bike behaviors
that are most hazardous to all road users
* Reinvigorate the moribund cops-on-bikes program
* Work with the Central Park Conservancy and the bike community to adopt a fair enforcement
strategy for the loop drive

Specifically, we want the CPC to work with the NYPD to target
locations where there have been continued reports of cyclists failing
to yield to pedestrians, which is by far the most important thing
cyclists can do to better bicycling behavior in NYC. And yes, TA has
proposed the idea of changing the signal timing in the park during car
free hours to make lights flashing yellow, as one way to facilitate
recreation while still making safety a priority on the loop drive.

If you have further questions certainly let me know.

Best,
Aja
2011-02-04 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Interesting response.  I think right now the broke city is making such a mint off 'wealthy' riders that until that slows down we will continue to see this ticketing.  It is when it costs more to have the patrols out there than they take in that it will stop, and that does not seem to be soon.

I have to say that if I am riding at 5:30AM I am NOT stopping for lights, and if one of those 3 wheel do hickeys chases me then I am sprinting and doing VO2max efforts.

We have no law about carrying ID and I am not just rolling over.  They will have to catch me first and then go from there.

2011-02-17 2:54 PM

Even before this current crackdown I never understood Central Park or Prospect Park biking rules.  Regrardless the time of day, open or close to traffic, if you are riding on the bike lane in the park, are you suppose to stop at a red light or yield to pedestrians.  I've always thought that as long as you are on the bike lane at the park you can go throught the red light as long as you are on the bike lane. 

I agree with a previous posts before, so much for the Central Park Pelotons. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Be Careful - Cops in Central Park Rss Feed