Great Aloha Run
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 00m 41s
Overall Rank = 353/19210
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 55/1516
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at around 3 AM. I napped most of Saturday, so 4 hours of sleep wasn't a big deal. I woke up feeling fresh, but my legs were still sore from Saturday's hammerfest. Ate oatmeal and 2 apple bananas. Drove to the finish area and caught the shuttle to the start line.
Event warmup:

Luckily my company's downtown office is 2 minutes from the starting line. So we had an area set asside for employees to stretch out, warm up, and use the restrooms. The lines outside for the porta potty's was ridiculous. Stretched out and chatted with coworkers till about 6:40, then made my way to the start line.
Run
  • 1h 00m 41s
  • 8.15 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I got within about 125 feet of the starting line. Immediately I knew I would be weaving and jostling for the first half mile. There's over 23,000 participants...most of which are joggers/walkers. And sure enough, there's some old grandmas, kids, and just people you know don't belong up front. I can't understand why they don't stage this race better. Someone seriously can get trampled to death.

So gun goes off and I'm literally forcing my way between people. There was more contact in the first quarter mile than any of my OWS races. People literally walking 5-7 wide. WTF...get a clue people.

Ok...anyway...onto the running. I didn't see any of the mile markers, until mile 4...which is about half way. So I have no idea how fast I'm going, just that my legs don't feel very good. They just felt heavy and fatigued from Saturday. My original goal was 1:04, or about 7:50 miles...and I was having doubts until I reached mile 4...and realized I was pacing close to 7:20.

At this point, I'm wondering to myself if I should try to crack 1 hour. My legs are starting to revolt...but it's only 4 more miles. It's at this point that my lack of experience hurt me. I eased up a bit instead of pushing through. I had no idea how bad I should be hurting at this point as I don't do 10ks.

Next few miles we're in the 7:35-7:50 range. I handled the hills pretty well, then pushed hard down the finish. I knew 1 hour was out of reach, so I didn't have much motivation to really red line it. Pretty happy everything considered though. No way I thought I could go under 1:01...even on fresh legs. I guess all my run training is really paying off.
What would you do differently?:

Not push the bike so hard on Saturday. Push harder during the middle miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, sports drink, bananna, and some pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatigue in my legs and inexperience in shorter races.

Last updated: 2011-01-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:41 | 08.15 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 55/1516
Overall: 353/19210
Performance: Good
Course: Starts at Aloha Tower and goes through Nimitz Hwy to Aloha Stadium. Pretty much flat with the exception of 2 small hills in the last 2.5 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-02-21 2:19 PM

User image

Subject: Great Aloha Run

2011-02-21 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3365518

Lancaster
Subject: RE: Great Aloha Run
Well done.  Great way to open the race season.  Probably a sub hour if walkers would learn some courtesy and start in the back.
2011-02-22 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
For your expectations going in and how you ran that race I would say that you rocked that course! Way to go and push yourself, that must really boost your confidence with progress like that.
2011-02-22 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Nice race!  As clydenewb said, the walkers probably slowed you down and kept you from that 1 hr mark.  I kinda know what you're talking about when your legs weren't fresh for the run.  I had similar legs when I ran 9 rode 1.5 hrs.  and then tried to PR a 5k, all with in a 26-28 hour window.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Aloha Run Rss Feed