General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2011-09-24 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3363922

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Subject: RE: IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread

For those IM Coz veterans and locals,  how easy is it going to be for my wife to go from the swim park back to town.  She usually waits until I get out of the water. Is there going to be shuttles or taxi services ?

getting more and more exited by the day !!!

2011-09-26 3:44 PM

User image

I am active on a couple dive boards and know some folks down there, thought I'd share something you and your sherpas should be aware of.  Not being reactionary, just spreading information - There is a pretty decent outbreak of dengue fever on Coz right now, anywhere from 300-600 cases, depending on whom you believe, including some hemmhoragic ones. A friend of mine just got it for the second time

By November hopefully a norte will have come through and blown the bad mozzies away, but might want to make sure you and your sherpas pack the DEET just in case. They can still be biting in Nov - Dec. I am told you can't get anything over "__%" (something low, can't recall) DEET down there, so even the locals are asking visitors to bring some with them from the states. Spray especially feet/ankles, wear light colors, cover up as much as possible....

2011-09-26 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3701061

User image

Master
South Florida

ChrisM - 2011-09-26 4:44 PM I am active on a couple dive boards and know some folks down there, thought I'd share something you and your sherpas should be aware of.  Not being reactionary, just spreading information - There is a pretty decent outbreak of dengue fever on Coz right now, anywhere from 300-600 cases, depending on whom you believe, including some hemmhoragic ones. A friend of mine just got it for the second time

By November hopefully a norte will have come through and blown the bad mozzies away, but might want to make sure you and your sherpas pack the DEET just in case. They can still be biting in Nov - Dec. I am told you can't get anything over "__%" (something low, can't recall) DEET down there, so even the locals are asking visitors to bring some with them from the states. Spray especially feet/ankles, wear light colors, cover up as much as possible....

THANK YOU for the HEADS UP!  I am a magnet for all things that bite!!! 

2011-09-27 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3698810

User image

When I did the race in 2009 my wife was able to get a taxi from Chankanaab to downtown.  The taxis have back roads that are open to them during the day as I recall.

BTW....loved this race so much...doing it again this year.  You won't want the swim to end.  It's like swimming in an aquarium.  Safety divers at the bottom where the buoy was anchored and they're waiving to the athletes.  We also saw a huge ray.  Bike and run are so well supported and every resident of the island (that's not driving a taxi or volunteering) is out there supporting.

Ooo...more excited now than I was 2 minutes ago!!
2011-09-30 5:34 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
8 weeks to go!!!  Hope everyone is feeling good and getting ready for some fun
2011-09-30 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3706083

User image

Veteran
In T1 looking for my Schwinn Huffy

Mimir98 - 2011-09-30 5:34 AM 8 weeks to go!!!  Hope everyone is feeling good and getting ready for some fun

8 weeks?!?  When you put it like THAT, it doesn't seem like enough time to train! Laughing   Good luck with peak training!

2011-09-30 8:52 AM

User image

Regular

I am getting excited! I had a good race at Rev3 full, did a two week recovery, and now I am back at it again training for cozumel.

Very excited! We are staying at Hotel Cozumel. I got our plane tickets, but I need  to book our tri bike transport.

It is going to be such a great race!

2011-09-30 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3706083

User image

Veteran
Belize
I'm feeling good about my training. I did the Cancun Half Ironman 12 days ago and I feel like I have just fully recovered. I feel like I am in the best shape of my life right now. Last night I had a really good long run. I ran 13.26 miles in 2:09:29.  That's the longest distance I have ever run and amazingly, my legs feel great this morning. Cozumel will be fun.
2011-09-30 10:50 AM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)

7 weeks of training, 1 week of tapper/travel.... I am getting exited and nervous at the same time.   The weather is getting colder around here so no more hot weather  training, oh well.

Bike is on track, run in on track, swim is behind a little... 

All the logistics are done and taken care of.  Just more training left to do...

2011-10-01 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3706513

User image

Master
South Florida

David_Zen - 2011-09-30 11:45 AM I'm feeling good about my training. I did the Cancun Half Ironman 12 days ago and I feel like I have just fully recovered. I feel like I am in the best shape of my life right now. Last night I had a really good long run. I ran 13.26 miles in 2:09:29.  That's the longest distance I have ever run and amazingly, my legs feel great this morning. Cozumel will be fun.

awesome!  the body is pretty amazing, eh? 

2011-10-01 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3706527

User image

Master
South Florida
MrSolis - 2011-09-30 11:50 AM

7 weeks of training, 1 week of tapper/travel.... I am getting exited and nervous at the same time.   The weather is getting colder around here so no more hot weather  training, oh well.

Bike is on track, run in on track, swim is behind a little... 

All the logistics are done and taken care of.  Just more training left to do...

We are currently 90 degrees, but only 48% humidity, down from the 87% this morning!  Cozumel checks in at 84 degrees, 70% humidity, down from 97% this morning!  

2011-10-01 1:53 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
had a chat with my friend while biking this am..she was talking about an episode of "Endurance Traveler" from last year where the dude did IM COZ....his advice?  The wind picks up significantly throughout the day...so he said he would do the opposite of what we are all told to do and go hard the first loop to prepare for the eventual slow down on the following loops...not sure I could buy into that one but interesting idea! 
2011-10-03 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3707618

User image

Veteran

Mimir98 - 2011-10-01 1:53 PM had a chat with my friend while biking this am..she was talking about an episode of "Endurance Traveler" from last year where the dude did IM COZ....his advice?  The wind picks up significantly throughout the day...so he said he would do the opposite of what we are all told to do and go hard the first loop to prepare for the eventual slow down on the following loops...not sure I could buy into that one but interesting idea! 

Glad you brought this up because I've been trying to get some advice on how best to deal with this situation (i.e. loop course where wind picks throughout the day).  Most feedback has been to ride the first lap easy to conserve energy (physical and mental) for the inevitable frustration as wind picks up.   Then be patient and not try to 'beat' the wind during the last two loops.  I've also decided to do most of my remaining time in saddle on the trainer to simulate the constant-pedalling nature of the flat course.  At first, my trainer time was more by necessity (worst heat wave/drought ever Texas), but now I think the mental battles on the trainer may be helpful prep for the inevitable headgames from riding long stretches in head/cross wind.  Not sure but we'll see.  I will probably throw my trainer off a canyon cliff when this is over

2011-10-03 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3708877

User image

New user

San Francisco
For what its worth, last year I did Cozumel (my first IM), I took the conservative approach to the bike.  It was tough getting passed by everyone on the first lap.  By the third lap, I was passing folks who had gone out too hard. Not too sure I'd recommend going out the gate hard, its a long day.
2011-10-03 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3707614

User image

New user

San Francisco
Regarding the heat, one idea folks might want to consider is Bikram Yoga.  Lving in SF, we don't get alot of heat and certainly not leading up to Cozumel.  I did Bikram 3 days a week for the last month before Cozumel, and it helped a ton.  Also a side benefit is the stretching helps prevent injuries.  I know its hard to fit one more thing in, but worth considering.
2011-10-03 1:03 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
My coach's best advice to me before one of my Ironman's was "let the day come to you"...definitely will start out conservative...just thought it was an interesting take. We have pretty much the same conditions in SoFla as Cozumel, but maybe not quite as humid or windy...although I've been caught in 50mph sustained winds before. 15-20mph winds are not uncommon. We are also FLAT so I am used to pedaling nonstop...humidity seems to be higher in Cozumel, which seems impossible! Hoping this all works in my favor come race day!!Big volume week ahead...love it!!! This is my favorite part of IM training

2011-10-10 12:02 AM
in reply to: #3706513

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
Good for you!  I had to take almost all of September off due to my son needing a lung resection (in a town 5 hours away from home) and I was gone from home almost a whole month.  I'm in a bit of a panic trying to get the training back in. 
2011-10-10 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3707618

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Mimir98 - 2011-10-01 2:53 PM had a chat with my friend while biking this am..she was talking about an episode of "Endurance Traveler" from last year where the dude did IM COZ....his advice?  The wind picks up significantly throughout the day...so he said he would do the opposite of what we are all told to do and go hard the first loop to prepare for the eventual slow down on the following loops...not sure I could buy into that one but interesting idea! 

That is very interesting.

When I did Cozumel the first year the winds not only picked up, but they started to change!! Since I had mechanical issues and lost nearly 45 mins- 1 hr, my bike split was crazy slow and I was out there forever.  By my last loop the winds had changed- and instead of getting a super nice tailwind coming back into town it changed into a head/cross wind.  Talk about frustrating.  It was getting to a point to where I didn't get any help to make up from the headwind and cross winds that I had earlier on that lap.

Honestly, with that said I'd have to somewhat agree with the concept above.  Definitely don't go balls to the wall the first lap and turn your legs into rubber.  But if I had to do it all over again, I'd do whatever I needed to do to get as done as fast as I could without killing myself  

2011-10-11 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3717348

User image

Master
South Florida

kathy caribe - 2011-10-10 1:02 AM Good for you!  I had to take almost all of September off due to my son needing a lung resection (in a town 5 hours away from home) and I was gone from home almost a whole month.  I'm in a bit of a panic trying to get the training back in. 

YIKES!!!   Sorry to hear that about your son  hope all is well now!  some things are just more important that Ironman...  You will be ok..maybe not as solid as you had hoped, but look what you just survived!  IM will be like a piece of cake  

2011-10-17 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3717715

User image

Atlanta, GA
runnergirl - 2011-10-10 12:13 PM

Mimir98 - 2011-10-01 2:53 PM had a chat with my friend while biking this am..she was talking about an episode of "Endurance Traveler" from last year where the dude did IM COZ....his advice?  The wind picks up significantly throughout the day...so he said he would do the opposite of what we are all told to do and go hard the first loop to prepare for the eventual slow down on the following loops...not sure I could buy into that one but interesting idea! 

That is very interesting.

I think it's interesting, too, but ultimately, I think that going really hard and trying to "beat the wind" on your bike is a bad idea.  An increasing wind will slow you down in the second and third loops, but it will slow you down even more if you have blown all of your reserves on the first lap.  And this is not even taking that pesky 26.2 mile run into account.    

For those who live in hilly areas (like my wife and me), a race on a flat, windy course can be a real challenge.  We're accustomed to changes in cadence and gearing, and we have trained ourselves to get out of the aero position from time to time in order to push up a hill or off a corner.  Pedaling non-stop, staying low, and maintaining a steady effort for the entire ride will be tough.  Doing a ride on a flat, windy course can be like riding on a course with a lot of uphills that require more effort and slow you down, yet no downhills for you to coast, recover, and still make up for lost time.

On a different note, is anyone planning on wearing a swimskin?  I'm a terrible swimmer, so I will probably get one in hopes that it will help me to go a little faster.  Any boost I can get . . . even if it's only a minute or two . . . is worth it for me on the swim.

Less than six weeks!!!  

2011-10-18 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3727728

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member

It's been a while since I've been on this thread. I've been gearing up for IMFL (I know - I screwed up - but I'm going to follow-thru). I'm not sure if it's been put out but Tri Bike Transport is providing service - http://www.tribiketransport.com/events.html-

See you in Mexico.

2011-10-18 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3727728

I was talking to a guy who has done 12 IM and he seemed to think that the salt water would at least provide some additional buoyancy.  Not slacking on my swim or wearing a swimskin but that at least gave me a little consolation.  Good training everyone!
2011-10-18 9:15 PM
in reply to: #3720096

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
Mimir98 - 2011-10-11 8:29 PM

kathy caribe - 2011-10-10 1:02 AM Good for you!  I had to take almost all of September off due to my son needing a lung resection (in a town 5 hours away from home) and I was gone from home almost a whole month.  I'm in a bit of a panic trying to get the training back in. 

YIKES!!!   Sorry to hear that about your son  hope all is well now!  some things are just more important that Ironman...  You will be ok..maybe not as solid as you had hoped, but look what you just survived!  IM will be like a piece of cake  

Yeah, now I'm looking to just finish.  Next year will be my do-over.    See you on the island.

2011-10-18 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3729149

User image

Atlanta, GA

NewTriGuy69 - 2011-10-18 8:25 PM I was talking to a guy who has done 12 IM and he seemed to think that the salt water would at least provide some additional buoyancy.  Not slacking on my swim or wearing a swimskin but that at least gave me a little consolation.  Good training everyone!

That gives me a lot of consolation, too.  I'm kinda counting on it, actually.  Laughing

2011-10-19 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3729311

User image

Veteran
Hi, what are people's thoughts on using racing wheels at IM COZ.  I know that solid disks on back wheel are prohibited but is anyone planning on using deeper front and back wheels?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9