General Discussion Triathlon Talk » good idea, bad idea - re: bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-08 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: good idea, bad idea - re: bike

I've been working back up my endurance mostly on the spin bike at the gym.  I was up to about "18-20 miles" (per the bike) in one sitting.  But then I've been a bum for the last two weeks.

I have a meeting this Saturday that is 11.5 miles from my apartment.  I'm hoping I can tune up my bike before then, so I can break it out.  My ride would be a timed 11.5 miles there (have to make it by meeting time - but would probably give myself an hour just to be safe), about 3 hours of sitting/talking, then another, easy 11.5 miles home.

For not knowing the route (have it printed, will have my GPS (not bike gps - just phone w/ one ear-but in, if following the printed is too hard) with me), and it being my first outdoor ride in...a very very long time - is this too aggressive, or would it be a good wakeup?

I'm afraid of getting to my meeting and then not having enough juice to get home, and being stranded with my bike :-p

2011-03-08 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3388366

User image

New user
Subject: RE: good idea, bad idea - re: bike

Not sure of the grade or if you have head wind or tail wind, but if you are worried about having enough energy for the way back, I would go slower on the way out.  Also, does a hour cover if you have a flat tire?  It might be better to have someone drive you there with your bike and go for a 23 miler on the way home, vs two 11.5s.  

2011-03-08 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran

from driving there (different route - I take freeways when driving), it's very slightly downhill on the way there (at least I know the first 5 miles are).  Which is actually what scares me about coming back!

I do have a flat kit on my bike, and it's not absolutely necessary that I'm there (not leading it or anything - and it is a recurring meeting), so if I get a flat, it's not the end of the world...

2011-03-08 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3388416

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I think the bike is the easiest thing to add a lot of mileage.  I think you won't have any problem at ALL.  Some things to keep in mind:
  1. Don't spend yourself on the way there
  2. Make sure to have enough to eat when you arrive AND before you go home, basically account for the riding plus your activities of the day in general
  3. Stash an extra energy gel or bar for the ride home, just in case.
  4. Bring money
  5. If you're getting pooped, slow down! 
I would be VERY surprised if this was a problem.  You'll be happy and tired when you get home.
2011-03-08 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
Savannah
rbtrumpet - 2011-03-08 12:24 PM

I've been working back up my endurance mostly on the spin bike at the gym.  I was up to about "18-20 miles" (per the bike) in one sitting.  But then I've been a bum for the last two weeks.

I have a meeting this Saturday that is 11.5 miles from my apartment.  I'm hoping I can tune up my bike before then, so I can break it out.  My ride would be a timed 11.5 miles there (have to make it by meeting time - but would probably give myself an hour just to be safe), about 3 hours of sitting/talking, then another, easy 11.5 miles home.

For not knowing the route (have it printed, will have my GPS (not bike gps - just phone w/ one ear-but in, if following the printed is too hard) with me), and it being my first outdoor ride in...a very very long time - is this too aggressive, or would it be a good wakeup?

I'm afraid of getting to my meeting and then not having enough juice to get home, and being stranded with my bike :-p

Why don't you just ride the bike route in the car prior to the meeting?  That way you have a chance to get familiar with the route.  I don't know if this is necessary or not, but if its a high traffic route it would help.

2011-03-08 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3388503

User image

Fitness wise, I don't think you should have a problem. 

But if you honestly are not familiar with the roads you would be riding on with your bike, to the point you feel like you need a map and a GPS, then I would strongly consider at least driving the route you would be biking first.

Just because there is a road on a map, it doesn't mean it's safe for biking.  Some roads have narrow or no shoulders, low visibility, huge potholes, etc.  There are some parts of town you do not want to be on the side of the road chaning a flat.  If I'm riding through a busy area, I almost never take the shortest route.  I take the most bike friendly route.  I avoid busy intersections...especially if there is a stop sign or red light on a hill.  Makes for clipping back in very interesting.

2011-03-08 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Give yourself a little extra time and get out there and do it!

ok more seriously I am a big planner but if you have driven the route you would bike and if you are prepared otherwise in case lost (map/gps etc) and could take care of the normal emergency repair issues like flats etc - you should be ok!

2011-03-08 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran

Take a cell phone and have someone out there to pick you up if needed.

But you won't need it.  Take food and go easy if you get slow.  As long as you don't totally spend yourself, you will recover and be able to continue on.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » good idea, bad idea - re: bike Rss Feed