Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Bala Falls Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-18 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Bala Falls Triathlon : Official Thread
I just registered for this event yesterday. I'm looking forward to it because the scenery is supposed to be amazing!

2011-05-10 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3362106

Subject: RE: Bala Falls Triathlon : Official Thread

Have you done one before?  I'm doing the Bala July 24th Tri-Triathlon and have no clue what I am doing or how or what to expect.  Any help would be appreicated.

For example I have trained and took lessons on Tri-Swimming..I currently run marathons so I was looking for another challenge.

1. I'm using an older mountain bike ( Didn't want a to buy a new one till I see if this is for me) What type of tires do I need to put on it?

2. How does the swim-bike change go???  What do you wear?

I'm nervous can you tell..thanks for any help you can give

Kristy - Bowmanville

2011-06-20 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3492369

Tires with less tread is better. Go into your local bike shop and ask for the size you need, probably 26 x 1.5-1.75 and for slicks. If this is your first race go with a tire with a low profile tread on it.

The swim bike change is really easy and for any last minute doubts there is a Pre race briefing in the morning. As far as clothing, wear what you feel comfortable in. Wetsuits probably won't be allowed due to a water temperature of above 78 degrees so if you want to throw some running shorts on for your bike or run then do so!

When you run into Transition, look for your age group sign and find your bike. BEFORE you touch your bike, your helmet must be on your head and fastened up!! Very important, strictly enforced. You can choose to have a towel there to clean your feet off if you want to wear socks for the bike and run sections. Then put your shoes on and any other gear you need, walk/run your bike out of the Bike Course exit gantry and get on your bike ONLY at the Mount line.

2011-06-21 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3559183

Veteran
London, Ontario

Thanks Owen but there are a few things I would like to add. Do not assume that this will be a non-wetsuit swim. We start taking the temperature of the water about a week out and post it on the series website. The final decision will be made on race day but generally, if it is borderline as a non-wetsuit swim, we will allow athletes who are very unsure of their swim to use a wetsuit, unless it is so hot it is unsafe. 

Bikes are NOT racked by age group they are racked by BIB number. You will still be racking with your age group because the BIB numbers are assigned that way. So, remember your BIB number for when you rack. 

Edited by John Salt 2011-06-21 7:10 AM
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Bala Falls Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed