RunTex
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 57s
Overall Rank = 600/1013
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 21/41
Pre-race routine:

Woke-up 4:30AM and had Oatmeal, wheat germ and flax seed (USUAL Breakfast) and 1 cup of coffee. Then started working on a 1 liter bottle of water.
Event warmup:

Easy but too short run along Hike-n-Bike trail. NO SWIM warm-up.
Swim
  • 25h 52m
  • 1640 yards
  • 1h 34m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Real struggle the first 600m as it's hard for me to go from 90 degrees and 80% humidity to a cold 70degree water. I have historically started poorly at this race, even with my precautions against my asthma.
What would you do differently?:

Get in water earlier and warm-up alot more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

It's a long run from the swim finish (150 yards) into T1 and then to the bike mount line (100 yards). I got into T1 ok and changed out of my suit with no problems. The ground was soaked from the downpour the previous night but my area was ok. Running out of T1 was muddy and I was glad that I ran barefoot with my shoes on the pedals. I saw a few people struggling to get into the ckips through all the mud. All I had was mud in my shoes:)

Carry bike through the mud.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 24s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.04 mile/hr
Comments:

I had some trouble getting into my shoes with a large group in front dealing with the mud and then you start uphill and around a corner. I struggled the first lap to find my breath and bike legs and then I started to really fly. I averaged 20mph on the course and I noticed that I reached 34 mph max on my cyclo computer so I was moving on the downhills and must have really slowed on the uphills. I was pleased with the time (another 4 minutes and I would have been in the top 10).

More hill training and techincal practice (ie, fast cornering, acceleration out of turns, etc).
Transition 2
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

I felt good going into T2 (unlike last year) but I took longer than I thought getting on the water bottle belt(just trying it).

Don't worry about the belt. I tried it this year because last year the water stops had trouble keeping up with demand and I needed water more due to the 110 heat index.
Run
  • 1h 05m 13s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

What can I say? I stink at running but I still had a decent time (for me). My best 10k time is 59:57 (Statesman 10k- 2005) and I ran a 1:05 after the swim and bike. I walked too much mostly due to poor hydration on the bike and not working hard enough on run training.

Hydrate better on the bike, more track work in training, don't carry additional water bottle.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around finish line talking to all my tri buddies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration, run training, asthma

Event comments:

This was my best Olympic time to date but still off my goal by 15 minutes. I took 34 minutes off last year with better training and experince and I expect to take the last big improvement off next year. I'd like to get down to a 2:30 Olympic. This is definatly a race to do every year. It's crowded and hot but turning into a first rate race through scenic downtown Austin. I'd like to see a Half or Whole Ironman Race come to Austin and this might be the race to do it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
25:52:00 | 1640 yards | 1h 34m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/41
Overall: 259/1013
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless Orca Wetsuit
Course: Rectangle course starting in middle and going downstream in the Colorado River (Town Lake) then turning and heading upstream before final turn back to start/finish area.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:14:24 | 24.85 miles | 20.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/41
Overall: 408/1013
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: I really like this course, even with the 4 lap format and all the first time triathletes. It has a good mix of straights and technical turns (2 180 degree turns) and one fast and dangerous corner. However, it has some nice steady downhill sections that allow you to add some nice speed and recovery.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:05:13 | 06.21 miles | 10m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/41
Overall: 870/1013
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 lap winding course around the lake and downtown. No Shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes